The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 612 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 629

P.s. – Sorry to the Epsom fanatics – think we need a new thread!

Can just see Matt Chapman cringe at me calling the Jockey Club a Derby!

• Total Posts 1511

Nevermind Chappers.
    :shock: :shock:

• Total Posts 174

on ‘Behkabad’

Think we’ll see him here – the Force?

I don’t think so. After his Omnium 3rd, Rouget or Rimaud said they are thinking of the Guiche (early May in Chantilly).

It was just my guess that the Force (along with the Grotte and Fontainebleau – the Pouliches/Poulains trials) was going to be on Sunday along with the Noailles, which I based on last year’s dates. But from looking at FGalop, it looks like I am wrong. That meeting must be next week or maybe even later.

• Total Posts 174

Zenjah has officially (and wisely) moved us over to a new thread. Apologies we didn’t do it sooner.

• Total Posts 4293

Ah good. The squatters have been kicked out. :lol:

The first supplementary entry stage was this week. Al Zir and Workforce, amongst others, are in. I’d have thought this would have been worthy of some kind of article online, instead of so-and-so has been cut from 18/1 to 16/1 by Badblokes in such-and-such a race, but I haven’t come across anything. Can’t be rrsed to work out the full list of additions.

• Total Posts 174

full list of additions

Noble’s Promise
    Al Zir
    Passion For Gold
    Zeitoper
    Workforce
    Bullet Train
    Kalypso King
    Rashaad

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/epsom-epsom-nobles-promise-leading-kentucky-derby-contender-added-to-derby/700901/latest/

• Total Posts 174

Teddy G had to contradict himself on Workforce.

• Total Posts 4293

That was a bit weird before, and its a bit weird again. I thought Grimthorpe had already "corrected" the remark about Workforce a few weeks ago. He seems a bit miffed, or with his nose out of joint.

I don’t know anything any supplementary entries in previous years, but I’d have thought one by Barry Hills/Sheikh Hamdan (Rashaad) is quite significant.

• Total Posts 174

I’d have thought one by Barry Hills/Sheikh Hamdan (Rashaad) is quite significant.

Looking at his pedigree (Smart Strike) just made me think of how Smart Strike is the latest son of Mr Prospector to be on the increase in usage by European breeders since his offspring go on turf as well (so many Mr Ps only go on dirt, I believe). I remember how after Ravens Pass beat Curlin in the BC Classic in 2008, Curlin’s owner Jess Jackson threw a fit about how Pro-Ride favoured European turf horses and made it unfair for American dirt horses. But really, I bet Smart Strike gave Curlin the ability to handle the surface just fine, and he was beaten by a better horse on the day. But Jess Jackson is still holding that grudge against all-weather (oh yes, far too safe for horses, better to avoid it) such that he refused to take Rachel Alexandra to the BC meeting last Nov.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Call me an old boring traditionalist and all that but why is this thread called Epsom Derby 2010. Surely it is THE DERBY. The first, the original, the toughest and the best. As the great Italian breeder Tesio said "the thoroughbred exists not because of years of scientific breeding, but because of a piece of wood, the winning post at Epsom on Derby.

I always call our open golf championship THE OPEN for the same reason.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I love the "our golf championship" Would not "the golf championship" be more correct?

• Total Posts 629

This might be on the wrong thread thinking about it?!

AP O’Brien entries for the ‘Greffulhe’ 8-5-10 – Saint – Cloud 10f

At First Sight + *
    Black Quartz +
    Cape Blanco + *
    Don Carlos +
    Fencing Master +
    Fighting Brave +
    Joshua Tree +
    St Nicholas Abbey
    Amber Grey
    Bridge Mountain
    Jan Vermeer + *
    Lord High Admiral *
    September Morn +
    Star Of The Show +
    Steinbeck
    Ancient Kingdom
    Dance At Dawn +
    Midas Touch *
    Await The Dawn
    Encompassing + *
    Sixpence
    Viscount Nelson + *
    Flying Cross
    Bright Horizon
    Clearwater Bay +
    Dynasty +
    Mikhail Glinka *
    Viceroy
    Bold Quest *
    Purple Heart +
    Rocket Man *

+ Entries for the ‘Prix Hocquart’ 16-5-10 Longchamp 11f

* Entries for the ‘Prix La Force’ 25-4-10 Longchamp 10f

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

I love the "our golf championship" Would not "the golf championship" be more correct?

Indeed Andyod you are absolutely right, no disrespect to Augusta, but the Open is the one and only.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Thanks BBobbell
    I would have settled for being right but ABSOLUTELY right ,Wow that is more than I ever dreamed of.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1403

Quite liked Coordinated Cut’s win today in the Tattersalls Timeform 3-y-o Trophy. There aren’t many horses who get hampered, have to switch and still win with just over a furlong to run. He has a splendid, long stride. Definitely a Derby horse and can see this one thundering down the home straight at Epsom.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Not for me. The race today was just a Conditions event, given extra emphasis because of the ridiculous prize money on offer. In my opinion High Twelve has run his race and that puts Coordinated Cut 3 lengths ahead of Joshua Tree. By no means special form.

• Total Posts 197

To my eye St Nicholas Abbey wins, full stop.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 612 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.