The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dettori NOT retiring

Home Forums Horse Racing Dettori NOT retiring

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9224

After all the hoopla, farewell tours, etc, the wee lad isn’t retiring after all. Says he’s going to ride full time in the States.
    You can almost guarantee his Ascot rides on Champions Day won’t be his last UK appearances I’d say.
    What do we think of that?

His prerogative I guess but quite embarrassing given the red carpet treatment he’s been given throughout the year.

Tizaaards Cider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 639

Narcissistic little 5hit.

How he’s managed to worm his way back into a lot of peoples affections despite his selfish and arrogant behaviour over the years is beyond me.

Terrific jockey. I’ve just never taken to him as a person.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

He is entitled to change his mind and I suppose he could not have predicted at the start of the year how successful a season he was going to have.

It just looks a little bit unsatisfactory given how much he milked it for all it was worth and even claimed appearance fees from one or two meetings. Perhaps he should donate those to the Injured Jockeys Fund?

I can’t believe he will never ride in Britain again. Will he really be able to resist Royal Ascot, Epsom etc?

GM23
    Participant
    • Total Posts 508

Embarrassing, considering how much he’s milked it this season.

I’ve no doubt he’ll be riding in Britain again next year and may never get the chance to go out on such good terms again.

I’m not too bothered though as I like him as a jockey. Still better than most even if he his well past his best.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Certainly puts a spin on the spin. Considering the seeds of this were sown at the Ebor meeting he carried on milking it for all it’s worth. To retire you stop what you are doing, he clearly is not retiring.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

The meeting at Listowel where he had a disagreement about his fee was after the Ebor meeting, by which time he knew he was not retiring. His behaviour over that issue looked poor at the time and even worse now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

That’s the problem with retirement a year in advance..😂

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I haven’t taken the slightest interest in his “farewell tour,” and haven’t even seen him ride live this year.

He’s still a good jockey, but I have zero interest in him personally.

As for his adoring fans, spending money to be there for “his last….” whatever, further evidence, as if it were needed, that there really is “ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE.”

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

What chance the media now stop this farewell tour charade.

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4740

Reminds me of this

The best things in life are free.
    But you can give them to the birds and bees.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Comes as no surprise. He has always come across as an attention seeking egomaniac.
    Let’s hope that the racing media now stop this Frankie’s last farewell BS.
    It’s been sycophantic and he has had them all over.
    Hope that any monies obtained from this are either paid back , or given to racing charities.
    Let’s hope that he stays in the States , and we have to endure no more of this nonsense.

Meerkat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 66

Totally expected this to happen. It’s all about him. Hands up never been a fan of his. Makes his farewell tour and things like his cash demands to appear at Listowel (rightly declined by the course) all look very hollow and attention seeking in my opinion.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9224

I hope any plans Newmarket this weekend and Ascot on Champions Day have for big farewell shenanigans are shelved. Would be a very hollow show.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

If seeing someone so animated in real life I’d run the other way. But I do recognise that’s just me. If everyone was the same (and certainly if everyone was like me) life would be boring. Racing needs its characters.

Many people wanted to celebrate Frankie’s career.
    Is it FD’s fault there’s been such a crazy show of “Frankie’s Last…” stand?

…And isn’t everyone entitled to change their mind?

OK Many of us thought there’d be a change of heart, but I don’t think it is “all about him” as such. We know over the years how… When Frankie is in a good mood he rides well and wins plenty. Confidence reigns supreme with this man… And the suspicion is when things are going wrong he’s totally different. So with such a person it can’t be any surprise a retirement announced at a time he was low has been somewhat changed after the year he’s had. I don’t think there was any intention to deceive.

Just forget the character and celebrate one of the best jockeys we’ve seen.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“The world of sport and showbiz will be coming together at Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane, to celebrate Frankie’s amazing career. This has seen him ride 3,000+ winners including over 250 G1’s, 30 plus GB and Irish Classics, 70+ Royal Ascot winners, Breeders Cups, and ride all 7 winners at Ascot. ​

This truly unique event takes place after Champions Day and will be headlined by Mike Rutherford and special guests alongside the Swan Band. ​

The evening will start with a Champagne Reception and Marco Pierre White is currently working with the team at the Grosvenor to design a wonderful dinner. Price: £1,250 per person or £10,000 for a table for 10.”

Presumably it will be cancelled now? 😉

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

‘I hope any plans Newmarket this weekend and Ascot on Champions Day have for big farewell shenanigans are shelved. Would be a very hollow show.’

I happened to hear a radio advert for Ascot at the weekend and it was being sold as Dettori’s final European racecourse appearance. As things stand that is still true but I wouldn’t lay you particularly big odds about that eventually turning out to be false.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Be interesting to see how ITV play it tomorrow a slight change of tack I suspect.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.