The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish St Leger 2006

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish St Leger 2006

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

I found Fallon’s ride on Yeats somewhat unsatifacory. The ATR commentators were quick to say that Fallon had to go to the front early to make it  a stamina test! I was disappointed too that Boycie had nothing to say post-race on the 2/7’s defeat ! It’s currently the race of the day video on the ATR website.  Any views or excuses?

<!– m –>http://www.attheraces.com/sectionhome.a … &nav=video<!– m –>

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

I expected Yeats to win but he looked surprisingly one paced. The only possible danger I could see was the eventual winner.

I don’t really think Fallon did anything wrong to be honest, sometimes you just get beaten by the better horse on the day.

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

"Maybe I fell between two stools in as much as I should have gone on sooner or waited longer."

Fallon quote after race.

Not like Fallon to be indecisive, MM ! It might turn out to have been a very good prep race for Melbourne! Maybe they didn’t want give him too hard a race.<br>

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Thought he was just beaten by a better horse on the day over that trip. Over two miles they could have held on to him longer but they didnt have a choice today. Sounds like they are aiming the winner at the Canadian International.

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

I think any time a 2/7 shot gets beaten you tend to look for a reason. In theory it shouldn’t happen so its easy to say what if I did this or what if I did that.

I don’t know I don’t pretend to be an expert on riding racehorses. I watched the race and when you watch a race to tend to analyse how its going don’t you? At least I do, I never at any stage thought that Fallon was doing anything particularly wrong.

Hey who am I to to question the best jockey around lol?

If I’d backed Yeats I wouldn’t have been blaming the jockey for the defeat thats all I know.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Imo, he was simply done for toe over a distance short of his best. <br>On today’s evidence there would be little point in sending him to Melbourne, it may be 2 miles, but a very sharp and fast 2m.<br> Maybe the Cadran if he gets his ground?

(Edited by reet hard at 10:09 pm on Sep. 16, 2006)

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Quote: from EC on 11:13 pm on Sep. 16, 2006[br]Market Man

When the policeman comes round to ask you if you were happy with the ride Fallon gave..will you stick to that view though?…he’ll be round in the morning;)

(Edited by EC at 11:14 pm on Sep. 16, 2006)<br>

Lol. He can come round he’ll have a helluva job to drag me out of bed though on a Sunday morning. :ohno:  ;)

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Iit was obvious about 3f out that kinane was waiting to pounce.

(Edited by bluechariot at 11:47 pm on Sep. 16, 2006)<br>

(Edited by bluechariot at 7:50 am on Sep. 17, 2006)

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

There was nothing wrong with Fallon’s ride. Yeats was never really travelling and there’s nothing more to say.

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

Many of my thoughts have been echoed on here. it looked to me at Goodwood that 2 miles was his minimum trip, and always felt 2/7 was a ridiculous price.

The Melbourne Cup would still be my main target if I was Magnier though. But as was said, it is a fast 2 miles – Fallon would really need to make it a stamina test. he’d need to be at the front about 4 furlongs out, and be pushing on to get a big lead to fight off the fast finishers.

Nothing wrong with Fallon’s ride btw.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

The Melbourne Cup is always a stamina test, simply because they go so fast. They walked early on yesterday.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Quote: from Aidan on 10:26 am on Sep. 17, 2006[br]The Melbourne Cup is always a stamina test, simply because they go so fast. They walked early on yesterday.<br>

Aidan<br> Not so much a stamina test that genuine 12/14f horses such as Vinnie Roe, Vintage Crop, and Media Puzzle, haven’t  outperfomed  proper ‘Cup’ horses in recent years.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

I suspect that, as well as being better on the day, Kastoria is a very good horse, himself. Yeats has had a busier season; this was Kastoria’s dedicated first Group 1 target.

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

After the slow early pace Fallon IMHO accelerated too sharply three or four furlongs out so Yeats folded near the finish when challenged. Surely an even pace is what a stayer wants. I wouldn’t hold this defeat against him.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from reet hard on 10:04 pm on Sep. 16, 2006[br] Imo, he was simply done for toe over a distance short of his best. <br>On today’s evidence there would be little point in sending him to Melbourne, it may be 2 miles, but a very sharp and fast 2m.<br> Maybe the Cadran if he gets his ground?

(Edited by reet hard at 10:09 pm on Sep. 16, 2006)<br>

<br>According to the Victorian authorities, connections have told them that Yeats is a NR there as they reckon he is OTT for the season

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.