The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derek Thompson

Home Forums Horse Racing Derek Thompson

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    MarkTTMarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2732

There is now an image of Derek next to " Ad Nauseum " in the dictionary

Can someone put him down ?

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26574

:lol:

His "gave it a great ride" to every winner does get on your nerves.

Giles Cross "great ride"? For sure O’Regan did ride a good race until the run-in. And may be thinking he went for home too soon at Chepstow… But too confident today, could easily have gone wrong.

Tommo is the bloke you love to hate though.

value is everything
    Limestone Lad
    • Total Posts 13

Machin’s worse at the festival, post-race. Every winner was given a ‘super ride’ and he always asks how relieving it must be to get ‘one on the board’, now they can ‘enjoy the festival’.

Come up with something new! :lol:

okjoe57okjoe57
    Participant
    • Total Posts 189

Tommo reminds me of the late Bob Monkhouse, everything he says makes me groan but he’s been around so long that I’ve started to appreciate him. The ‘new Tommo’ is surely Jason Weaver.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4578

Thommo knows how to work a crowd, but he gets on my after wick after a short while. Thankfully his Channel 4 commitments saved ears from taking a bashing at Musselburgh last weekend.

Rob

BurroughhillBurroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

I can only take him in small doses but you’ve got to admire his enthusiasm. He loves every minute of what he does. What I can’t stand is him interviewing people: it’s painful. The Bob Monkhouse comparison is spot on.

The irritation he causes me however pales into nothing compared to listening to Matt Chapman "commentating" at (I think) Lingfield the other day. OMG.

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

"Steady on big fella" ;)

kevcalkevcal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 151

I was at Musselburgh last saturday and i can say Thommo knows how to work a crowd!
    After the C4 camera’s went off air he started entertaining us. I think it was after the 5th race that they had him pulling spent tickets from a hat to win cases of John Smith.
    Thommo asked how many cases did they have for the prizes – was told 6. Then asked so how many tickets do I pull! Priceless!

Everyone around was chuckling at him and he didn’t care, all part of the act!

ajiaji
    • Total Posts 470

Poor commentator, superb compere.

If you’re not that into racing but come for a day out and a flutter and some excitement, the gaps between races can be quite dead. I think his entertainment between the races really adds to the day for many people. He makes me chuckle. I like that his entertainment is based on the racing, rather than divorced from it in the way that say a band or a falconry display is.

espmadridespmadrid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 533

As a presenter he’s not too bad and when he has his serious hat on he is actually quite good.

Unfortunately he has got to be the worst race commentator on the current rota. Whenever I go racing the first thing I look for on the racecard is the commentator and pray it’s not him.

Most annoying phrases during race commentary:

1) I’ll leave that to the judge.

Why not give an opinion as to which horse has won or at least continue the commentary with the placed horses?

2) Let’s see what’s going to happen.

Yes, that’s why we are watching…Grrrrrr.

3) Who’s going to get there?

Ditto.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

MarkTTMarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2732

As a presenter he’s not too bad and when he has his serious hat on he is actually quite good.

Unfortunately he has got to be the worst race commentator on the current rota. Whenever I go racing the first thing I look for on the racecard is the commentator and pray it’s not him.

Most annoying phrases during race commentary:

1) I’ll leave that to the judge.

Why not give an opinion as to which horse has won or at least continue the commentary with the placed horses?

2) Let’s see what’s going to happen.

Yes, that’s why we are watching…Grrrrrr.

3) Who’s going to get there?

Ditto.

4 ) They’re not messing about here
    ( even in a seller that’s a minute below standard )

5 ) He could go round again !

6 ) And then…there’s his pause…when he’s trying to create….suspense. Stay with us !

MarkTTMarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2732

I can only take him in small doses but you’ve got to admire his enthusiasm. He loves every minute of what he does. What I can’t stand is him interviewing people: it’s painful. The Bob Monkhouse comparison is spot on.

The irritation he causes me however pales into nothing compared to listening to Matt Chapman "commentating" at (I think) Lingfield the other day. OMG.

I had the displeasure of hearing that. Read out the name of the horse that came last like it was the winner. American style commentating at it’s worst.

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4609

I had the displeasure of hearing that. Read out the name of the horse that came last like it was the winner. American style commentating at it’s worst.

The only comment that could really be made was it was an American Style commentary for American style racing – they deserve one another.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1215

Have you heard Tommo in the 5 mins before a race when he’s commentating? 2.00 at Taunton today was a good example.

"Any More bets"

"5 mins to off time, any more bets"

"4 mins to off time, any more bets"

"3mins to have a bet"

"Any more bets, 2 mins to have a bet"

"One minute to the off, any more bets"

"30 secs to the off, any more bets" he repeated this one
    "30 secs to the off , any more bets"

I’ve even heard him say there’s some great prices down in the ring when they’re betting to 140%

peter .hpeter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1250

Not a great commentator, but a bloody entertaining man and racing needs a guy like him to bring in those once a year race goers.

I really like him and enjoy watching him. He’s fun. And that’s okay.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.