The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

French Classics – French Form

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks French Classics – French Form

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 439 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 629

Nice Irish :wink: Hope you stopped following ‘EQ’ after that victory at Ascot and change of trainer?!

Kop – You’d think that the jock’s would be aware of a false pace…even some of the home team were caught out! :lol:
    The first two home led all through – ‘Media’ (over priced @12’s for one that was unbeaten) fought back well…having done all of the donky!
    The Hannon filly is to run over the classical distance next time so maybe Hughes should have made more use of her early?

I see that JC has sneaked one into the Force…

Look forward to seeing if ‘Dolled’ gets the trip! Also entered over 6f elsewhere…

Pity that the Font has such a small field…thought that we’d see some new faces turning up… :|

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Darn right Zenjah – I’m on Silverside now :lol:

• Total Posts 629

‘Yosolito’ Amigo! :D

• Total Posts 629

Thursday Saint Cloud Report – Dariole heads for top class

Thursday 22nd April 2010, Saint-Cloud. Dariole (Highest Honor) earned herself the right to take on the best of her generation by winning the €80,000 Prix Pénélope (Gr3-3yo Fillies-2,100m). Owned by Patrick Barbe, the filly tracked A Media Luz (Johann Quatz), before accelerating impressively in the straight to get the better of the Yannick Fouin’s tough filly, who finished second by a neck. The English raider Middle Club (Fantastic Light) took her time to get into her stride dead heat with A Media Luz for second place. “I was a little worried because it hasn’t been very long since her last run”, explained Pascal Bary. “We wanted to see if she was as good on soft ground as she was on heavy ground. She showed herself to be brave today. She really is a good filly, who has only been in training for a year. She is not entered in the Saint-Alary (editor’s note; the 23rd of May), but supplementing her is a possibility. I am also delighted because she is a daughter of Highest Honor, a horse that I loved when he was in training with me.” Patrick Barbe, in whose colours Dariole runs, was also overjoyed by the his filly’s win: “She has a great future ahead of her, especially as she is most definitely better on softer ground. She should hopefully have a good autumn. My son announced that she is going to win the Prix Vermeille! Supplementing her in the Saint-Alary is not out of the question.” A Media Luz, who had her first run alongside Dariole, at Fontainebleau, lost her unbeaten record in this race. “The winner had a better run than our filly”, analysed Yannick Fouin. “I would have liked more pace, and it didn’t suit mine to be in front. Then winner went one or two lengths clear but my filly battled back. She should now go for the Saint-Alary. I didn’t enter her in the Classics by accident…”
    As for Middle Club, the winner of the Prix d’Aumale last year, the entourage explained that the filly would be better on 2.400 meters. It is therefore considering participation in a Gr3 on the classic distance, in Italy or France, and plans for Diane seem to compromise her.

• Total Posts 629

A return to France to Dar Re Mi?

Friday, April 23, 2010 5:40 p.m.
    John Gosden was present at Sandown Park on Friday when he saddled Fallen Idol, winner of the Esher Cup disability. He also took second place with Azmeel behind Chabal in the Classic Trial (Gr3). But despite its many starters, he found time to give news of the filly Dar Re Mi, "She probably will play the Coronation Cup at Epsom or the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud, but his main goal remains the summer King George. "

Could be a clash with ‘Daryakana’ somewhere along the line… :shock:

• Total Posts 629

‘Dibir’ goes to Marseille-Borely in search of a win today…

Mme C. Head-Maarek has some entered up – so we’ll see if her stable is coming into form yet…

Saturday Marseille Report – Dibir makes it three in a row for Rouget

Saturday 24th April 2010, Marseille-Borély. After the wins of Nizamabad and Ticoz, in the last two runnings of the €30,000 Prix Via Milano (3yos-2,000m), Jean-Claude Rouget followed up for a third consecutive time with Dibir (Shamardal) in this prep race for the Prix Georges Trabaud. He won with more ease than the winning distance of two lengths indicates. "I was a little worried just in front of the stands as he was a little in the “red”, announced winning jockey Ioritz Mendizabal. “But once he got round the first bend things were much better. It was only a formality and he won without having an unnecessarily hard race."
    Very satisfied with his charge’s performance, Jean-Claude Rouget commented: "He is a very good colt, who disappointed me a bit on his last start at Longchamp. But I don’t think he handled the sticky ground that day." Duo Victorieux(Victory Note) was not disgraced in finishing second two lengths behind the winner.

