The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ffos Las Opening Night

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Ffos Las Opening Night

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dprp
    • Total Posts 175

Brilliant to see a new (proper!) racecourse opening today. All the very best of luck to Ffos Las & hopefully we will be running there in the Autumn. I have heard nothing but good reports of it so far so lets hope it lives up to its billing!
    I would have loved to have been there & up until a couple of hours ago, I was going to go. However, circumstances have conspired against me & so its ATR for me.

As if it were a script written for an awful TV drama based on racing, the main person behind the course owns the likely fav in the first race there (6.20)! Ffos Las Diamond will have lots of sentimental followers but we shouldn’t forget that he is trained by the great Henderson &has already notched a win (at Chepstow last time out). As such he carries a weight penalty but his win was decent & he looked likely to improve (especially if his jumping was better). So will the scriptwriter get his happy beginning or can Ffos Las Diamond be beaten? Plunkett had decent form in Ireland (runner up in two big field novice races) before being bought for £32K in June. Ballyvesey looked another likely to improve when he was 2nd at Hexham a couple of weeks ago. He wasn’t fluent that day & consequently had to battle quite hard to get into his position. He will have improved for the run but I was at Hexham & I think he had a hard enough race. Irish raider Older & Wiser looks the most likely of the remainder to be involved. The winner is in that 4 I think! I probably just about prefer Plunkett.
    The 2m novice chase at 7.50 looks a good race. Schelm impressed me both as a hurdler & as a chaser on his debut (a winning one) at Sedgefield recently. He goes well at this time of year & I like his chance here.
    The handicap chase at 7.20 is packed with horses with jumping, stamina or fitness questions to be answered. Ordinarily a very trappy race but one with fewer outstanding questions would be Bantry Bere. Nigel Twiston Davies’ horse was going to win when falling 2 out at Southwell last time. That is obviously a concern but the Ffos Las fence builders are likely to have erred on the side of caution when it comes to stiffness of fences & I think that he will be the most likely winner.
    Elsewhere on the card, there is little to go on in the novice hurdle at 6.50 but I do like Venir Rouge. He was 2nd last time out & re-opposes the horse that beat him today. However, he looked likely to have benefitted from the run & he looks set to take a hand here. NTD’s Cootehill will be thereabout too but Venir Rouge can win this.
    Summary:
    6.20 Plunkett
    6.50 Venir Rouge
    7.20 Bantry Ber
    7.50 Schelm

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Excellent stuff, David.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

David

I’d go along with you regarding SCHELM. I was impressed by the Sedgefield performance and the hint was there’s a bit more to come.

Rob

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.