The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Disgrace in Dubai

Home Forums Horse Racing Disgrace in Dubai

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 750

The decision to re-run the Dubai Gold Cup after the fatality in the first race. As James Willougby said earlier horses were warmed up, cooled down and then warmed up again. Not only that any injuries or jars they picked up in first race may not show up until the next day. Unfortunately it looks like two horses suffered bad injuries in re-run and had to be pulled up. Lets hope they will be ok. Unfortunately greed takes over.

Without putting too much of a downer on the day the TV coverage of the World Cup was attrocious. As soon as winner crossed the line they cut coverage to show all the Godolphin connections jumping up and down so we didn’t see the other horses cross the line. Someone needs to kick Barzalona up the rear and get him to stop this ludicrous standing up in stirrups and celebrating 50 yards before the line. Unfortunately the race also showed that So You Think, good horse that he is, has been pretty much overated.

Participant
    • Total Posts 750

Unfortunately Bronze Cannon one of the two pulled up in the re-run had to be put down.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2264

i never watched the race, but saw the news on internet about fox hunt, then heard they where going to re-run, and i thought they shouldn;t, sadly bronze cannon lost his life too

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

The decision to re-run the Dubai Gold Cup after the fatality in the first race. As James Willougby said earlier horses were warmed up, cooled down and then warmed up again. Not only that any injuries or jars they picked up in first race may not show up until the next day. Unfortunately it looks like two horses suffered bad injuries in re-run and had to be pulled up. Lets hope they will be ok. Unfortunately greed takes over.

Without putting too much of a downer on the day the TV coverage of the World Cup was attrocious. As soon as winner crossed the line they cut coverage to show all the Godolphin connections jumping up and down so we didn’t see the other horses cross the line. Someone needs to kick Barzalona up the rear and get him to stop this ludicrous standing up in stirrups and celebrating 50 yards before the line. Unfortunately the race also showed that So You Think, good horse that he is, has been pretty much overated.

Not sure "greed" came in to it Ken. Though understand where you’re coming from, too early to say whether the first race had anything to do with the death of Bronze Cannon or pulling up of Grand Vent. They were all no doubt checked over. Bronze Cannon had a very poor action and I seem to remember him having time off for an injury from Sept 09 to 10. May be one or both of those things had something to do with it.

Also what about a false start? Sometimes getting up to full pace before they turn back. Isn’t that the same thing? No horses even checked between "races" there.

Who did the TV coverage? Was it Channel 4 or were they taking feed from Dubai TV or whoever? For people in Dubai it would be something like the Queen winning the Derby.

Totally agree with you Ken about Barzalona. One of these days the horse is going to spook and he’ll be left on the ground just short of the winning post.

Too early to be writing off So You Think, this was his reappearance and should be back at his best some time this year. Although it’s true the Aussies did over-rate him. Those Antipodeans just don’t have the stamina.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1800

Is it possible to overrate a horse that has won eight group one races among others and seven and a half million dollars?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Is it possible to overrate a horse that has won eight group one races among others and seven and a half million dollars?

Yes.
    The standard of middle distance racing in Australia is not as good as in GB/Ire/Fr. Most of those Group 1’s weren’t of the quality of top European races.

To give So You Think credit, he probably is the best middle distance ex-Aussie. One up to winning Group 1’s in Europe at his best, as shown in the Eclipse and Irish Champion. So You Think showed three times last year he’s about the same as Snow Fairy (with the sex allowance). That’s still pretty good. He’ll still be in my Ten To Follow lists. But he’s beatable by a top class European horse. A Cirrus Des Aigles or Rewilding or Dandream or hopefully Frankel (if he stays).

Value Is Everything
    AIC
    • Total Posts 116

Can’t believe how badly placed SYT is. He’s a turf horse for a start. Planteur beat him home? Please, he’s lengths better than that horse.

We’ve got an artificial track here in Aust at Geelong…..it’s part of doing the form that you identify which horses go on that surface and which do not. Cmon this is hardly rocket science guys.

SYT should be kept to turf racing between 1400-2000. Would you run black caviar in a Melbourne cup and say she’s overrated when she gets beat? Only Aussie horse of the night to run on turf over a suitable distance was Ortensia and we saw what happened there. The mind boggles!

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

I don’t blame them running SYT here. Biggest purse in the world, and many turf horses handle the Tapeta fine. I’d be more unhappy about the decision to run in the Breeder’s Cup. The form of this year’s World Cup is shocking however.

I’d like to see him over 2400m again, he finished off harder than anything (possibly bar the winner) in the Arc.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

It’s no great surprise what happened in Dubai – they care very little about human rights so why should they care about the welfare of horses?

You can also bet any money you like the local press in Dubai will be writing absolutely nothing critical about events at Sheikh Mohammed’s playground.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833
    Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

It really is terrible that some of these occidentally friendly Arabs choose to spend vast sums on a sport they clearly enjoy. Their exploitation of labour in their own country and doubtlessly in their training establishments in other countries is to be abhorred. Wherever there is money you will find people using their power to the detriment of their fellow human beings.
    Perhaps in the grand scheme of things it would be better to alienate these friendly states. They could then divert all the money they waste on equine frivolities to organizations that seek to unbalance the precarious equilibrium of the world. Western Governments could then spend obscene sums of public money on funding re-armament on such a scale to drag the world economy out of the dire depression it is currently wallowing in. Any resulting conflicts would also help to reduce the population so it could be a win-win situation.

Be careful what you wish for…….

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Let’s alienate the whole Arab World. :roll:

If we alienate all "friendly" countries like UAE, then we’d be against half the World.

Am sure there are ways of persuading more "friendly" nations to improve their human rights through diplomacey.

It does seem double standards that Israel can do anything they like in Palestine, without the same finger wagging.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 504

All the top racing will end up in the East, including English meetings. It will take years but in the end they will have it all.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

Let’s not forget that we wouldn’t have throughbred racing as such if it wasn’t for the Arabs. Terribly sad what happened yesterday, but at least they acted quickly to stop the race first time round unlike the Queen Mother at Cheltenham. Although, I have to say I find it strange watching Sheikh Mohammed celebrating winning his own race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

AIC, I wouldn’t underestimate Planteur. He wasn’t right when he finished behind Rweilding and So You Think in the Prince of Wales’ at Ascot. There’s no way So You Think is vastly superior to him. He’s beaten Rewilding and last year’s Arc favorite Sarafina comfortably in the past.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Forgive me for returning to this issue but when Aidan O’Brien says that Joseph knows more about the horses than he does the whole operation is in trouble.Only a doting dad would put his kid up against Olivier Perlier and expect to come out on top.There is something seriously wrong at Ballydoyle when they cannot figure out what horses to put Ryan Moore up on.This started with Kinane and goes on to today.I am saddened by what is happening to the legacy of Vincent.If the Hays can pick their jockey what is stopping John Magnier?Pretty soon they will have to get rid of C.O’Donoghue if he keeps outshining Joe.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Andyod…agree to get rid of Murtagh was just so wrong , now it seems they will repent at leisure ..imo

I would fancy J Murtagh against any other jock given the ammo , sadly I cannot say the same for Joseph

Ricky

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.