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Nice Irish :wink: Hope you stopped following ‘EQ’ after that victory at Ascot and change of trainer?!

Kop – You’d think that the jock’s would be aware of a false pace…even some of the home team were caught out! :lol:
    The first two home led all through – ‘Media’ (over priced @12’s for one that was unbeaten) fought back well…having done all of the donky!
    The Hannon filly is to run over the classical distance next time so maybe Hughes should have made more use of her early?

Couldn’t agree more, jockeys and pace. :roll:

Looking forward to today and hoping that A du Royer-Dupré has a good day. He was interviewed on ATR this lunchtime and was keen to mention Darma and how she could be the one. I know she was highly thought of last year, good to know she’s on her way back.

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Not Mossé’s finest hour on Siyouni :shock:

• Total Posts 629

:roll:

Looking forward to today and hoping that A du Royer-Dupré has a good day. He was interviewed on ATR this lunchtime and was keen to mention Darma and how she could be the one. I know she was highly thought of last year, good to know she’s on her way back.

Fontainebleau: 1,39"36
    4yr old Handicap: 1’38"66
    Grotte: 1’38"33
    4yr old Handicap: 1’39"87

What is it with Royer-Dupre and his pacemakers?!
    Was like watching ‘Ashalanda’ all over again! :lol:
    I expect to see ‘Rajasman’ out in Hong Kong at the end of the year maybe after a win at HQ first! :wink:

Two nice wins for Andre…they said that ‘Simon’ needed better ground to be seen in a better light – a lovely looking horse with some toe and on the improve!

Both done well to win after looking to be checked for a run…

Thought that the lack of pace (with a winning pacemaker – just sounds funny) in the Font would have suited ‘Siyouni’ more…

If the colts guineas is looking a bit clearer then the fillies is even worse…form line spaghetti junction! :o

Good piece on ATR look forward to seeing the other interviews that Matt has done – with the two Heads! :shock:

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Where’s Freddie gone now anyway? His ride on Ashalanda was top class for an apprentice :)

