The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Earl of Sefton Stakes

Home Forums Horse Racing Earl of Sefton Stakes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Really looking forward to this race tomorrow, but more to the re-appearance of Ivy Creek.

This race contains several horses who could be rated a considerable amount higher come Autumn.

I’m against the favourite Manduro, as I think he’s a diffficult horse to win with. Imperial star is no value at all, and you do wonder is his price more to do with who his half brother is than any previous form.

There is a free preview of this race on the Timeform website, but I very much fancy the 2 lowest rated horses – namely Ivy Creek and Secret world. Ivy Creek won his opening 2 starts, then suffered being trapped in round a bend at Chester before closing on Art Deco with a wonderful flourish in the final furlong. Like Ivy Creek, Secret World is still very unexposed with only 2 career starts to date, showing potential and both horses then ran slightly substandard races at Royal Ascot.

Ivy Creek will be a big each way fancy for me, with a little saver on Secret World.

Any thoughts?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Manduro’s form looks a notch above quite a few of these.

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Whats yer thoughts on Speciosa?

Could be a good back to lay i/r and she may best caught fresh

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I don’t think anyone can argue just how strong Manduro’s form is and it would be a little surprising to see the favourite turned over here, despite the pleasing nature of Imperial Star’s victory last time.

Anything around 7/4 about a horse with form linking them favourably to the likes of Ouija Board is a steal in my book.

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Must be missing summat

TF/RPR have Manduro 5lbs clear, every man and his dog stating good thing, but still 6-4

<br>Go figure

(Edited by empty wallet at 1:43 am on April 19, 2007)

Money on
    • Total Posts 178

Manduro seems to struggle to put his head infront but he can be excused a little as it has been top class company he has ran in although imo he should’ve beat Soldier Hollow last day.  <br>I have the impression he may be a little like Enforcer in which he runs above himself in top company but tends to miss the oppurtunity to win when he really shud. Secret World will turn out very smart but is a view point tomorrow with the stable seemingly starting a little slow with its runners and he is coming back from injury and may not be knocked around.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from empty wallet on 11:38 pm on April 18, 2007[br]Whats yer thoughts on Speciosa?

Could be a good back to lay i/r and she may best caught fresh<br>

She’s definitely got the draw she wants and loves the track. Ground might be against her though.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2938

Quote: from empty wallet on 11:38 pm on April 18, 2007[br]Whats yer thoughts on Speciosa?

Could be a good back to lay i/r and she may best caught fresh<br>

Not sure the trainer’s capable enough with a top class flat horse, thought she was poorly campaigned after winning the Guineas and that continues today if she runs for me.

Ready for some egg on my face later in the day :nailbiting:

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from yeats on 9:31 am on April 19, 2007[br]Not sure the trainer’s capable enough with a top class flat horse, thought she was poorly campaigned after winning the Guineas and that continues today if she runs for me.

Ready for some egg on my face later in the day :nailbiting:

Thinks that’s a bit unfair yeats.

The horse certainly has limitations and nobody is claiming that she is a Ouija Board or even an Attrraction for that matter.

She may not be a "proper" Gr1 horse but she is definitely capable of winning a Gr3, especially if she gets her ideal conditions, one of which would appear to be running on Newmarket’s Rowley Mile.

But as I said above, the ground would seem to be against her today.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

I like Manduro a lot, but got the sinking feeling last year that he might be about to become the new Norse Dancer.

But even Norse Dancer won this race.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Would it be fair to say that, although Manduro has been running in top class company, only at Ascot was the form subsequently upheld?

Pushed for time at the moment..so will be looking alittle closer later on

Was impressed with Imperial Star at Kempton

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I think secret world will appreciate this step up in trip, ground holds no fears and neither does the track. Frankie on board and at the price represents a good e/w bet.. I’m always very wary of horses with lots of 2’s and 3’s against their name when they’re favourite so i’m happy to oppose Manduro.

Difficult race to assess. This time of year I always lose on the flat so I wouldn;t be having much more than a few quid on this if at all..

Edited to say: I also don’t think that Dunelight is without a chance, would prefer the race to be over a furlong shorter but the ground and track should suit and he was progressive last year.. 33/1 is a crazy price for me..

(Edited by Aragorn at 11:09 am on April 19, 2007)

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Manduro has shown form which is better than any of today’s rivals, but, as has been said, doesn’t win too often. The fact that he is sent across the water today suggests to me that he is ready to go, and there must be a reasonable chance that there will be plenty of pace today so he is less likely to be mugged by a burst-of-speed merchant.

He looks the most likely winner to me, but I’ll be having a little bit on Illustrious Blue who has done very little wrong recently and is guaranteed fully fit…

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Sometimes you can try to be that little bit too clever ;)

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Broke the track record in the process as well. Thankfully I listened to myself and didn;t bet!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.