The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

England V India Test Series

Home Forums General Sports England V India Test Series

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

This should be a close encounter, weather permitting.

England are definitely one of the strongest test nations and are formidable at home in their current outfit.

Are they better than India? NO! The top test side in the world are 2/1 (Betfred) to beat England and that is wrong.

England’s batters will not have faced an attack as strong as India’s and although Cookie and Trotsky can build big knocks, and I respect the wonderful Morgan, I think India have the ability to bowl them out for less than 300. India are the best batting side in the world – any side that can have M S Dhoni coming in at 6 or 7 must be ridiculously strong – this guy could bat at 3 for most international sides!

Yes, the ball may swing and we know Anderson can make it go sideways in the right conditions but I think Tendulkar and co can cope.

The best bet of the series is Ishant Sharma at 7/2 (Betfred) to be top Indian bowler. He was top Indian bowler, taking 22 wickets in 3 tests in their recent series against Windies where they won 1-0 in third gear.

So, I advise backing India at 2’s and Sharma at 7/2.

My unlucky 15:

Sharma top Indian bowler 7/2
    Laxman top Indian bat 11/2
    Morgan top England bat 8/1
    Tremlett top England bowler 3/1

All Betfred prices.

What do you guys and girls think?

Zip

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Hi Zippy

India out to 9/2 and the Draw is now odds-on

What’s the story here, weather gonna win this one?

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22549

Zip’s odds quoted were for the whole Test series played over 4 different games David whilst the ones you quoted are for the 1st Test starting tomorrow. You’re absolutely right about the weather winning and that being partly the reason the draw is odds on. From my bad memory I think alot of the Lords Test pitches start with plenty for the bowlers but the pitch soon flattens down fast and high scores are the order and alot of Tests there end in draws anyway whatever the weather so that might also have a bearing on the odds but more likely the affect of the weather than anything else.

2’s for the series do look too big for India but I can see England winning but their price looks to short, so I’m not betting…. :?

I’m surprised you went for Tremlett Zip. You usually go for Anderson I think? I think Anderson could be top wicket taker. If there’s much play at Lords with the forecast, the overhead conditions could help with the guys natural ability to swinging time and give him a good head start.

Member since March 2008
    Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Hi guys,

Yep – prices for series.

I have backed Anderson before, Nathan, but just feel Tremlett is in the zone, however, I agree Jimmy is a big danger – esp if weather favours him. I prefer Tremlett for his ability to take wickets on all pitches.

So who will top bat for each team?

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 22549

I’ve gotta go for Strauss now after his appearance the other day for Somerset…. :mrgreen:

At 20’s I’m incline to take a chance on Dhoni. England can be very good with the new ball and might be able to take a few of the top order early which would help Dhoni’s cause.

Member since March 2008
    Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Looks like a draw, but a few over-reactions by bookies IMHO.

KP 4/7 to be Eng’s top bat is too short and I still think Trotsky could outstay him.

India 4/1 to win the series?! C’mon – doubled in price after 2 days?!

Sharma has been very disappointing. :?

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 22549

England have a very good chance going into the 4th day. If they get a quick run rate going they should have enough runs to get a bowl in after tea and if they could take a few wickets this evening they would be strong favs going into the last day.

Member since March 2008
    Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

WOW- 4/6 the draw before a ball is bowled on day 5.

Outstanding value!!!! Thought it would be nearer 1/10 IMHO.

India cannot win as score too big so only two possible results and I cannot see India being bowled out.

Zip

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Quite frankly, if I’d had £6000 to burn I would have put it on the draw at 4/6.

Reallllllly surprised Eng took that – but credit to them, they bowled brilliantly.

I still think India should be backed for the 2nd test at 4/1 as they will surely go hard at England in the 2nd test.

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 22549

I think England will be hard to peg back now infront. They have let leads slip in the past so will be aware of the dangers of taking foot off peddle.

With 2nd starting Friday do you think Bresnan will come in for Tremlett as the big guy didn’t look quite right on the last day and might have a niggling problem and not be 100% as what you need v India?

Member since March 2008
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

Much is made of the ‘fantastic’ Indian batting line-up, but that’s the 7th consecutive Test (3 v SA, 3 v WI) in which they have failed to make 400 in the first innings – and in most of them they haven’t even reached 300.

I watched a fair bit of those two previous series and thought that their big names were showing their age and Lords seemed to me to confirm that, with far more playing and missing than you’d expect from players with their career records – and they also failed to take advantage of dropped catches and/or duff LBW decisions to go on and make big scores.

They also lose out on their fielding and their running between the wickets – none of the Indians looks capable of the sort of running that Prior and Broad produced on Sunday.

To repeat the simple mantra for Test wins that I offered up during the Ashes – you need to score 750 runs and take 20 wickets. I can’t see this Indian squad doing either very often, let alone both in the same match.

AP

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Fair points, AP.

India’s fielding is certainly not world-class.

I wouldn’t condemn their batting yet – but they really need to fire now.

We’ll see, but 4/1 India is an over-reaction in my book.

I’ll have a bit of that.

I’m not aware of Tremlett being injured.

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 22549

Hamstring trouble, apparently will be ok though.

http://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/news/item/176350-tremlett-has-a-niggle-but-expected-to-recover

Member since March 2008
    rolandroland
    • Total Posts 302

There’s a few reports of TREMLET pulling up in the nets today, and not looking good for tomorrow.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1195

England’s batters will not have faced an attack as strong as India’s

I know its easy to say now but thats rubbish. South africa with Steyn and Morkel are far more dangerous. Steyn alone is in a different class to their bowlers, even including Khan

This pitch is a nightmare and this could be over by close sunday. not something that used to be associated with the old batsmans paradise at Trent bridge (wonderful ground though)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.