The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2016

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2016

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 472 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 525

The way we are going we are going to get the lowest rated Derby winner since …………….. well you tell me. From memory I think I rated Camelot around 117, with this lot it looks like around 110 – 112 could win the Derby.

Midterm needs to stamp his authority in the Dante. If he doesn’t Minding will piss all over this lot if she runs / stays.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

The ground was very different today though Joni and until I see The Gurkha on faster ground I won’t be as confident as you are about him.

Andre Fabre’s colt Cloth Of Stars won the Prix Greffulhe comfortably today at Saint-Cloud. The group 2 contest saw him triumph by two and a half lengths from Robin Of Navan who was a progressive colt on the mud last autumn, winning at group 1 level.

The ground was against him today though and Cloth Of Stars went off slight favourite of the two.

The trainer describe Cloth Of Stars as a horse who could cope with a mile and a half on a track where the accent was on speed and Bet Victor were the stand out on this colt at 25/1 for Epsom, with Racebets much more impressed at 9/1, the general price of those offering odds is 14/1.

Not too many French ones come over but Andre Fabre is one of the more adventurous Gallic trainers and he did the trick with Pour Moi in recent times. At 25/1 he looks a better option than many others in this year’s list with most of the trials now run.

Cloth Of Stars 25/1 (Bet Victor) looks a reasonable option as he would be single figures in my book if he arrives at Epsom.

Quote from connections:-

“We now know that the Prix du Jockey Club is a serious possibility, but there is also Epsom so we’ll see how he trains between now and then,” John Ferguson said. “The jockey said that the faster they go, the better he settles and there should be sufficient pace at Group 1 level. Andre [Fabre] thinks a fast mile-and-a-half will suit him, so he will guide us where to go.”

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

The ground was very different today though Joni and until I see The Gurkha on faster ground I won’t be as confident as you are about him.

Andre Fabre’s colt Cloth Of Stars won the Prix Greffulhe comfortably today at Saint-Cloud. The group 2 contest saw him triumph by two and a half lengths from Robin Of Navan who was a progressive colt on the mud last autumn, winning at group 1 level.

The ground was against him today though and Cloth Of Stars went off slight favourite of the two.

The trainer describe Cloth Of Stars as a horse who could cope with a mile and a half on a track where the accent was on speed and Bet Victor were the stand out on this colt at 25/1 for Epsom, with Racebets much more impressed at 9/1, the general price of those offering odds is 14/1.

Not too many French ones come over but Andre Fabre is one of the more adventurous Gallic trainers and he did the trick with Pour Moi in recent times. At 25/1 he looks a better option than many others in this year’s list with most of the trials now run.

Cloth Of Stars 25/1 (Bet Victor) looks a reasonable option as he would be single figures in my book if he arrives at Espom.

Racebets – you’ll get about £2 on then. Pathetic firm, already all but banned me and I didn’t really harm them. If you win once with them you’ll unlikely win again. Disgrace of a firm.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Cloth Of Stars 25/1 (Bet Victor) looks a reasonable option as he would be single figures in my book if he arrives at Espom.

Racebets – you’ll get about £2 on then. Pathetic firm, already all but banned me and I didn’t really harm them. If you win once with them you’ll unlikely win again. Disgrace of a firm.

Yes, you can’t get much on with Racebets, the only thing is that they often price up races no one else is. In this case they are the worst odds anyway but they are a Mickey Mouse outfit, not for the serious punter.

I expect Cloth Of Stars to run at Epsom mainly because it’s an open renewal and Andre Fabre is not the stay at home trainer most Frenchmen seem to be. He is also owned by Godolphin and they have not got the strongest hand in their own main stables so this colt may be worth a try.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Cloth Of Stars race video:-

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/race-replays/2/2050/

Arty camera work here by the way.

Not the most imposing of horses but Cloth Of Stars does all his best work in closing stages, looking like he might well get a mile and a half.

Robin Of Navan is a more substantially made colt but I feel that he will be at his peak in the autumn on softer going and could be a candidate for the Arc.

