The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Early Royal Ascot Betting

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2015 Early Royal Ascot Betting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

It’s a long way off but I thought I’d check out Solow after his demolition of The Grey Gatsby at the weekend.

He’s quoted in both the Queen Anne and The Prince Of Wales but I would imagine the mile race is more likely.

Paddy Power were offering 7/2 yesterday and along with Free Eagle at 6/1 for the Prince Of Wales and Limato at the same odds for the Commonwealth Cup it seemed a decent threesome with scope for their odds to shorten greatly by June.

Solow is in to 2/1 now and Free Eagle 11/2 but Limato remains unchanged.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2333

Free Eagle on better ground than what he encountered in The Champion looks a decent shout at 6s(11/2)
    Runs in Tatts Gold cup in may

Participant
    • Total Posts 5576

The Free Eagle price definitely caught my eye. That was a huge run in the Champion Stakes on heavy ground on his fourth ever run, having missed the start to boot. Can see him going off sub-2/1.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Toormore at 14/1 is too big a price to ignore for the Queen Anne, I was at both Royal Ascot and Champions Day and the difference in his physical appearance was very eye catching, he had really filled out his frame and looked the real deal and put up a much better effort on going that favoured the two that finished in front of him that day. Totally agree with the comments regard Free Eagle.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

Toormore at 14/1 is too big a price to ignore for the Queen Anne, I was at both Royal Ascot and Champions Day and the difference in his physical appearance was very eye catching, he had really filled out his frame and looked the real deal and put up a much better effort on going that favoured the two that finished in front of him that day. Totally agree with the comments regard Free Eagle.

I did have a think about Toormore at his odds Nathan but I just can’t erase how disappointing he was last year. His last run was a bit more promising but I’m not sure how much I trust that QE II form on the heavy ground. I reckon a few of them ran below par that day and it’s hard to erase getting beaten by Es Que Love and then turned over at mega odds on by Glory Awaits, who has hardly looked like the horse some opined was destined for great things after allegedly making mega improvement to chase Dawn Approach home in the 2000 Guineas. I said at the time I thought the handicapper was having a Turkish with his rating and I’ll be surprised if Toormore climbs back to the very top.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

Freddie Head has confirmed that The Queen Anne is the main aim for Solow. That is worth bearing in mind for anyone considering him for The Prince Of Wales, where he is only one point bigger than Free Eagle in the betting.

Freddie Head admitted barking up the wrong tree with the horse when running him over almost two miles and says the horse has improved for dropping to a mile and that 10f is fine for him as well.

I think he’ll take the beating in The Queen Anne and will watch how he gets on in his next race, the Prix D’Ispahan on 24th May (Pricks Dishpan Hands for the non-French speakers amongst us)

Any bets on the headline for that race being “Han Solow” in the event of him winning?

May the force be with him at Ascot.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5576

Two 6f sprinters on my radar, now that Slade Power is no longer racing, are the Ballydoyle pair Due Diligence and Cougar Mountain.

Due Diligence ran an excellent race in defeat to Slade Power in the Diamond Jublilee last season and picked up a hairline fracture which kept him off the track since. He was actually quite unlucky in that race as he had to make the running in a group of four or five on this near side as the main body of the field raced on the far rail. It was only when he was headed by Music Master that he really started racing and finished with a flourish. He’s reportedly fully recovered and would be my idea of the Diamond Jubilee winner at this early Stage.

Cougar Mountain is more of a flyer but I think he’s better than he showed on his last two starts last term. He was probably over faced being asked to run in the July Cup on just his second start but he ran a great race when 3L fifth to Slade Power. The 5f Nunthorpe looked too sharp for him afterwards, where he was the first horse off the bridle before staying on to beaten just 2L in ninth. He was then soundly beaten in the Sprint Cup at Haydock. In his stable tour, Aidan O’Brien says the ground didn’t suit that day, I don’t remember myself whether it rained on the day or what (ground described as ‘Good’ on the RP), but I’d definitely give him a chance of landing a big sprint this season.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.