The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 460 through 476 (of 612 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Ginger

Far from being worried about whether he’ll stay the Derby distance, his biggest problem might be that fast ground won’t make it a sufficient test.
    SNA’s best chance may come in the St Leger.
    If I were you, I’d stick to guessing prices in future. :wink:

Thanks Reet,
    Seldom laugh out loud when I read a post.

Did reding you believe a horse who has pulled in the early stages at a mile’s, "best chance may come in the St Leger".

Brilliant. :lol:

Dear, oh dear, Ginger!
    Not that it would make any difference anyway to a race over 3 months away, but SNA has never pulled hard in any race in his life. :lol:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I’ve failed to summon up any enthusiasm for this year’s Derby. However, looking at Bosranics list I can’t help but feel that in a few months time we may well look at the horses at the top of that list and realise that we’ve seen a pretty good race, especially with Bullet Train and Workforce possibly needing a bit longer to show how good they are. I just hope that one of the rank outsiders doesn’t win, and if they do it’s the one I backed. Jan Vermeer is a beauty, isn’t he.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

There seems to be no stand-out colt this year (as of yet). Hopefully we’ll see a terrific performance from something here. Personally I think Al Zir is overpriced, although Jan Vermeer has been very impressive so far in his career. I’m finding it hard to get excited about this year’s renewal, maybe it’s because the past two years races had so many different angles and questions beforehand?! Still time yet, though!

• Total Posts 1982

I’ve failed to summon up any enthusiasm for this year’s Derby. However, looking at Bosranics list I can’t help but feel that in a few months time we may well look at the horses at the top of that list and realise that we’ve seen a pretty good race, especially with Bullet Train and Workforce possibly needing a bit longer to show how good they are. I just hope that one of the rank outsiders doesn’t win, and if they do it’s the one I backed. Jan Vermeer is a beauty, isn’t he.

I made a comment in another thread regarding the quality of the field, shortly after the untimely injury to St Nicholas Abbey.

I called the race ‘mediocre’. Whilst the race isn’t a vinatge renewal, I would like to retract that comment.

The injury to SNA and the decision by Ballydoyle to send Cape Blanco to France has dealt the race a massive blow. We are now without an unbeaten Dante winner and last seasons Champion 2YO.

The colt may have his detractors, but this renewal was badly in need of a fully fit St Nicholas Abbey.

I actually think the race will produce a lot of winners. One glance at the betting and you notice the two outsiders (not including the pacemaker), Hot Prospect and Buzzword.

The former started his career with a fine second behind eventual Breeders’ Cup winner, Vale Of York. He has since run third in a valuable race at Newmarket and filled the same position in the Group 3 Lingfield Derby Trial.

Buzzword has a Group 3 success to his name, with a further three placed efforts at Group level – once at the highest.

At least half of the field have shown enough to suggest that they can hold their own at the highest level later on in the season. One thing is for sure, a few of the fancied runners could very well end up out the back on Saturday and have their bubbles well and truly burst.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Hot Prospect’s trainer keeps saying not to forget him, and quite often when that happens people do forget..and live to regret it. I haven’t looked at the race again, but I’m sure that I noticed that Buzzword had a pretty high RPR. All in all it’s turning into a fascinating race and I’m looking forward to it now, albeit fighting hard against the urge to back ALL of the rank outsiders. It’s certainly been the year of the outsider,even if they do seem to lose it in the stewards room afterwards. Will there be a slight draw bias as well, with them used a strip of new ground for the race? [also the year of the draw bias…]

• Total Posts 1982

Conclusion:

It was hard not to be impressed with

Rewilding

in the Cocked Hat at Goodwood. He handled the undulations well that day, which bodes well for Epsom. He has an easy, athletic action and looks certain to improve for the extra two furlongs and strong pace in The Derby. Described by Simon Crisford as ‘bombproof’ with a great temperament, you would expect him to handle the occasion with no fuss. He clearly isn’t short of pace, either, and has all the right attributes to run a big race on Saturday.

Henry Cecil was not too keen on Epsom for his progressive

Bullet Train

after the colts impressive Lingfield success, stating he would only ever run a horse in the race if it had a chance. He has allowed Bullet Train to take his chance and the colt is very much on an upward curve. He promises to be even better sitting behind a strong pace and the course will not pose him any problems, neither will the trip. Should be thereabouts.

