The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Difficulties with SportingLife site ………

Home Forums Horse Racing Difficulties with SportingLife site ………

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

Gents,
    May I ask if any of you are having a similar problem with the SL website.
    I am having this issue for the past four days now ……………. and it is beginning to do meh poor ol’ head in.

The scenario pans out like this — it is a three-click process:
    You have a race you want to examine, and click to open the card for the race. The you click on a particluar horse to view is’t past form. You want to view a certain past race of that horse to get more detail (see how far it won by, for instance), so you click on that line of form. It as at this third-click stage that the problem arises. The site slows to a crawl and within a minute the screen crashes with a Windows mini-window pooping up telling you that there is a "problem". The only solution is to shut down the comp and boot-up again. This is damn frustrating with only minutes to go before the race starts.

So, basically I’m enquiring if any of you are having this trouble?
    I cannot believe that it is exclusively an issue at my end or with my ISP, but before I contact SL with email I would like to know if it is unique to me alone.
    Thanks in advance.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

I’m only guessing here as I have no technical knowledge how these things work, but I do know that at times, normallly during afternoon racing, the Sportinglife website disable their search facility due to high demand on the website (server or whatever it is).

So, your problem may be connected to this high demand their end.

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

Cheers Pompete, thank you for that.
    Yes, that may well be the cause. I have indeed noticed that the problem is more pronounced during the afternoon, which does indicate a greater amount of traffic during that period.
    I do wonder though if it is a widespread issue with other users, or perhaps does it happen only if you have three windows actively using the site — ie, the card; the formlines; and the specific past race which is when the problem arises. Maybe SportingLife are "throttling-back" on heavy users to preserve bandwith?

Anyway, I do hope the situation resolves itself ……………. I find the ATR site just too slow loading previous form during racing and the Betfair/Timeform one doesn’t give the Class of previous races in which a horse has run..

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

I use the SL site for my form study but I haven’t had any problems. However I do tend to look before the days racing begins rather than ongoing through an afternoon. Occassionally the opening of the horse form window (or trainer form window) takes ages in which case I just shut the window and re-open. That usually works.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Which browser and OS are you using? If you’re on Vista, it could be that your computer isn’t good enough to run it comfortably. This isn’t a slight against your computer, nobody I know willingly uses Vista.

It could also be attributed to Internet Explorer. Download Mozilla if so, guaranteed to have no problems with that.

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

Cheers lads, thank you for your very helpful replies.

Zarkava, Yessss!!! It is Vista (basic edition) in conjunction with Internet Explorer that I use ………….. and the laptop is a fairly pedestrian Celeron one with only 0.5 Gigabyte memory. You think this might be the cause? As well as SportingLife site, Gruss would normally also be open along with oddschecker, another SL window with current odds, and the ukracestats spreadsheet. Perhaps this is putting too much demand on a system which is under-equipped to cope?
    (The only thing is that it is only during the past week that the problem has become a major issue).

I shall take your advice and try Mozilla Firefox. If no improvement with that I will buy a new laptop, and be done with it. Do you think a dual-core with 2 Gig would suffice for the above requirements?

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

I used Mozilla Firefox today as suggested ……………… and it is the dog’s doodah’s! :lol:
    Used it for the entire duration of this afternoon’s racing and no problems whatsoever. Not a single occurence of freezing or crashes, etc. Brilliant!
    And all the different pages load much more quickly also.
    Excellent, Sorted. I’m well chuffed.
    Thanks for all the help.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Cheers lads, thank you for your very helpful replies.

Zarkava, Yessss!!! It is Vista (basic edition) in conjunction with Internet Explorer that I use ………….. and the laptop is a fairly pedestrian Celeron one with only 0.5 Gigabyte memory. You think this might be the cause? As well as SportingLife site, Gruss would normally also be open along with oddschecker, another SL window with current odds, and the ukracestats spreadsheet. Perhaps this is putting too much demand on a system which is under-equipped to cope?
    (The only thing is that it is only during the past week that the problem has become a major issue).

I shall take your advice and try Mozilla Firefox. If no improvement with that I will buy a new laptop, and be done with it. Do you think a dual-core with 2 Gig would suffice for the above requirements?

Jesus wept, Vista on a 2GB machine barely functions and you’re using it on a 0.5GB. Ok, stick XP on that asap and it’ll seem like a new laptop.

And yup, Mozilla is quite comfortably the best browser around. Quite why anybody in the entire world uses IE is beyond me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.