The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Do jockeys bet?

Home Forums Horse Racing Do jockeys bet?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Do you believe any jockeys riding in the UK over the last three or four years have bet/laid a horse or been directly involved with corruption in horse racing?

There seem to be strong opinions on both sides of the current case.  It would be interesting to test the balance on here.

My answer is yes.<br>

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Of course.

Tell me something that isn’t corrupt!!

(Edited by The Market Man at 7:07 pm on Sep. 13, 2006)

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

What is the purpose of this poll? We are not allowed to post selections with reasons in this area but yet this childish drivel is allowed. You may as well have a poll on will it rain tomorrow.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Did Saddlers Wells have big nuts? :biggrin:

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

so Fallon is some kind of equine testicle guru?

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

The five people who have ticked/clicked ‘no’ in this poll really need to take their heads out of the sand.

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

This is really two individual questions.

Of course a large number of jockeys bet – parking in a jockeys’ racecourse carpark and overhearing various mobile telephone conversations can be entertainingly instructive.

However, this does not mean that the majority of jockeys are involved in wide-spread corruption.  Backing a horse in a race they don’t have a ride in, or having something antepost on the best 2yo in the yard, is very much against the rules, but does not indicate that all racing is fixed, or mean they are defrauding the public.

Bluechariot – surely the integrity of racing is something we should be discussing here? (as long as no libelling takes place!). There is no alternative board entitled ‘Racing Politics’.  Stop being petty.

(Edited by Sal at 12:44 pm on Sep. 14, 2006)

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Bluechariot, I think it is a perfectly valid poll and the votes and most of the comments seem to confirm this.

Smithy, is spot on with his comment.

Sal, you are correct and there really are two separate questions.  As any betting by jockeys is completely against the rules I think this constitutes fraud.  

The real danger jockeys face in betting in betting is the people they come into contact with.  I have worked on the racecourse betting rings for about thirty years and have come across some of these characters.  The friends, associates or drivers for jockeys conducting the bets/lays has been commonplace for years but I think is very much reduced now.  This is sure to be a direct result of the current investigations.  A few high profile licensed individuals rightly convicted and warned off for life will help the clean up of our sport and should be commended.<br>

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Is bluechariot a jock I wonder?

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Racing daily if you knew your horses my username would tell you the country and area I am from

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I didn’t ask where you were from.  Just if you were offended by the suggestion that jockeys bet.<br>Hell, it doesn’t bother me none, was just wondering is all.  

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

The only way this will be tackled will be by zero tolerance

Some of the posts ive seen along the lines of "it happens anyway" and "fallon has won me money" miss the point by a  light year. Interesting too that ive barely seen one post defending any of the other jockeys charged.

It happens. Whether its the ones charged or not, no one here can possibly comment (unless they were involved) but for my money, when a jock is hammered for this, it will send a well needed shock wave through the game and will be a step forward towards perhaps a little re-habilitation of the game in the eyes of the public,at least

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Quote: from clivex on 3:40 pm on Sep. 14, 2006[br]The only way this will be tackled will be by zero tolerance

Will David Barron release him though. Autumn is his time of the year when the ground turns and he may be better placed in attempting to win soft groundlisted races than tackling corruption.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Youre on form today DJ :biggrin:

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Sorry Racingdaily by Jock I thought you meant Scot, didnt realise it was jockey! No I am not a Jockey just someone that follows the sport

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.