The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dettori NOT retiring

Home Forums Horse Racing Dettori NOT retiring

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

At least it gives people a different programme to moan about than ITV Racing 😉

RTB, the drunk driving incident involved the other presenter, Ant McPartlin. I agree he got off very lightly, and that the careers of other TV stars have ended for less serious transgressions.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Agree about McPartlin. I expect he is too valuable an asset to ITV, which has allowed him to get away with it. I don’t understand the appeal of him and his sidekick at all.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

Frankie first out

Vf x

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

I wonder if edfiggyrock2 will come back to TRF now… :bye:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

Dettori simply didn’t get the public support, though it’s fair to say he was disadvantaged due to entering late and getting very little airtime compared to some of ITV’s favoured contestants.

I’ve been watching on and off out of curiosity to see how he fared, and thought he came across well throughout what I saw.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

“”I just wish thick, moronic, pocket talking punters like wexford man and Troy would learn a bit more about race riding and horsemanship before writing drivel about brilliant jockeys.
    It makes my blood boil.” ”

On a tangent…I wonder where wex went. I liked him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Frankie will probably be happy to take the money and run. Last in, first out.
    No real standout moments from him good or bad, just a standard good performance 👍

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

I had forgotten that Frankie wasn’t the first jockey to appear on I’m A Celebrity. Willie Carson came 5th in 2011.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Fancy getting voted out before Farage… :scratch:

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

Not a great look, is it?

I’m A Celebrity is “vote to save”, so polarising figures such as Farage tend to last a while due to their devoted followers. If it was “vote to leave”, Farage or Nella would have gone first (the former rather appropriately).

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

Shortlist for BBC Sports Personality of the Year is out :

Cricketer Stuart Broad, jockey Frankie Dettori, footballer Mary Earps, wheelchair tennis player Alfie Hewett, athlete Katarina Johnson-Thompson and golfer Rory McIlroy are the nominees.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Mary Earps is long odds on to win this I just can’t see Dettori winning it. Racing over football?

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

Maybe, but then I couldn’t see McCoy winning it in 2010.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

McCoy didn’t have huge competition, a darts player came second. What with the women doing so well at the football World Cup I can see why she is a strong favourite to win.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Dettori is best priced 35/1.

I find it a little surprising that Mary Earps is as short as 1/10. Not sure I would want £100 on to win a tenner.

Is she really such a certainty? Then again, it has not been a particularly vintage year (no Olympics or men’s World Cup etc).

Stuart Broad is a best priced 14/1. He probably won’t win but I think that is a little overpriced.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

It would likely take racing fans en masse to vote for him – that is what happened when McCoy won after his National win together with a pretty big concerted media campaign promoting him outside of racing along with not another standout opponent (don’t forget he was also third twice if memory serves).

Mary Earps helped England reach the World Cup Final, she won the Golden Glove (for top goalkeeper) in that Competition and has also had the highest ever placing for a goalkeeper in the female version of the Ballon d’Or this year, had a record number of clean sheets in last season’s Womens Super League and won England’s Women’s Player of the Year award………..hence the reason for her favouritism as she is the strongest candidate out of all of those short listed especially considering the push women’s football in general is going through.

Would have thought that Katarina Johnson-Thompson the 2023 World Heptathlon Champion will nab 2nd place (outside of athletics I am not sure she would get quite the same recognition as Mary Earps would), so if Frankie gets 3rd place he will have done well.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

I appreciate the audiences are not the same, but the fact Dettori had extremely minimal public support in I’m A Celebrity does not bode well for his chances in another public popularity contest.

Racing did well with its campaign to get McCoy an unlikely victory in Sports Personality in 2013. I don’t see Dettori having the same momentum, and wouldn’t be taking the 35/1.

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.