The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dettori NOT retiring

Home Forums Horse Racing Dettori NOT retiring

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I could sort of understand Dettori appearing on “Celebrity Big Brother”. He was at a bit of a low point in his career back then. Now he is riding high, so why does he need to appear in this load of rubbish?

Some people clearly can never have enough money or publicity.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

Good opportunity for ITV to do a bit of cross-promotion of racing and IAC? I assume it’s happening soon soon so obviously a flat jockey doesn’t quite work but I’m sure they won’t let that get in the way.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

You’ve most likely answered your own question there CAS, though it’s also true that some people might find taking part an interesting challenge.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

I wonder how this sits with his plan to carve a US career. “Got an exciting horse Frankie. Think he might be a Kentucky Derby contender. Fancy coming over to ride out and see what you think?”. “Sorry no. I’m in a fake jungle eating kangaroo testicles with Nigel Farage”.

Doesn’t seem very professional to me but maybe Americans like that sort of thing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

Didn’t he once go in big brother?

VF x

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

Apparently so. I assume that was during winter when he was UK based and already well established so not much of an issue (though I didn’t watch it so just guessing).

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

He was in BB whilst seeing out a drug ban I think

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

As I said above, his appearance on “Celebrity Big Brother” was at the low point of his career. He had lost the Godolphin job and I think it was when he was serving a ban due to testing positive for drugs after the Arc.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Is it a boost or another nail in the coffin of my sports personality of the year bet… :scratch:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

I suppose that depends on how much of a knob he makes of himself Nathan. I’m glad I don’t have any money on…!

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

Dettori made little impression on the public during Celebrity Big Brother. Possibly he is now in a more buoyant frame of mind, and I suspect ITV will edit him favourably as mentioned further up the the thread. I doubt it will do his public profile any harm.

I’ve found his neverending retirement tour somewhat tiresome, but Dettori is now at a stage of life where he can pick and choose what he wants to do. So if he wants to go off and spend a couple of weeks munching on kangaroo testicles good luck to him.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1030

Regards his America thing, normally I’m a Celeb is on late Nov/early Dec so he’ll be free again in the New Year. He’ll be one in there you’d think will be fine with the small portions being a flat jockey.

Is he skint? Shouldn’t speculate and seems a strange time to consider retirement if so but I’m sure I read he’d sold loads of his memorabilia too. Perhaps its all for charity and I’ve missed that bit :unsure:

Participant
    • Total Posts 252

There are many examples of professional sports people who attempt a comeback after “retiring”. It must be hard to accept when the body is getting old and can’t perform at the level they’re used to anymore.

After a great season, I understand Frankie not wanting to retire after all. I expect he will be back on the UK horseracing scene next year.

Maybe this is a lesson to keep schtum on any plans to retire until the event happens 😂.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16518

“Maybe this is a lesson to keep schtum on any plans to retire until the event happens 😂.”

I think not.

He couldn’t have had the season he’s had without a “premature” announcement of retirement. This is a well executed plan which hasn’t always gone to plan in making himself the absolute centre of attention.
    The only unplanned bit in all of this carefully crafted affair has been a racecourse in Ireland calling his bluff on his return leg of his retirement tour after a meeting was cancelled and rescheduled and his handlers asked for more cash than had been originally agreed. The Irish racecourse realised they’d sold plenty of tickets to cover his original demands but not sufficient for his entourage to renege on an original fee and ask for more.
    I think he has done it all the right way and for racing he is a marketing man’s dream. He is “box office” the housewives and househusbands choice and a genuine household name in sport.
    If he had said he was retiring from British racing to ride and live in America then it wouldn’t have been the same because this thread would have said “ah but he’s not actually retiring then is he if he’s off to the states.” He has maximised every angle of media available to him and then some. It has been a very carefully planned process right from the beginning and for the likes of future household names in the sport like Tom Marquand and Hollie Doyle they better get on Tik tok pronto sharpish like and start “influencing peeps like wot frankie does”.
    No, I said influencing not infuriating.

So he’ll be here next summer riding as usual at Royal Ascot for Wesley Ward, John Gosden, Charlie Johnston and every trainer who’ll assist in giving him a full book of rides next year.
    Power to his elbow. In terms of recognisability Frankie and Thommo are all we’ve got, now Fat Mac has gone.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Dettori isn’t in the same league as Thommo …

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

Well after all that, he’s not on the confirmed list!

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

Tonge, a couple of contestants are normally brought in late, and it seems highly likely one of them will be Dettori.

It has probably harmed his chances though as the latecomers don’t tend to do well in the public voting.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.