I think if you stop the video a half mile out you would doubt that Cloth Of Stars would win like he did. He looked to be pricking his ears in front and had more to give.

Interesting if he turns up.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Fair enough Steve. Let’s wait and see what happens as the season progresses.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7848

Steve that was nice 10/1 winner today for me.I think 1m4 be ok at Epsom he got speed you say but you need speed at epsom i think he stay 1m4 on fast ground not on soft.

I hope MIDTERM can win Dante now which i expect he will and way Stoute trains derby horses on 2nd run he be much sharper than he was at Sandown last time more forward to.

Participant
    • Total Posts 237

What a position you are in Darren :good: Very well done B-)

I hope Moonlight Magic wins for you rather than Midterm as I am on the former!

Great punting by you.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7848

Thank you bobby

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Algometer story link:- http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/simcock-eyes-irish-derby-not-epsom-for-algometer/2075646/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

Thanks.

Given what I have seen of the owner little bit surprised Simcock appears to calling the shots.

I can see the concern about the track but that is similar for so many inexperienced horses who may or may not end up at Epsom. All his runs have been on good to soft but I haven’t really noticed a pounding action typical of the soft ground lover. As regards the step up in trip I wouldn’t be quite so confident that it will bring out significant improvement. If the sire was Galileo it would be pretty obvious but Archipenko? The Irish Derby is also considered a stiffer test than Epsom. Not sure what race they have in mind for a prep but hopefully it might clear the mist.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I have always rated the Derrinstown Derby trial as a reliable benchmark for Epsom glory and today is no different.The problem here though is History shows if Seamie Heffernen rides the winner of this race he goes on to win the Derby itself,’High chapparal’,Dylan Thomas'(should have won),’Fame and glory’ and the master himself ‘Galileo’.Today ‘The Heff’ did what he’s been doing all week and rode another stinker,running wide on the turn never helped this colt Idaho really get going and neither did the short straight.Epsom might not suit much better as he has a bit of a rounded action but I’ve taken the 20/1 after the race as he reminds me a lot of ‘Dylan Thomas’.Whatever happens at Epsom,I think Michael Tabor will want him there,Doncasters St leger looks tailor-made for him,the 17’s have been taken.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Anyone feel Cloth Of Stars is a contender?

Pour Moi took the same route to Epsom and Cloth Of Stars clocked an eerily similar time to Pour Moi when winning today. (only 0.5 second different)

This is a trial that has been run in gutters of late and last year’s winner took almost 10 seconds longer. The only other winner of the Greffulhe other than Pour Moi to clock a time remotely similar to Cloth Of Stars in the last 40 years was Visindar, who was 2/1F for Sir Percy’s Derby in 2006.

The 25/1 has gone and Cloth Of Stars is a best priced 16/1 now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

So Mi Dar has a Derby entry. Not even in the betting as far as I can see, though one of the favourites for the Oaks. Have connections ruled it out completely? If she was mine, I’d be thinking of having a go – especially if Minding goes for the Oaks.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6296

If was Fabre I would run it at Epsom and the fact it is Godoplhin and they don’t have viable contender might sway matters too!!!

And just as an afterthought what happens if Foundation goes and wins the Dante ?

16/1 would look huge then!!! Worth a gamble ? :unsure:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Tirmizi was very disappointing.

Hoping for an impressive display by midterm this week but he might not have it so easy. maybe his bubble will be burst as well? I hope not.

If nothing emerges from the Dante then it’s shaping up to be the worst derby for years.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2031

Well it cant’t be any worse than the 8 that lined up against Camelot. I wonder if Harzand is still on course, his win in the Ballysax looks even better now but 25/1 is strangely big?

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

Bhutan has had a setback so no derby for him. Port Douglas ew is my bet now. The Dante on Thursday and the ghurka in the French guineas then it’s make your mind up time. On balance the Chester vase is the strongest form for me but will rather watch than back us army ranger. Has been the oddest start to a season I can remember and bar minding pretty ordinary. It can only get better.

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 472 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.