The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2016

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2016

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 472 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Fair enough Stevie. I would only say that I thought he was the business BEFORE the Guineas. That race only proved it. Lets see what happens.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

The fact that he won his maiden by so far and then the runner up was only beaten 3 lengths in the derrinstown maybe gave a clue that he was well above average. He has improved so rapidly(faster than wings of desire on ratings) that it’s easy to see why some are sceptical and others buzzing with his run. Thankfully we all see things differently and the fact that Michael tabor said he fully expected a big big run from the horse shows that the coolmore team knew he was very good but didn’t want to sound ott. What the horse is rated is irrelevant just now as that is just an opinion. What the horse does in the next couple of races will show how good he is. Right now he is the most promising 3yo colt around and once we see afb Run tomorrow we can see where he is going. A hugely exciting horse which is what we all want to see is it not.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Yeah I totally agree with Steve I must say. Horses that win by a long way I always avoid them next time. Hawk Wing springs to mind. Hacked up in the lockinge then was hardly sighted next time at Royal Ascot despite being heavily punted into odds on.

Or that horse of Beckett’s that ran recently in the Oaks trial, mountain bell.

Anyway I’m sure the gurkha is very good, that’s not the reason why I wouldn’t back him if he ran in the derby, I just don’t think he’ll get home.

Also connections of galileo gold might take issue with the statement “right now he is the most promising three year old colt around” 😉

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

The closeness of maassat to the winner of the guineas put doubts in my mind to the guineas form. All about opinions and we’ll soon find out who turns out the best.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Yeah I totally agree with Steve I must say. Horses that win by a long way I always avoid them next time. Hawk Wing springs to mind. Hacked up in the lockinge then was hardly sighted next time at Royal Ascot despite being heavily punted into odds on.

Horses don’t run as well when they are injured, Judge.

Hardly surprising Hawk Wing was down the field in the Queen Anne. Reported by the Ascot racecourse vet (not one of Coolmore’s) to be lame afterwards and found to have strained a ligament in his near-fore knee. Did not race again.

Don’t think it is wise to just dismiss a wide margin winner, but agree an examination of the placed horses is needed to consider:

a) Whether the placed horses are any good at their best.

and

b) Did the placed horses run to their best.

French Guineas placed horses look (at the moment) just Group 3 quality, but at this stage there’s no reason to believe they all ran below form… And that still makes the 5 1/2 lengths winner genuine Group 1 class, who’s still on an upward curve and therefore could yet make up in to a real Star.

I agree though, doubtful The Gurkha will stay 1m4f.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Fair enough Stevie. I would only say that I thought he was the business BEFORE the Guineas. That race only proved it. Lets see what happens.

You certainly told me what you thought of The Gurkha at Newbury.
    Thought you were going a bit OTT then Joni, not now!

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

The closeness of maassat to the winner of the guineas put doubts in my mind to the guineas form. All about opinions and we’ll soon find out who turns out the best.

Really? I must be missing something here but what is so wrong with Maassat? :scratch:

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

Looking back at the Dewhurst maassat was hammered by air force blue. It could be air force blue has not trained on and maassat has improved greatly from 2 to 3 but still wary of the guineas form. There seems to be a lot of confidence in Ireland that afb will run a lot better and also that air vice Marshal will be a lot closer to galileo gold. Maybe I’m seeing things that are not there but the Dewhurst just puts doubts in my mind. I’d be delighted for galileo golds connections if she won but I have my doubts. The race will reveal all.

Participant
    • Total Posts 423

Midterm officially out of the race. Stress fracture to the pelvis.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I see US Army Ranger’s old sparring partner Aasheq was beaten again this evening, in a maiden at Cork, at 4/6 by a horse rated 81.

When US Army Ranger scrambled home from him on his debut it was generally felt that Aasheq was potentially also a smart horse.

Some things in Horse Racing flabbergast you and looking back to Aasheq’s previous race, where he faced The Gurkha in a maiden, you would be some kind of android if you were not flabbergasted in considering that Aasheq was the 8/11 Favourite for that race :wacko:

That has the makings of a bizarre trivial pursuits question of the future.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6296

Is HARZAND something of the forgotten horse here? 25/1 too big?

He has beaten IDAHO with COOK ISLANDS and MOONLIGHT MAGIC miles back!!

Does he just need soft ground or is it the Aga Khan factor or what ?

Surely with all these horse falling by the wayside he must merit consideration.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Aidan pretty much ruled The Gurkha out of the Derby today and into the St James Palace Stakes instead.

Air Force Blue was said to be heading for the Commonwealth Cup, where he is 10/1. That makes no appeal to me and I feel this will be the race where they finally admit that the horse just hasn’t trained on from 2 to 3 years old.

Harzand was said to need soft by connections and they also feel he’s a big horse who will not be suited to Epsom.

Beating Cook Islands doesn’t look like one to put in the CV as an achievement anyway. That horse looks as pacey as Boaty McBoatface.

Shogun was woeful in the Guineas and while Beacon Rock won the Gallinule today, it looked an awful field and the runner up was rated 88 coming into today’s race.

With Saafaar a well beaten favourite behind 84 rated The Major General in maiden company today, the overall picture of Moonlight Magic’s Derrinstown win is not that of an oil painting, more of a hastily sketched and out of focus watercolour that looks like it will get smudged a lot more by season’s end.

Wings Of Desire would seem the most likely winner if he can make any improvement from the Dante and I would respect Cloth Of Stars, who I had a few quid on at 25/1 after his last win.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Gutted not to be getting a run for my money. Leaves the race wide open for me and Wings Of Desire the most likely winner. Will still be keeping TG on my side wherever they send him though.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Gutted not to be getting a run for my money. Leaves the race wide open for me and Wings Of Desire the most likely winner. Will still be keeping TG on my side wherever they send him though.

Your Great finds never do make the Derby Joni! B-)

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

It’s true Gord.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Can someone please explain to me why a maiden winner (on third start) Ulysses, is half the odds (10/1) of a 2000 Guineas runner up Massaat?

That was an awful maiden Ulysses won and if he wins the Derby it will be the worst ever.

7/1 for the Derby in some places is an utter joke and some of these punters must be totally clueless and harking back to Shergar for inspiration.

Talk about headless betting 😥

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I think Maasaat is the forgotten horse actually Steve. If he stays he must run well. Like Midterm, Ulysses is priced on his trainer and his parents.

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 472 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.