The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Doncaster St Leger Meeting

Home Forums Horse Racing Doncaster St Leger Meeting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nostaw_01nostaw_01
    • Total Posts 26

I’m travelling to Doncaster on Friday for the St Leger on Saturday, and coming home on Sunday. It’s my first time in Doncaster at all, not just for racing.

Just wondered does anybody know what it’s like on St Leger weekend? Is it busy, and does anybody know the best places to go for a quiet one or a big night out?

Thanks in advance

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4562

If you are a discerning drinker then The White Swan in Frenchgate, near the railway station, is the place for a decent pint.

Rob

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5109

Haven’t braved the

apres ski

of Leger Saturday for many a year but milling with the throng in the town centre in the evening is, shall we say, a colourful experience

If you want a drink immediately after the races I’d recommend walking back into the town centre along Bennetthorpe and Hallgate and taking in the pubs on that mile-long drag. The Rockingham Arms is the first you’ll encounter and is a solid traditional boozer, as is The Salutation a little further on

Rob’s suggestion above is good, and in a similar vein you may like to try The Plough on West Laith Gate. Immediately next door is The Tut ‘n’ Shive if you fancy decent beer in noisy surroundings

The Market Place is packed with pubs and eateries

nostaw_01nostaw_01
    • Total Posts 26

Thanks a lot to both of you for the help.

Very much looking forward to it……as long as Blue Bunting wins

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.