The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Food snobbery

Home Forums Lounge Food snobbery

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

In no particular order

1. rare/medium to rare steak [the food hygienists are forever telling us to cook our food thouroughly to kill the bacteria, yets its so suppose to be cool to eat your steak dripping with blood, if you ask the waiter for a well done steak, he looks at you as if you just asked him to cook his own rump with onions, where not all Hannibal Lecters, give me a well done steak anyday covered in onions and mushrooms and peppercorn sauce.

2. Presentation [ok your plate might look like a japanese garden, but take a closer look and you would struggle to find your food with all the decoration, give me quantity, I want to feel like I have just eating a meal not a snack].

3. Raw fish/crustaceans [ alaskan brown bears might like their salmon raw, they have no choice as they haven’t the intelligence to cook it, but if they could speak and they tasted cooked salmon they would prefer it everytime. Raw fish is like eating an eraser. These snobs actually pretend they actually enjoy it, who in their right mind would like to eat fish roe [caviar] sounds utterly revolting.

4. Wine tasting [ take it away you stupid woman/man if I was a waiter and one of those snobs said that to me, I would smack him right on the bridge of the nose. If there is alcohol in it and its chilean and its the less expensive it will do for me ].

5. The Menu [ whatever happened to real food, if you fancy Bacon and cabbage you may go down Mrs Jones greasy spoon, all you get on these so called posh restaurant menu’s is ever more exotic dishes, each chef trying to out do each other, while forgetting that real people like real food.

Just a few observations no doubt there is plenty more examples of food snobbery.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Amen to that Marz. To my horror I found myself in a restaurant last week that did not sell Bitter ! :shock: :shock: Not as much profit in that as a bottle of wine I suppose.

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

1. you only need to cook food that proves a health risk from the bacteria it carries…eating raw chook could pose you a lot of problems….but beef don’t have nothing in it that’ll hurt you…and if are in a decent resaurant, you shouldn’t have to worry about contamination…and it does taste beeter less well done…it’s like asking for burnt toast….no one in their right mind done that!!

2. So you’d rather eat a bucket load of pig swill than a nice bit of something so lovely it makes your toes curl????

3. don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!! I’ve tried it, and can therefore knock it, it’s the most horrid thing I’ve ever had in my mouth….and I’ve had a lot of bad things in my mouth ;o)

4. Each to their own mate….how anyone drinks any cheap white wine i’ll never know….amy as well go to your local chippy and ask for a bottle of their best vinegar!!

5. Real food….you mean these expensive places serve plastic stuff :shock:

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Eating a Steak that can’t be used to bang a six inch nail into the table top and has blood spilling out all over the salad is the same as northerns putting gravy on their chips…disgusting.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

1. you only need to cook food that proves a health risk from the bacteria it carries…eating raw chook could pose you a lot of problems….but beef don’t have nothing in it that’ll hurt you…and if are in a decent resaurant, you shouldn’t have to worry about contamination…and it does taste beeter less well done…it’s like asking for burnt toast….no one in their right mind done that!!

2. So you’d rather eat a bucket load of pig swill than a nice bit of something so lovely it makes your toes curl????

3. don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!! I’ve tried it, and can therefore knock it, it’s the most horrid thing I’ve ever had in my mouth….and I’ve had a lot of bad things in my mouth ;o)

4. Each to their own mate….how anyone drinks any cheap white wine i’ll never know….amy as well go to your local chippy and ask for a bottle of their best vinegar!!

5. Real food….you mean these expensive places serve plastic stuff :shock:

1 .Actually I quiet like my toast on the burnt side. I will eat steak medium but rare/medium to rare yuk, no thanks, its not even cooked just coloured either side, anything thats not cooked can’t taste better than something that is.
    2. Yes some of the fancy stuff on offer is tasty, but there is plenty of ordinary overrated stuff on the menu dressed up in some revolting sauce, whatever happened to good old gravy.
    3. Have to admit I never tried caviar, just looking at it makes my stomach turn, as you tried it and found revolting, I will gladly give it a miss.
    4. Some cheap wine can be as good as the expensive ones and sometimes better, while I like wine, a pint of Lager is my prefered tipple, but if you ordered one in these fancy restaurants everyone looks at you if your some sort of lager lout.
    5.Yes there is plenty of plastic stuff in these restaurants its pot luck if you order something tasty, as half the time you don’t have a clue what your ordering.

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

Some days I do like to indulge in some fatty, cheap, common food that a lot of the worst food snobs abhor.

That said, I have expensive tastes most of the time, and I find it rude if I’m not asked to taste the wine first.

Raw fish is one of my favourites – sushi, oysters etc. Delicious.

I was in Morrison’s cafe earlier (not my supermarket of choice…), and some old batty Northern woman came in, ignored the menu twice, then asked a busy waitress "what hot food" they did, and then asked she wouldn’t have anything unless it was liver and onions. Now she certainly wasn’t a food snob! :lol:

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

You “well-doners” don’t know what your missing.

The only way to eat steak is with blood squirting from it like a Reservoir Dogs out-take.

Try it – you’ll find that it tastes about – oh, I dunno – say, 2000% better than a steak well-done.

Trust me – unless your a vegetarian, of course, in which case, you’d probably be toiling to lift the cutlery. Mincers.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Some days I do like to indulge in some fatty, cheap, common food that a lot of the worst food snobs abhor.

That said, I have expensive tastes most of the time, and I find it rude if I’m not asked to taste the wine first.

Raw fish is one of my favourites – sushi, oysters etc. Delicious.

I was in Morrison’s cafe earlier (not my supermarket of choice…), and some old batty Northern woman came in, ignored the menu twice, then asked a busy waitress "what hot food" they did, and then asked she wouldn’t have anything unless it was liver and onions. Now she certainly wasn’t a food snob! :lol:

Just out of curiosity did you ever send away a bottle of wine Mesh ?

Raw fish delicious or tasteless ? any raw fish I tried was tasteless and felt like rubber in my mouth. The Japs love it, why I just can’t fathom, dip it sauce and you will taste the sauce but you won’t taste the fish.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

……..anything thats not cooked can’t taste better than something that is

What about Bearded Clam?

Sorry for any offence caused…………..but it was too good an opportunity for me to miss. :oops: :mrgreen:

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

……..anything thats not cooked can’t taste better than something that is

What about Bearded Clam?

Sorry for any offence caused…………..but it was too good an opportunity for me to miss. :oops: :mrgreen:

It might give pleasure but it certainly don’t taste that good, as you are inclined to get a fishy after taste, its best eaten after a shower :wink:

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Pompete,

"Have you got anything moist at all?" (Peter Kay, 2005)

Mushy peas.
    Gravy.
    Curry sauce.

Living proof that God is a Northerner :D

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I’ll eat anything and lots of it, except bearded clam which has been off the menu in our house since before we moved in.

There is a type of food facism and it’s a load of nonsense, just crafty folk swindling money out of people who have it to burn.

rainbow-promises
    • Total Posts 126

stuff meat! strawberies and cherries and raspberrys are the best :lol: oh i do like my chicken! oooooh and cranberry juice!
    anyone else fruit daft?? :lol:

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Yes I love melons .. I don’t know if thats a fruit though.

rainbow-promises
    • Total Posts 126

:lol: of course its a fruit! do u like the water melons with seeds or the yellow melons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.