The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fly Miss Helen

Home Forums Memorials Fly Miss Helen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Prong
    Participant
    • Total Posts 75

Broke down at Newmarket today, fatally injured

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10351

Just two years old and with a bright future ahead of her she broke down badly today at Newmarket and could not be saved. I think it was her back leg from what I saw but I won’t watch the replay. She went into the horse ambulance but could not be saved. She must have been so bewildered as to what was happening to her. Really upsetting.

RIP Fly Miss Helen ⚘

Condolences to all who loved and cared for her.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Kristaltips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 61

Awful to see, poor girl. I was watching the race live and knew immediately she wasn’t going to survive. I just wish they wouldn’t race them till they were 3 and make the Classics for 4 year olds. This would’ve been the perfect year to change it too 😪

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10351

Totally agree Kristaltips two is much too young to be racing and if they don’t change it at least limit the number of times a 2yo can run in his/her first year with at least 6 weeks between each run.

Mark Johnston’s Dubai Fountain who ran 2nd in this race has already run 4 times since June and has a entry to run in Ireland on 22nd August. She is a game little filly but on this firm ground who knows what damage she or any other overaced 2yo is doing to their legs.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    TongeTonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1255

Awful to see. I was surprised when they said she was in the ambulance as it looked such a bad injury. Perhaps they haven’t got screens as there is no crowd. Agree that there needs to be some sort of review, not just of 2 year olds but of non-fall related fatalities this year generally (on & off the course) as there seem to be far more than usual. Maybe operating with skeleton staff in a pandemic has had an impact on fitness, condition of gallops, though, of course, the heat and lack of rain won’t be helping.

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22530

RIP Fly Miss Helen… :-(

Member since March 2008
    Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 477

Very sad to hear about this and condolences to her connections.

There seem to be a lot of reports of horses breaking down at the moment. Maybe it is just a set of unfortunate circumstances but my fear is it is something more troubling.

Is the thoroughbred becoming weaker as a breed? Apart from the fashion of breeding for speed, are too few stallions now covering too many mares? And then there is the issue of in breeding.

I wonder how many horses break down on the gallops that we never get to hear about? Or are just not strong enough to withstand training?

Do we need to get away from speed and get some more robustness back into the breed? I find it sad that a solid, dependable handicapper or Group 3 horse has almost no chance of a place at stud or being supported by breeders but a fragile, injury prone horse like Calyx can be whisked off to stud on the back of one flashy performance as a two year old.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.