• Total Posts 223

Perfect Guineas trial for Siyouni today

• Total Posts 629

La Force – Simon de Montfort and Pain Perdu encore

Sunday, April 25th – Longchamp. Three weeks after finishing first and second in the €55,000 Prix François Mathet (LR-2,000mT), Simon de Montfort (Ire-King’s Best) and Pain Perdu (Fr-Vespone) once again completed the exacta in the €80,000 Prix La Force (Gr3-2,000mT). The Godolphin SNC colt went from dead last to first in the final two furlongs with young rider Michael Barzalona up. It was a 1st Group win for the leading apprentice of 2009 who kept his master Fabre’s confidence and was rewarded here.
    It was a tricky ride though as Simon de Montfort, having started from stall 8 in an 8-strong field, pulled early on in the rear of the pack. Pain Perdu, a €27,000 purchase by his trainer Nicolas Clement at the 2008 Arqana Deauville October sale (click here for catalogue page), showed the way early on, flanked by recent Listed winner Celtic Celeb (Ire-Peintre Celebre). The British raider Circumvent (GB-Tobougg), a Gr3 winner in France last term, was following with Ioritz Mendizabal up. They did not moved much until the last stretch and Simon de Montfort was still waiting behind Wildenstein fancy War Monger (Ire-Linamix), second to Celtic Celeb last time out and a bit wound up behind the starting stalls.
    Barzalona was struggling to get Simon de Montfort in line towards the outside while Pain Perdu was staying on bravely but as soon as the Godolphin beast was able to pull away, the guessing game was over, even though he had a few lengths to make up. The way he moved then was decisive and he duly scored by a neck while Circumvent held on for third ¾ of a length behind. Celtic Celeb was 4th just by him and War Monger finished all right in fifth.
    These margins do not really translate the domination of Simon de Montfort, who managed to came off the pace : “He’s getting better and better,” said the winning rider. “He pulled a bit early on but I managed to get him right somehow, even though it was not easy to move him out. The lack of pace was worrying me as I did not know whether or not we could catch Pain Perdu home. The colt did it though and it is very pleasing.”
    Nicolas Clement, trainer of Pain Perdu, said that he could consider supplementing his colt in the Prix du Jockey Club, bearing in mind that he was owned by Miss Margaret Ferguson in America and that he could end up over there sooner or later. Pain Perdu’s sire, Haras du Petit Tellier’s Vespone, won the 2003 Prix La Force. Trained by Nicolas Clement, he went on to win both the Prix Jean Prat (Gr1 – 1,800mT) and the Grand Prix de Paris (Gr1 – 2,000m). Offered at €4.000, he is represented by his first 3yos this season. His 18 yearlings sold at auction to date reached an average €14,000 at the French sales.
    Simon de Montfort is out of the Sheikh Mohammed mare Noble Rose (Caerleon), who was trained by Luca Cumani. She was a Group 3 winner in England and placed 2nd in the Group 2 Prix Royallieu at Longchamp, where she was beaten by Dalara the dam of Daliapour. Her 2002 foal Notability (King’s Best) won the 2006 Oettingen-Rennen (Gr2 – 1,600m) and finished second to Ramonti in the 2006 Premio Vittorio di Capua (Gr1 – 1,600mT) at San Siro for trainer Michael Jarvis before joining Godolphin to end his career as a Dubai-based anonymous also-ran.
    Simon de Montfort’s sire King’s Best, a 3/4 brother to Urban Sea, stands at the Haras du Logis. Very popuplar among French breeders, he’s offered this season at €15,000.

• Total Posts 629

Fontainebleau – Aga Khan exacta in reverse order

The main French 2,000 Guineas prep, the €80,000 Prix de Fontainebleau (Gr3-1,600mT) was an important test for Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere (Gr1-1,600mT) winner Siyouni (Fr-Pivotal). Even though the favourite got beaten half a length by stable mate and pacemaker Rajsaman (Fr-Linamix), the French classic remains very much on his agenda.
    Ridden by Thierry Jarnet, Rajsaman, a Criterium de Lyon (LR – 1,600mT)-winner last season, took several lengths to a field led by the Niarchos’ Makani (Ger-A P Indy) with Lope de Vega (Ire-Shamardal) in third and Siyouni in fourth, tucked in by Gerald Mosse after pulling hard early on.
    Going into the last stretch, the field had not made up any ground on the leader, who was not showing any sign of weakness. Lope de Vega moved first with Siyouni next. Finally, both colts passed the post half a length behind the front runner with Siyouni eventually taking a short head to his rival.
    “They let him take too much ground and it is hard to make it up on such a class horse,” said Alain de Royer Dupre. “Both Siyouni and Rajsaman will be aimed at the French 2,000 but I very much doubt that they will let the grey on his own that day. I am happy enough with Siyouni as Gerald was able to keep him from pulling. The horse finished well to take the second place which shows that he stays the mile.”
    Rajsaman is a full brother to the dual Listed winner Rosawa (Linamix), dam of Prix Marcel Boussac winner and Prix de la Grotte beaten favourite Rosanara (Sinndar).

