The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

French Racehorse Names

Home Forums Horse Racing French Racehorse Names

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I’m sure we’ve covered this before but if we have I’ve forgotten, so apologies in advance, but it occurred to me the other day that despite a reasonable knowledge of French, I haven’t a bull’s notion what these weird compound French racehorse names mean. The same prefixes and suffixes seem to crop up a lot too. Can anyone explain the origin and meaning of such names as Patman and Pablo de Charmil, Ofarel d’Airy and so on and if there’s a system of naming of some kind like in trotting?

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

some i understand, some i don’t

this one, i do : http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=582345

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

For A.Q.P.S. (Autre Que Pur Sang) horses, which includes trotters, anglo-arabs, as well as what we would call "half-breds", each year requires a horse’s name to begin with a designated letter of the alphabet. For example, foals of 2002 have names beginning with the letter "O", 2003 "P" and so on.

As for suffixes, they may be the family name of the breeder, or the name of their farm, or the name of the local village. "Collonges", for example, is a place name.

In English, because of the different grammatical structure of the language, prefixes are used, rarely with racehorses, but often with pedigree cats, dogs, cattle etc.

The Aga Khan gives his racehorses names beginning with the same letter as that of their dams.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

my favourite horse name ever was Sabin du Loir; we had a French student stay with us one year and she couldn’t explain the origin of it..have always meant to ask about ‘Collonges’….so thanks for info….

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

The French names are great i think.

Ocean Du Moilin, Lou Du Moulin Mas, Obelix De Longechaux, etc…

All good names.

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

Made In France has to be the best named French bred!

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

The "Moulin Mas" suffix comes from the name of a vineyard or farm, I believe, but I might be wrong.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Moulin Mas. Moulin is a mill and Mas is a regional name for a house in Provence. So its a Provincal mill house in my book.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Made In France has to be the best named French bred![/quote

I will take you on with "A French Horse" – great name :lol: .

It’s as if the owners pondered for ages about a name and then, as they drank more wine, they just thought to hell with it, let’s just call it A French Horse – classic :lol:

Mike

beckster
    • Total Posts 292

azertyuiop is the topline of a french typewriter,ile find out bout collonge as in neptune………..

quixallcrossett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 358

Made In France has to be the best named French bred![/quote

I will take you on with "A French Horse" – great name :lol: .

It’s as if the owners pondered for ages about a name and then, as they drank more wine, they just thought to hell with it, let’s just call it A French Horse – classic :lol:

Mike

That’s probably right, the owner is Sir Clement Freud!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

it even beats ‘weareagrandmother’…..or [?]nous sommes unes grande-meres [yes I know the grammar/spelling is a bit wonky!]

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

azertyuiop is the topline of a french typewriter

I always wondered about that. I made the connection regarding the top line of a keyboard, but was then perplexed as to why the horse wasn’t called ‘Qwertyuiop’! :lol:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I knew that the ever-helpful Wit had done something on this subject, though it took me a while to find it.

https://theracingforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10546&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

beckster
    • Total Posts 292

azertyuiop is the topline of a french typewriter

I always wondered about that. I made the connection regarding the top line of a keyboard, but was then perplexed as to why the horse wasn’t called ‘Qwertyuiop’! :lol:

ha ha yea it took me a long time to work it out it 1st letter on 2nd n 3rd row then rest top line strange really… :wink:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.