Ferdy Murphy – R.I.P.

Home Forums Horse Racing Ferdy Murphy – R.I.P.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  He Didnt Like Ground 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Really sad to see this man go at only 70 years. Apparently he was battling cancer for the last four years, probably that’s why he retired from training horses in France as well.

A true genius and always a man to follow at the Festival. My favorite horse was Aces Four who gave Denman a real fright in the 2007 RSA only to stumble with three to jump. No one knows how close he might have went.

As far as I can recall he was the first one to have Davy Russell riding for him in GB. He really had an eye for NH talent.

May he rest in peace

Louise12
    Participant
    • Total Posts 179

Agreed – I met him once, held him captive and wrecked his head with loads of questions. He was a real gent and spoke at length to answer every one.

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 995

I remember him as a jockey in the 70s; think he road for Paddy Mullins, + was fine horseman

patriot1
    patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

Sorry to see him go.

When the likes of Gee A and Sibton Abbey were doing their stuff was it Hubbard or Murphy who was the real trainer?

Still can’t believe I talked my brother out of backing Sibton at 40s in the Hennessy. Still Paris Pike in the Scottish National is a better memory.

RIP

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 995

Ferdy was the real trainer for Hubbard’s horses, as he was for the Durkans, including the incredible Annaglog’s Daughter

patriot1
    patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

Thanks Be fair. My brother always cheered on those horses in the green and white colours. Strong Promise was another excellent horse if memory serves me right.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7697

Loved Strong Promise [One Man’s ‘shadow’]…passed on soon after his owner after placing in the GC…

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 92

He could lay a horse out for a handicap ….saying that I remember his face when asked about hot metal for the Scottish national ….someone blabbed ….I was at Ayr that day the …as the price showed everyman , his dog …his dogs fleas knew about it ….he wasn’t a happy bunny :yahoo:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.