Grotte – Anna Salai breaks duck on eve of D-Day

Second in both her first two starts, Godolphin SNC’s Anna Salai (Usa-Dubawi) broker her maiden in the main French 1,000 prep race, the €80,000 Prix de la Grotte (Gr3 – 1,600mT), completing a double for the Maktoum’s French franchise. Trained by Andre Fabre, the Darley homebred was still way out of contention two out but Maxime Guyon pushed her to the fore in the last 200 yards to score by 1.5 length and beat Gotlandia (Fr-Anabaa), a €45,000 Quensay consignment at Arqana who ran behind the leaders along the rail after a third-placed comeback.
    The usual lot of hard luck stories emerged in the aftermath of this inconclusive trial as Fallon’s mount Barouda (Fr-My Risk) was never allowed a gap, while Kartica (GB-Rainbow Quest) finished well outside in sixth… The favourite Rosanara (Fr-Sinndar) had a good trip however as she was ridden in fifth before hitting the front one furlong out. Gotlandia had followed her move and took over in the last strides while Anna Salai was flying outside.
    “I rode Anna Salai behind because we had a bad draw (12/12),” said Guyon. “But I kept on asking and she made it. She did well for her comeback being more outpaced than anything. She’d finished well. She’d improved on that.”
    Anna Salai is a sister to multiple Listed winners Advice (Seeking the Gold) and Iguazu Falls (Pivotal), out of Gr3-Prix d’Aumale winner Anna Palariva (Caerleon).
    Obviously, the filly being trained by the silent Fabre and the equally cryptic Godolphin French branch, one can only assume that Anna Salai will honour her French Guineas entry. She really should after such a display.
    As for Rosanara’s disappointing performance, her rider Gerald Mosse said to Racing Post : "She lacked a bit of condition and needed a breather in the straight."

• Total Posts 629

Tuesday Chantilly Report – Opening day at Chantilly

Tuesday 27th April 2010, Chantilly. The €55,000 Prix Sigy (L-3yos-1,200m Straight) was won in impressive style by the English raider, Mister Manannan (Desert Style) for the father-son team of Dandy and Adrian Nicholls, who are no strangers to French success. The eventual winner was quickly away and took the lead early on in the race before producing an impressive turn of foot to accelerate away from his rivals. “He will come back to France to run at either Longchamp or here at Chantilly,” declared the winning trainer. “He is a very good horse and he picked up well when asked for an effort by his jockey.”

André Fabre had three representatives in this race and it was the Wertheimer brothers’ Top Music (Unbridled’s Song) who came home best of the three in third place. His stable companions Ufologue (Xaar) and Forum Magnum (Elusive Quality) finished fourth and fifth respectively.Top Music is a nephew of the champion sprinter Mozart (Danehill), whose wins include the July Cup (Gr1) and the Nunthorpe Stakes (Gr1).
    Mister Manannan is a son of the very fast Desert Style (Green Desert), who was Group 1 placed and a Group 3 winner when trained by Jim Bolger. He now stands at Haras du Hoguenet in Calvados for the fee of €8,000 (live foal). Mister Manannan was bought for £30,000 at the St Leger Yearling Sales. He is a full brother of Shermeen (Desert Style), twice Gr3 placed over 1,000m and 1,600m in the USA. Their dam, Cover Girl (Common Grounds), is a Listed winner.

Servanne – Well deserved win for Bluster

After 11 attempts in Group 3 and Listed company, Bluster (Indian Rocket) finally won a black type race when successful in the €52,000 Prix Servanne (L-4yo+ -1,200m Straight). In the absence of the favourite, Inxile (Fayruz), who ran away with his jockey on the way down to the start, Robert Collet’s charge won with authority. “Fifty metres after I took the lead, Planet Five (Storm Cat), passed me and went half a length in front,” announced winning jockey Christophe Soumillon. “But my horse surprised me by responding to this attack and he fought back. He was gelded during the winter and has changed a lot. I was pleasantly surprised with his on his last start and he really wanted to win today.” Robert Collet will now aim his charge at even better company in the Prix de Saint-Georges (Gr3), on May 16th in Longchamp, where he will come up against 3 year olds.

