The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Doctor Who – the new series

Home Forums Lounge Doctor Who – the new series

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

What do people think of it? Personally I’m quite impressed and haven’t even managed to find Ms. Piper totally awful.

There does seem to be a lot of London and not enough quarries, swamps or menacing country houses, but that is surely a minor issue!

The help I require relates to my daughter, who has watched every episode with me and loves it. She is quite comfortable with monsters and robots and that sort of thing, so has been in her element up to last Saturday, so…

Does anyone please have any advice on how to go about explaining the theoretical concept of time travel and the possible consequences of creating a paradox within the time-space continuum to a four-year-old with a background in Shrek and The Hoobs, rather than Physics or Applied Quantum Mechanics?

Thanks in advance,<br>NV

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Hiya,

I’ve been enjoying the series hugely, too, and that as not much of a sci-fi fan. Mind, I’ve liked most of what I’ve seen of Russell T Davies’ output to date, from the genuinely terrifying kids’ drama Dark Season about fifteen years ago, through Queer as Folk to this.

It would have been easy for the Beeb to knock out thirteen episodes of the "Quick, turn this way – eek! It’s a monster!" ad nauseam variety just to keep some people happy, but episodes like last weekend’s (and most of those concerning Rose and her family, come to that) have dared to imbue the whole premise with more depth and humanity than was previously ever the case (can anyone else ever remember another assistant being fleshed out so thoroughly?), and is all the better for it.

In my more devilish moments it did occur to me how long it would be before some of Davies’ other projects cross-pollenated with Doctor Who, and I read today that the sky captain who appears this weekend is a bisexual who will try to get his hands in both Rose AND the Doctor’s trousers in the next series. Yay! Subversion on prime-time telly, I approve (and Davies had to think of something else after Victor Lewis-Smith beat him to the idea of Gay Daleks (see http://uk.gay.com/headlines/4036 , http://www.htw.ndirect.co.uk/tvoffal.html )…..

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5860

I quite like the new series.

The modern graphics are superb.

I am of an age that I remember the very first Dr Who – and cowering behind the sofa!

I was dissapointed in only one "dalek" being shown and hope they will return in numbers in the future. Surely, they cannot write them off forever? I would have liked them rampaging up Downing Street saying:- "ID cards exterminate, ID cards exterminate, ID cards exterminate……"

Regards- Matron<br>:cool:

tooting
    • Total Posts 379

I don’t just think it’s the best Dr Who series ever (and that from a big Tom Baker fan), I think it’s the best drama on TV at the moment.

Billie Piper was excellent in an adaptation of The Millers Tale a couple of years ago, so I’m not surprised how good she is.

Christopher Ecclestone is more of a surprise – I just didn’t see him in the role at all. Luckily Russell T Davies seems to have moulded the actor and the role together (having worked with him on the quite brilliant Second Coming must have helped).  

<br>A ladybird book question if I may.  Assuming it’s conceivable that we could at some point in the future design a time machine (and I have a book on my shelves that I don’t understand that suggests we can):

Presumably we have already been visited from the future, no?

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

I’ll look out for the Simpson’s episode, Grasshopper – I do remember it but haven’t watched much Simpson’s recently.

If ‘people’ (or whatever we evolve into) in the future were coming back to us and changing things, we’d never know about it anyway (maybe Hitler originally won the war!) would we? It would just become part of our history that had always been.

You’d have to say it would be a risky occupation, given that they could easily unhappen themselves by killing the wrong butterfly or coughing at the wrong time…

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

NV,  The Simpson’s episode is Tree House of Horror 5 – a halloween special.  Here is the link:

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/2F03.html

The back to the jurassic reference comes from Ray Bradbury’s "A Sound of Thunder".<br>

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

We finished watching the series and enjoyed it immensely all told, with my daughter crying at all the weepy bits but pretending she was alright.

The best thing for me was enjoying such a ‘silly’ sci-fi series again and sharing it with Poppy.

I asked her after ‘The Last Dalek’ episode whether she could remember what daleks say. She thought about it for a couple of moments before replying in a perfect stilted dalek voice (well, perfect for a four year old): "I’M-GOING-TO-KILL-YOU"… Priceless!!!

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Any strong opinions either way on David Tennant’s appointment as the next Doctor, NV? I read that some of the jokes / catchphrases which worked the best from this series will be carried over into the next, although I’m not sure whether "You sound Scottish!", "All planets have a Scotland, you know" will work quite as well….

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

I think I’ll wait to see it first. He is not an obvious choice but then I wasn’t sure about Christopher Ecclestone and he turned out to be (imho) very good and I am slightly disappointed that he is not doing another series.

:)

Can’t help wondering what Ian Davros might have thought…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.