The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Foot and Mouth

Home Forums Horse Racing Foot and Mouth

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Oh crikey, don’t let this be the start of a re-run of 2001. Taken from Guardian Online:

Foot and mouth outbreak confirmed

Press Association
    Friday August 3, 2007 9:48 PM

———————————————————————

Cattle in southern England have been found to be infected with foot and mouth.

A spokesman for Defra said animals on a farm near Guildford in Surrey had tested positive for the disease.

He said: “Following an investigation of suspected vesicular disease by Animal Health on a holding near Guildford in Surrey, laboratory results have indicated that the foot and mouth disease virus is present in samples from cattle on the premises.”

The spokesman said: “On the basis of initial laboratory results, Debby Reynolds, UK Chief Veterinary Officer, has confirmed foot and mouth disease.”

In accordance with the legislation, all the cattle on the premises will be culled, he said.

A protection zone, three kilometres in radius, and a surveillance zone of 10 kilometres has been placed around the premises.

A national movement ban of all ruminants and pigs has been imposed, Defra said.

A meeting of the Government’s Cobra emergency contingencies committee has been held to discuss the outbreak, with Prime Minister Gordon Brown taking part by telephone from his holiday in Dorset.

A Downing Street spokeswoman said Mr Brown will return on Saturday in order to chair another Cobra meeting at the Cabinet Office in the morning.

“Our top priority is to prevent the spread of this disease in order to protect farmers’ stock,” said the spokeswoman.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

racinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

Its sad to see this,and we are just getting over the last lot, and i really hope this is just confirmed to this one farm….if not we are in trouble again…. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6930684.stm taken from BBC News

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Oh no. I remember the last outbreak it was devastating for everyone involved. Hopefully this can be contained quickly.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Hugely worrying. However the government seem to be reacting a tad more swiftly this time. Let’s hope they can contain it.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I hope they deal with it better than they did the last time.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Someone get those fecking sheep out of Cheltenham immediately!!

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Someone get those fecking sheep out of Cheltenham immediately!!

I thought they were already out. The last time I saw McGrath and Francome they were at Goodwood.

Mike

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.