The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Do you remember your first bet?

Home Forums Horse Racing Do you remember your first bet?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Footslogger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 18

This topic has probably been discussed here many times but as a new member I just thought I’d mention it.

My first bet was in 1965 when I was 13 years old and I picked Jay Trump to win the Grand National. My Dad put me 6d e/w on it and it won at 100/6! I think he gave me just over £1 back – I was chuffed, I’d never had so much money in my pocket!

The only down-side was my Dad had backed Old Tom and Freddie in the Spring Double. Old Tom had won the Lincoln at 22/1 and Freddie was favourite for the National at 7/2 but Jay Trump beat it into 2nd place. I’ll never know how much my dad would have won but it would have been over a 100/1 double! At the time I wasn’t bothered because I’d backed the winner. Looking back now, I wish Freddie had won for my Dad…

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1006

Rhyme and reason when he won the GN , down on his nose on the first circuit …my dad backed Durham Edition …he wasn’t a happy chappy

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 782

1977 Beverley races, 10 pence to win on Apple Peel in the Houghton Maiden Stakes over a mile.

Finished second to Silver Cygnet.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23896

I can’t even remember the first bet I had this morning.. :rose:

Member since March 2008
    Footslogger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 18

:yahoo:

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1062

Red Alligator ’68 National. Not sure if it was my first but would have been a very early one as I was only 14. Can’t remember what I had on it, probably two bob

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1392

Monteverdi in the 1980 Derby.

Still hasn’t finished.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26853

Does a family sweepstake count?
    Remember it well despite being only 9 years old when picking Red Rum.
    Whoever’s horse finished first would win the money.
    That year (1976) Red Rum finished second to Rag Trade and knowing nobody said that name I picked the coins off the coffee table and started celebrating. Then the full result came through…
    “First number 6 Rag Trade”.
    My Nan hadn’t really wanted to play “mugs game” she said, but under my coercion just before the off chose her favourite number; you can guess what number. :wacko:
    I handed the money over. :cry:
    Had to wait another year to triumph.

value is everything
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4180

£2 placepot at Royal Ascot the day Cacoethes won. Got just short of £15 pound back. Don’t think i have had another one up since.

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1890

All six favs placed that day: 2-5, 4-6, 6-4, 2-1, 8-13 and 4-1

Still not a bad payout…

botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4180

Good memory you Ruby :good:

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1890

Using half of the Racing Post brain as well……

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 824

The first time I won the placepot was a huge stroke of luck. It was at Haydock in 1992. I got the first four but in the fifth race my selection finished fourth (needed to be first three). Then Daryl Holland forgot to weigh in on the runner up. Mine was promoted to third and placed. Then my sixth selection bolted up by about ten lengths. £31.50 to a £1 stake – and all thanks to Daryl Holland’s brain fade!

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8849

I had the usual Grand National 5p e/ws and stuff, can’t remember what the first one was, Specify’s year I suspect, but my first non- GN bet was when I picked out 4 Lester Piggott runners – can’t remember the meeting but it was low-key, Leicester maybe. Anyway I gave my Mum 20p to put off a 20p yankee (I was about 13 or 14).
    Of course she gets to the bookies who tells her that a yankee is 11 bets and costs £2.20 so he takes the 20p as a four horse accumulator. The first three win and you can guess the rest, the last leg finishes third. I remember vividly sitting waiting for the radio results at teatime (radio 2?) for the last leg (pre even teletext those days).

Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1370

Highland Wedding in the 1969 Grand National. Quite possible that this wasn’t the first but we only remember the winning ones! I don’t remember how much (probably 6d ew). My dad would have deducted a runner’s fee anyway!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.