The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Drifters at Leopardstown

Home Forums Horse Racing Drifters at Leopardstown

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

I see Mark Souster has a piece in The Times this morning regarding the drifts of Yorkhill, Melon and Carter McKay at Leopardstown recently (Feb 3rd).

He reports two hundred grand (euros) was laid on the three horses to get beaten, and mentions the Irish Turf Club are looking into suspicious betting patterns in the hour before their respective races.

On my data (60 min price – BFSP) I have Yorkhill 2.34 out to 2.94, Melon 3.95 to 6.0 and Carter McKay 3.45 to 6.72.

Timeform on the respective races have…

Yorkhill…
    has a lofty reputation (and his 2016/17 novice form more than backs that up) but he couldn’t have made a worse start to the current campaign, turning in a lifeless display returned to much shorter here, the trip almost certainly just a side issue; mid-division, travelled nowhere near so well as usual, clouted fifth, lost place after next, well beaten straight (possibly amiss); plenty to prove at present.

Melon…
    produced the first disappointing display of his career after 7 weeks off, the application of a hood possibly having an adverse effect; chased leaders, driven from 2 out, lost place home turn, plugged on run-in.

Carter McKay…
    upped markedly in trip, ran to a similar level to last time and needs no excuses, giving best only very late on; waited with, headway from 2 out, ridden entering straight, every chance last, no extra near finish; he will continue to give a good account, appealing as the type to be suited by a well-run, large-field affair.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1882

Time is ticking away and I hope we’ll get to see the details of the investigation into these drifters. Betfair have opened-up in the past to help the BHA in the case of owners laying their own horses, so presumably they’ll be able to shed some light once again.

The notable thing with these drifts was the suddenness – in Grade 1 races, you hardly ever see such huge aggressive drifts, especially so close to the off-time, at which points market lines are usually at their most solid and prices at their most stale. It wasn’t for micro stakes either – you could get bundles and bundles on those three horses at those prices.

All very strange, especially given that the three horses were from the same stable.

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 282

Well done CAV/LS3……both correct,every punter both sides of the sea should be asking the very same question,they have stated there is an issue with the betting patterns…..this was 3/2/2018 ?

Cav….Article in the Irish version by John Mooney,suggests 500,000 EUROS in multiple bets involving tens of thousands,in the hour leading up to the races in question,In VARIOUS countries,is this the same article?
    I do not have access to the full article,anyone care to expand if you have it?

Arguably the biggest 4 days of turnover on the horizon…….poor whichever way you look at it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.