Colts graduating from the first classic have been involved at the finish during the last five runnings of The Derby. Sea The Stars completed the double. New Approach and Sir Percy went one better than they did at Newmarket. Both Eagle Mountain and Dubawi improved on their unplaced efforts to fill the frame at Epsom.

Al Zir

has always been held in very high regard and the booking of Epsom Maestro, Kieren Fallon, could prove an inspired one. Prior to the his unplaced effort at Newmarket, Bin Suroor said “Later in the season he may be even better over a mile and a quarter, maybe even a mile and a half”. I’m not convinced he will stay the trip, but if anyone can settle a horse and drain every last drop of fuel from the tank, it’s Fallon.

It’s hard to separate the Ballydoyle duo, in my opinion. They both impressed in their respective trials, albeit for very different reasons – one was run at a fairly sedate pace, the other strong. If there’s an impressive winner waiting to happen, it’s Jan Vermeer, but in a field where you could throw a blanket over the majority, he’s plenty short enough. Midas Touch is one tough customer and will be running on when others have cried ’Enough’, but whether he has the pace to mount a serious challenge remains to be seen.

My idea of the first three:

1 Rewilding
    2 Bullet Train
    3 Al Zir

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

I see Bullet Trains Dam is Kind. I remember winning a few quid on this smart sprinter racking up a sequence, Roger Charltons from memory?

Bullet Train would seem likely to stay having already won well over 11f, how does the Dams optimum distances being sprinting ones relate to this?

• Total Posts 1982

I see Bullet Trains Dam is Kind. I remember winning a few quid on this smart sprinter racking up a sequence, Roger Charltons from memory?

Bullet Train would seem likely to stay having already won well over 11f, how does the Dams optimum distances being sprinting ones relate to this?

Kind is actually a half-sister to Powerscourt, who was a high class middle distance performer, winning the Great Voltigeur, Arlington Million and Tatts Gold Cup.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

That doesn’t alter the fact that Kind was a sprinter.

Do sprinters often ‘drop’ Group winners over 11f?

• Total Posts 1982

That doesn’t alter the fact that Kind was a sprinter.

Do sprinters often ‘drop’ Group winners over 11f?

Kind was a spinter, but she was out of a Rainbow Quest mare called Rainbow Lake, who won a Lancashire Oaks.

I’m not sure if sprinters often ‘drop’ Group winners over 11F, but there’s enough evidence in his pedigree to explain why he stays very well.

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

The Derby winner:-

If you could find a horse with blood links to this lot it should have a great chance:-

Sadlers Wells, Dancing Brave, Lyphard, Mill Reef, Native Dancer, Northern Dancer, Never Say Die, Hyperion, Busted

Dancing Brave to our minds the greatest race horse we have seen. He was just round the corner. Yes, better than Sea the Stars.

There’s one and it runs in the Derby.

:D :D

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Kieran, if you could ride any horse in the derby who would it be?

"Midas Touch"

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

"Mr.Wilson" wrote: Kieran, if you could ride any horse in the derby who would it be?

"Midas Touch"

Sows how much Fallon knows :lol:

• Total Posts 4293

A new Perpetual Trophy has just been created. Any chance of if you win it three times you get to keep it?

• Total Posts 1046

Bet Rewilding’s Goodwood romp appeals to a few people now :?: :D

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Kieran, if you could ride any horse in the derby who would it be?

"Midas Touch"

Sows how much Fallon knows :lol:

Maybe he’s not as daft as you think, thm?
    Even after Cape Blanco had won the Dante, they were saying MT was at least his equal, also reported to have improved appreciably since then. It may also be significant that SNA’s ‘injury’ never surfaced until after he was turned over in a gallop with MT, either.
    No surprise at all should Midas Touch finish in front of Jan Vermeer, at least.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

"reet hard" wrote:

Shows how much Fallon knows :lol:

Maybe he’s not as daft as you think, thm?

I’ll tell you this Reet, I wouldn’t mind being as daft as him! Some outstanding rides from him today.

Viewing 17 posts - 460 through 476 (of 612 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.