The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Enticing…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I was a little unsure about just how good Enticing was following a shorthead victory over Wid last season, but it was difficult to find fault with her performance at Bath yesterday.

It’s fair to say that the standard of opposition doesn’t really compare to the sort of horses she could be meeting in the better sprint races, but she could do no more than demolish his field with minimal fuss.

And the shattering of the track record doesn’t look too shabby on the CV either.

With the likes Sakhee’s Secret and Asset around, assuming they stay at the top of their game, this year could prove most entertaining.

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Quote: from thedarkknight on 10:32 am on May 2, 2007[br]It has become fashionable to knock the sprint division in recent years, and admittedly we have had some fairly unremarkable horses winning Group 1s of late.

Christ, don’t start Smithy off TDK!  :biggrin:

I once suggested G1 sprints were being won by jumped up handicappers and was promptly corrected by said gentleman.

Perhaps my turn of phrase needed improving….

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

No mention of Dandy Man, a huge threat to all.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

He’ll only have that wily old ex-handicapper Sgt Cecil to contend with… Great turn of foot :biggrin: ;)

I think given soft ground they all have some work to do to catch up with reverence.. He was hugely impressive last year and I think later in the season should be difficult to beat..

The main reason i’m not interested in Sprints is because its so bl00dy hard to pick the winner!!!

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Quote: from thedarkknight on 10:32 am on May 2, 2007[br]<br>It has become fashionable to knock the sprint division in recent years, and admittedly we have had some fairly unremarkable horses winning Group 1s of late.

<br>Just my opinion, but those that knock, do not understand the sprint racing

<br>Nice performance by Enticing

<br>Be interesting to see how the potentially useful Sprinter Hoh Mike gets on today

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 11:55 am on May 2, 2007)

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

She was very good yesterday, wasn’t she. I thought they had said the time wrong at first!

The only thing that might count against her this year is her running style, she has to come late and she could find trouble in these big field sprint races like the kings stand.

Asset looks like a winner of the golden jubilee on his performance at HQ, he travels so nicely.

Dandy Man needs no introduction, he is all speed and will pick up his fair share this year.

Soft ground will mean Reverence should make hay…….. but soft ground might be a hard thing to find this year.

and don’t forget Les Arcs.

A superb sprinting rank this year.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I think we could be shaping up for a good year all round on the flat.. The Three year old colts look a decent bunch to me with the superstar there to be knocked down, decent sprinting and staying divisions and with George back we’ll actually have a barometer against which to decide just how good the classic crop actually is.. I can’t remember seeing two guineas winners pitched against each other (I mean consecutive English guineas not Irish vs English etc etc ) for some time..

The fillies look a weakish mob again though.. Seems you get one good filly a year at the moment and the rest are average..

And the Middle distance races will be interesting with Rail Link still around..

Shame we won’t see Ouija Board or Pride again though.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I’m impressed.

There were three races over the trip on the day, which adds somewhat to the confidence in any timefigures produced.

IN UNIFORM (2-8-11) 61.19<br>ENTICING (3-8-12) 58.75<br>CUPPACOCOA (3-9-4) 60.86

I reckon that implies a minimum tfig in the region of 115 on Enticing. I’m certainly interested in her for top races under similar conditions.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

As we have seen in recent years Sprint Handicappers have been consistently making the grade at group level.<br>Quito very nearly won the Group 1 Haydock Sprint.<br>So dont laugh when I say that Fantasy Believer might be a handicapper to watch in Group sprints this year.<br>Impressive winner of the Portland also won the listed Rous stakes and trained by John Quinn who certainly knows the time of day.

"As they say watch this space"

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Fantasy Believer may well make up into a Group horse in the height of summer but his overall record would suggest we won’t see the best of him until June at the very earliest.

Think TDK has hit the nail on the head with Al Qasi and Sakhee’s Secret – the evidence of my ageing eyes tells me this pair are destined for big things this time round.

Anyway Alderbrook, I notice that Greek Well ended up in a handicap the other day……..;)

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Nice pipe opener by Hoh  Mike and it will be interesting to see how much progression he has

(Edited by empty wallet at 4:48 pm on May 2, 2007)

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Quote: from Smithy on 3:07 pm on May 2, 2007[br]Anyway Alderbrook, I notice that Greek Well ended up in a handicap the other day……..;) <br>

Too harsh.  :grumpy:

(and he didn’t even win that did he?!)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Wasn’t all that taken with Hoh Mike to be honest. No more than workmanlike in a race he was fully entitled to win getting weight from the majority of his market rivals. Can’t see him making an impact in open pattern company to be honest this year.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Agree DJ. And given the lack of structure for 3yo sprinters, he is going to have to take on the big boys sooner than would be ideal for him.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Can’t fault Hoh Mike for the FTO effort mesen,  whether he’s got enough improvement in him to take the next step up the ladder only time will tell

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 8:03 pm on May 2, 2007)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.