The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Films…..

Home Forums Lounge Films…..

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 380 total)
  • Author
    dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Gary Numan, is that the are friends electric one?

If it is, what are you on about, you crazy mixed up kid?

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Hyped up big time but Slumdog Millionaire is definitely worth a watch.

Lee

Wasn’t big on Slumdog Millionaire at all, stupid story, not great acting and thought it was just a naff bollywood movie without the singing and dancing. IMO the only reason it won baftas was because of danny boyle. Overhyped rubbish I thought.

Just watched "Taken" and despite not being big into action films anymore this is one of the best Ive seen in a long time, If you liked "man on fire", this is better.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Going to see it tomorrow…..

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Slumdog Millionaire? I reckon it could be one of those films that divides opinion, like titanic (which everyone but me seemed to like). My mate lent it to me on a burnt off dvd, and he said it was good. Didnt work for me.

For me a film has to be good from some sort of angle, such as well made well thought out story, well acted, if its a comedy then it would have to make me laugh. Slumdog Millionaire did nothing for me whatsoever.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I thought Titanic was rubbish as well..Slumdog should work for me in that

it’s about how someones past can shape their present and future and bad things can be turned into good things….something that I want to believe in at the moment..it’s also not tooo long.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Re Titanic…watch the 50’s film "A Night To Remember" for something outstanding on that subject, the modern version was CGI garbage.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Yes, a very good film

The mistake of placing blind faith in new technology juxtaposed with the calm bravery and resolute stiff upper lips when that mistake is realised.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Just watched BURN AFTER READING and APALOOSA.

Apaloosa isnt bad, but burn after reading is the best overall film Ive seen in ages, the Coen Brothers best film to date IMO, and No Country for Old Men was really good. George Clooney, John Malkovich, Frances McDormand, Brad Pitt (who normally I dont rate as an actor much) and few others are absolutely brilliant in it. Im surprised this film isnt all over the awards this year, everything about it is just pure class. Dont want to hype it up too much but it is definitely worth a watch.

What did you think of slumdog millionaire moe?

Will have to try and see "A night to remember" sometime, I’m sure I have seen it in the top 100 film countdowns before, but just never got round to watchign it…

• Total Posts 1982

Mickey Rourke deservedly collected a BAFTA for Best Actor and if there’s any justice he’ll win an Oscar, too.

On the subject of Taken. I highly recommend this film and Liam Neeson is at his very best. What a cool character to play!!

"I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

Great stuff!!

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Agree with taken Bos, it had been probably since about No Country for Old Men that I had saw a film that I really thought was very good. But recently Batman Begins was good for a comic book movie, Tropic Thunder was laugh out loud funny in parts, Taken was the best action film in ages and Burn after Reading is just an absolute original and is easily in the top ten of the millenium so far IMO.

Have the wrestlet and Righteous Kill on my hard drive so will probably watch them tonight, and goin to download Valkyrie and Seven Pounds (have heard its not bad) too I think.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Going to see Slumdog tonight, weather permitting [sort of lost yesterday somewhere]..my daughter’s taking a group of kids to see Valkyrie this afternoon so awaiting a report on that…..saw Brad Pitt in Legends of the Fall a few months ago which I’d taped years ago and never got round to watching which changed my opinion of him,also realizing that the Coen Brothers rated him as well made me have a rethink in a ‘perhaps not just a pretty face’ sort of way…Burn After Reading I’m looking forward to seeing as I want to get to see all of their films [they always have a dog somewhere, don’t they?] Appaloosa and I’ve Loved You So Long on the shopping list [forget about food….]

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I loved Slumdog;.from the start I was either on the edge of my seat, laughing or crying, even though I pretty much knew the story and the ending..to me a great film or book or tv programme is where you really care what happens to the people in it..I don’t think it’s a girlie thing either cause my S.O. really liked it as well….going to dig out Trainspotting now which unbelieveably I have never seen….[have just realized why there were refences to Edinburgh in it; silly me….]

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Trainspotting is a must see movie moe, its just a really good story which happened to be made into a movie…

Just watched that new Clint Eastwood film Gran Torino, where it isnt quite as good as Unforgiven, Pale Rider or Million Dollar Baby, it is still a really good movie, and kind of makes you think that Clint Eastwood probably isnt going to be about much longer.

A lot of people arent big on clint eastwood movies as they are "too slow" because they are mostly lower budget Malpaso productions, and thus dont have quite the same fast paced CGI generated action scenes as the box office competition, but they are almost always good stories and well put together and eastwood (like pacino, hackman, de niro and newman) has a screen presence thats hard to match, which means he can carry these lower budget movies very well.

Provided your not clintaphobic, it’s well worth a ganders..

• Total Posts 433

Has anyone else ever seen THIS IS MY FATHER a film with aidan quinn in it , it was doing the rounds on sky a few weeks ago, i think it was made in the 90’s.
    Beautiful film , very emotive , one of the best films i have seen.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Ah; the many ages of Clint; the early years when, for some reason I fancied Gil Favour and not Rowdy Yates..the Spaghetti Westerns years; films which are amazing even today; the acting with apes years when I thought he’d completely lost the plot..Unforgiven which Barry Norman raves on about [and I have never seen]..then came Million Dollar Baby and suddenly I saw what all the fuss was about

….perhaps it took me a long time to take him seriously because he was just too damned pretty! [have just checked out ‘This is My Father’ on the gospel that is Wikipedia..why have I never heard of this film..it looks absolutely wondeful;I love anything about Ireland ]

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

One of the best horror movies I’ve seen in recent times is ‘The Mist’. It’ll make your skin crawl :D

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Watched Valkyrie last night, (the copy wasnt great as was a "camcorder in a cinema" job, but sometimes that can make it better if the film is quite dark as it gives it a bit of an eerie soft focus which worked in this instance, as with 30 days of night).

The film was pretty good IMO, pretty much all british cast (kenneth brannagh, bill nighy, the bloke who plays nixon in frost nixon, even eddie izzard) was in it i think bar Tom Cruise. Good enough story but as it’s about a plot to kill hitler, and like titanic, history pretty much tells you how its going to end. Nevertheless very watchable and a decent movie, best descrbed as predictable but well made 2nd world war espionage thriller.

Perhaps it was just the quality of my copy, but there was a real eerieness about hitler in the film. Well acted by whoever played him.

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 380 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.