The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dettori NOT retiring

Home Forums Horse Racing Dettori NOT retiring

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

I wonder how much they will push the mental health aspect with Earps.. They’ve been trying for years with Tyson Fury but he declined
    Frankie odds were much shorter before his retirement U turn
    in terms of sporting achievement this year I think he has done more than Earps and Broad

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

No room on the shortlist for Ronnie O’Sullivan again.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

One of the few sports the BBC actually has the rights to as well Cork.

Johnson-Thompson deserves more recognition and I’m pleased she was at least nominated. It was a thrilling victory after pulling out PBs on the second day to narrowly win it. I’d argue the best achievement this year amongst the nominees. Probably forty years too late for SPOTY though, there were a lot of athletics winners in the 70s and 80s. Even the Worlds get little attention in the post-Bolt era with only the Olympics really getting much traction with the general public.

Don’t fancy Dettori’s chances. Don’t forget McCoy was also helped out by the fairytale National win in 2010. Dettori winning a couple more classics that barely register with the outside world any more doesn’t come close.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

That is what makes his omission all the more surprising Richard, as you imply.

I think he should have been on the shortlist instead of McIlroy – someone who has gone almost a decade without winning a Major. I don’t think being on a winning Ryder Cup team playing at home is enough to be on the list. He made just as many headlines for his row with two of the caddies!

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

Yes agreed, I think McIlroy was the top scorer but it wasn’t even 5/5. If he’d finally bagged another Major that would make him worthy of inclusion.

worzelwaywardlad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 204

How standards have dropped! Back when i was younger someone like Josh Kerr winning the 1500 metres at the Worlds would have guaranteed inclusion but not any more. I like Rory but majorless for many years and being included off the back of a Ryder cup seems excessive.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Back in the days when the programme was “Sports Review Of The Year”, you could vote for whoever you wanted via a coupon in the “Radio Times”. Not just for who the BBC lets you vote for.

worzelwaywardlad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 204

You’re right CAS but when the Angling fraternity got behind Bob Nudd, the BBC conveniently decided not to count his votes!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Yes, that is part of the reason why they got rid of it! Although by then the technology had come in to allow for telephone voting.

The show was better when it was Sports Review of the Year and the award was just a short section at the end. It has not been as good since they decided to make it all about the “personalities” instead.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

I expect the sports review bit would be very short and quite niche these days. Back then they probably had the rights to most things.

I’m sure I remember a shortlist of ten not so long ago but it may have been a one off for the Olympics. Seems fairer and allows for two from the same sport, as worzel says, Josh Kerr must have been close to a nomination. That was up off the sofa stuff for me, against very long odds on favourite too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I have to admit I am not much of an athletics fan but after reading about Kerr today, I agree he is very unfortunate not to get a nomination.

I think the shortlist has been 6 since 2020, when Covid and lockdowns severely disrupted the sporting programme. Remember, in that year Hollie Doyle was on the shortlist, mainly due to riding a double on Champions Day. I doubt that would have got her on the list in a normal year, although I am sure there used to be as many as 12 nominations.

Fair point about the rights issue Richard – but it was still a better show back then. I never used to miss it. Now I can take it or leave it. I will probably only put it on towards the end just to find out who has won but the betting suggests it is foregone conclusion.

worzelwaywardlad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 204

It was unmissable as a kid growing up but I’ve hardly seen any of them in the last twenty five years! Think I got disenchanted due to the fact that many worthwhile minority sports hardly got a mention, whilst football, motor racing etc took most of the air time.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

While it is good to see women’s football starting to catch up with men’s in prestige, it seems to me that the main consequence is that the dominance of football over all other sports grows ever greater.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

‘I have to admit I am not much of an athletics fan but after reading about Kerr today, I agree he is very unfortunate not to get a nomination.’

Yes, in fact the second time Jakob Ingebrigtsen was beaten by a Brit over 1500m in little over a year in the (usually biennial) World Championships. In the glory days of British middle distance they’d have both been big news and solid top 3 SPOTY bets.

worzelwaywardlad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 204

Jessica Gadirova got three Golds at the European Gymnastic championships but as mentioned earlier as it’s not an Olympic year, same as Matt Richards getting two Golds in the Swimming World Championships; as they are not big names in big sports you have no chance.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

Mary Earps won the Sports Personality of the Year award tonight from Stuart Broad and Katarina Johnson-Thompson.

Dettori could not better the third place he achieved in 1996, the year of his Magnificent Seven.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

Exactly the order the betting suggested. I don’t know if they release the full figures.

For those who didn’t watch, Dettori wasn’t there but had a chat with Clare Balding over video link. A few of the big races in both codes were mentioned in their overview of the year, overall it was as positive as racing coverage will get on the BBC these days.

Alfie Hewett came across quite well but was always going to struggle coming from wheelchair tennis which gets all but zero coverage outside Wimbledon and the Paralympics.

Rory McIlroy didn’t even appear on video link but managed to convince Ryder Cup team mate Tommy Fleetwood to turn up on his behalf.

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.