The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fans Bias / Wishful Thinking In Team Sports Betting

Home Forums General Sports Fans Bias / Wishful Thinking In Team Sports Betting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26853

How difficult is it for “fans” to keep their biases in check?
    eg Being biased FOR their favourite club / manager / players… And therefore also bias AGAINST rivals / rivals managers / players?

May be am wrong (my bias?) but reading some threads in this section it seems biases are stronger within Team Sports (particularly football).

How difficult is it for you?

value is everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23896

What I would say on this is that my passion for my team outweighs massively winning a few quid on my rivals.
    So yes I’m bias and extremely proud of it.
    Watching my team win the title for the 1st time in 30 years was priceless
    The most valued thing in the world happiness.
    I’d probably be top of the fantasy league or a lot closer if I had Bruno Fernandes in it but I’d rather spend a night in class with you Ginger learning the percentage table than pick that Manc prick… :yahoo:

Member since March 2008
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26853

What is wrong with Bruno :unsure: ?

value is everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23896

He has a bad back as he is carrying his team although he is getting plenty of help from refs and VAR. Now that is some huge bias going on towards that team and against mine. It’s bordering on corruption either that or standard of refereeing is woeful.
    Well done to your team by the way Southampton a fine result for them, they are going well overall and the board done well to stick by the manager when things were not looking good at the start of last season.

Member since March 2008
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26853

Why should refs have it in for your team, Nathan?
    Do you think it’s possible = like many fans of many clubs every year you believe refs have it in for your team because of a subconcious bias of the fan; not the ref?

Have you ever listened to (think it was called) the Referees Alphabet by Half Man Half Biscuit? ;-)

Southampton is my most local team and I like to see them do well, but would not call myself a “fan”. As a kid considered myself a Chelsea fan – apparently picked after their 70’s FA Cup win. Went through many a relegation and promotion, but went off them before titles. Nowadays my second favourite team is Liverpool. Because I like the way they play the game. However, if seeing any player being violent or cheating (eg diving or a particularly bad deliberate foul) I can turn mid-match, hoping the other team wins.

Pundits may well be subconciously (hope it’s subconciously) biased against referees because they were themselves players who had run-ins with refs. Often seems as if many go against the ref whenever there’s a borderline decision and if it were to have gone the other way they’d have said it was wrong too. Some pundits don’t seem to know the rules of the game.

The often heard arguement of “we only want consistency” is also flawed. There will always be borderline decisions where it’s a matter of millimetres. For those with a love of one particular club it is easy to believe those millimetres should’ve gone in their favour.

Another arguement pundits give that VAR should be changed so that borderline decisions won’t be called offside is just silly. How far should a player be past a rival to be called offside? If a millimetre is too little what should the measurement be? Whatever the measurement past the rival is, that measurement + a millimetre will be offside and so it again comes down to millimetres. Just in a different position. ie There will always be borderline decisions.

Do think the Van Dyke injury / foul (or non-foul) should’ve been refereed differently but refs make mistakes just as players or managers make mistakes. Saw a match where think it was four borderline VAR decisions went against Liverpool, but – unlike what pundits seemed to suggest – just because they were borderline does not mean they should be shared equally. For sure it was unfortunate, but to my mind all were (in all probability) correct decisions.

Very glad Liverpool won the title last year. :heart:

value is everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23896

Ginge.
    I have not read that book
    I’d like to think myself as not blind to moan at every ref decision. Refs make mistakes 100% and I can live with that and although I’ll shout at the telly at the time I can understand subjectical decision going against my team however many times it happens but it is hard to swallow when the exact opposite is happening to another team near enough every time. Why.?? Perhaps it is just the most unreal massive coincidence or perhaps I’m just extremely bias to it, I’d like to think I know enough about football for that not to be the case.
    What I am talking about is the clear and blindingly obvious
    VAR officials should not be making so many wrong calls
    Take United for a moment
    Did you see McGuire rugby hold the Chelsea player? I’d have said that one was about +90% a penalty, ok I think at the time the VAR were not calling the refs to the side pitch monitor so have to accept it as just a bad decision.
    How about the WBA game where the penalty gets reviewed and overturned on the side monitor but then last week Pogba kicks himself over and the VAR doesn’t even ask the ref to look at it on the side monitor and agrees it is a penalty, did the VAR official miss that too.? Wow
    Did you see Spurs goal against Liverpool? Son looked level but the VAR gave the goal very quick without drawing all the lines. When Liverpool score a goal it takes them ages drawing lines, then drawing more lines down from player to the floor etc. Even the Southampton goal the other night looked close but no lines drawn
    I’m still mad at the Van Dijk, VAR incident, how can VAR miss that Pickford assaulted Van Dijk, if that happened on the street the police would be there in 5 minutes. Another incredible error.
    Offside is black and white as mad as it can be at times but lines drawn on Mane against Everton are much closer than the previous match when Liverpool played Aston Villa and a Villa goal was given, I know Villa hammered Liverpool but that shouldn’t come into it.
    There’s loads this season that are subjective but the percentages don’t add up near enough everything going against Liverpool and near enough everything going for United.

Member since March 2008
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26853

When loyal mega fans see the “evidence” of borderline decisions it is only natural for their subconcious bias to come to the surface. Believing many borderline decisions should’ve gone their way.

There’s been many many years of the Premier League.
    Over time… the biggest “most unreal massive coincidence” would be if there was never a period where many correct borderline and (accidental) wrong decisions go against Liverpool. Just as it does with all other clubs at other periods; usually at a time where their team is not playing quite to their best. It is to Liverpool’s credit they’re in their position without playing to their best.

May also be taking your lead from your beloved manager (as other fans do with their managers). All managers are naturally subconciously biased with a capital B.

value is everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23896

Yes. I’m frustrated with the injury list too
    With frustration comes heightened reactions, I guess

Member since March 2008
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23896

Also I’m on a £2.50 100/1+ 8 fold with 6 legs already won
    two left are Shishkin Arkle and Liverpool PL

Member since March 2008
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26853

Wouldn’t it be fun
    If they gave
    The ref a gun.

value is everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23896

Ginger,
    I’m not sure if you are practising for TRF poem of the year comp
    or that Gamble has hacked your account… :whistle:

I will refrain from commenting on refs and guns in-case I say the wrong thing. :rose:

Member since March 2008
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26853

Nah,
    Just the last line of the song I quoted, Nathan – which seems particularly fitting for this thread.
    Referees Alphabet by Half Man Half Biscuit.
    It’s a comedic tongue in cheek swipe at footballers, managers and fans from the supposed referee’s point of view.

Another line that may or may not be fitting is::
    D is for the dunderheads who seem to think we have a conspiracy against their particular team.

value is everything
    sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2837

Manager Pep Guardiola says football is “an island inside society” as they prepare for the big match in the shadow of another lockdown.

“Everything is locked down except ourselves,” he said.

“When people say football players are special maybe it is the truth, I couldn’t believe it before – I thought the doctors, teachers, architects, every person was the same – but it looks as if everything is closed except our business.

“All the managers must adapt to the situation, this is the reality.”

They are certainly in their own lil world aren’t they?

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23896

Another line that may or may not be fitting is::
    D is for the dunderheads who seem to think we have a conspiracy against their particular team.

So what you are saying is that VAR wiping Man Utd’s arse all season will eventually run dry
    Thanks ginge, that along with them getting dumped out of the mickey mouse cup has somewhat cheered me up.. :good:

Member since March 2008
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26853

If Man U win the title you’ll be storming Premier League Headquarters chanting “stop the steal”.

value is everything
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.