Also a four year old, the second placed Planet Five is out of the champion Six Perfections (Celtic Celeb). His jockey, Christophe Lemaire, seemed disappointed with the performance after the race. “He only has a short burst of speed,” he confided, “and unfortunately for us Bluster made his move quite a way from the finish.” In the end it was only by a head that Six Perfections’ son failed to win his first Listed race.
    Bred by Maxime Jarlan, Bluster is out of Tell Me Why (Distant Relative), a three time winner. She has bred two winners from six produce of racing age. She also has a 2 year old full sister to Bluster, named Feltzer, and a yearling full brother named Tarok.

Prairie – Full Steam to victory

One filly stood out from all the others in the €34,000 Prix de la Prairie (3yo Fillies-1,600m). Full Steam (Oasis Dream) had the race sewn up in a few strides like a true champion. She was tucked in in mid division by Maxime Guyon, before pulling out to make her move at the 400 metre mark. She then left all competition in her wake and went on to win by three lengths. This impressive winner, who was having only the second start of her career, is from the family Zamindar (Gone West) and Zafonic (Gone West), as her dam, Western Appeal (Gone West), is their full sister.
    Second placed, Thai Haku(Oasis Dream), finished two and a half lengths in front of Chantilly Rock (Rock of Gibraltar). “Thai Haku was beaten by a very good filly. She is still a little immature and needs to learn,” announced Mikel Delzangles, her trainer who supplemented her for this race.
    Bred by Juddmonte Farms, Full Steam is out of Western Appeal, as mentioned above. Western Appeal was Listed placed when in training with André Fabre. Full Steam is her third product and the second to be seen on the track. Calm (Montjeu), was second on his debut before winning as a three year old.

• Total Posts 629

Bois Renard – Ramble On straight to the point

In the colts’ version, Ramble on (Tobougg) won the €34,000 Prix du Bois Renard (3yo Males-1,600m) with authority for his Italian trainer Giuseppe Botti. “In the mornings, he shows that he is a good horse,” confided Alessandro Botti, assistant and son of the top Italian trainer who has a base in Chantilly. “He has a lot of speed, which he showed as a 2 year old. Today he won over his true distance.” Well thought of by his connections, Ramble On had his first run in France in the Prix Herod (L) over 1,400m, at Longchamp.
    After tracking the leader, Ocean Seven (Green Tune), made his move 200 metres from the line but had to be content with third place one and a half lengths behind Tulipano
    (Johannesburg), who himself finished three quarters of a lengths behind the winner. Ocean Seven is the half brother of Goldikova (Anabaa), but does not appear to have the same quality as his sister.
    Bred by the Haras de la Gisloterie, Ramble On is a son of Street Money (Mark of Esteem), who is a sister of Nombre Premier (Kendor), winner of the Prix des Chênes and the Palais-Royal (Gr3) and Gr2 placed. Now standing at stud, Nombre Premier is notably the sire of Vertigineux (Prix du Muguet, Gr2). Jenufa (Divine Light), a half sister to Ramble On, was bought as a yearling in December 2009 for €15,000 by Guy Petit. Ramble On himself passed through the sales ring of Arqana once in December 2008 when he was sold for €5,500

It doesn’t appear that Goldi’s bro (half) has the same level of talent… :(
    as he was behind this horse who had this said about him!

UM – Correct with the Stoute comparison! :wink:

• Total Posts 629

Friday fun – gems of translation!

Prairie: Full Steam impressed

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:11 p.m.
    Tuesday, 27, Chantilly. Equivalent to females Fox Wood Award, the Prix de la Prairie (B – 3F – 1600 meters) returned to sag significantly Full Steam (Oasis Dream), who easily widened the gap with his opponents when his jockey was timed. The representative of Khalid Abdullah has dominated Thai Haku (Oasis Dream),

Full Steam had only run counter to her in September 2009, when she took second place in Happy Way, that we have not seen since … The filly is well born, as his mother is none other than the sister standards Zafonic and Zamindar. She had already produced Calm (Montjeu), winner of an F before trying his luck without success, in a listed.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Where do I find a list of Guineas entries folks? :D

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 439 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.