The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derek Thompson

Home Forums Horse Racing Derek Thompson

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Ten Up
    • Total Posts 17

Anybody know when he is going away? :lol:

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

…………and if he’s coming back?

Colin

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

hmm a really intelligent contribution to the forum…

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

:lol:

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Word of warning Ten Up.

Never disrespect Thommo when Kauto is about, Many have tried and have felt her wrath.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Many have tried and have felt her wrath.

I couldn’t reach.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Many have tried and have felt her wrath.

I couldn’t reach.

gc

He’s here all week; try the veal…..

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9193

You can say what you like about Thommo and, during Saturday afternoons watching CH 4 I’ve probably said a lot of it, but I was at Musselburgh the other Sunday and he was a star.

The entire afternoon he was commentating, then immediately down in the paddock MC’ing a variety of events. Presentation of prizes, interviews with connections, raffles, giving away ice cream vouchers, talking about the Ashes series as it was beamed on the big screen (dodgy subject in Scotland) and generally really adding to the day’s entertainment for a great majority of the casual racegoers who looked to be thoroughly enjoying his ‘antics’. He didn’t seem to stop either bustling about ofr talking for the entire five hours.

For me I’d rather have Clare Balding, Francome, McGrath, Williamson – even Down – presenting my TV racing but I saw Thommo in a different light the other day.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I know Thommo has his detractors and his relentless good humour can grate at times but having guested on his programme on ATR recently I will say he was brilliant to work with. He is extremely personable, enthusiastic and knowledgeable and the time just flew by.

Others may be more high-brow but I think he offers a good balance and I agree with Corm that when he is MC’ing a racemeeting he can really bring the event to life for casuals and experienced racegoers alike.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

It’s a shame that he does that terrible tipping line thing, it sort of spoils his street cred.

I have to agree with Adrian about his knowledge though, he was the first one to point out to me that there is never a non-runner at Steepledowns, top bloke.

He should be the Official voice of racing.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

…………….nah! that’s McCririck with Chapman standing by to take over when the old man has had enough.

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 3355

The entire afternoon he was commentating, then immediately down in the paddock MC’ing a variety of events. Presentation of prizes, interviews with connections, raffles, giving away ice cream vouchers, talking about the Ashes series as it was beamed on the big screen (dodgy subject in Scotland) and generally really adding to the day’s entertainment for a great majority of the casual racegoers who looked to be thoroughly enjoying his ‘antics’. He didn’t seem to stop either bustling about ofr talking for the entire five hours.

Sounds horrendous, I know some were driven up the wall by the non stop racket throughout the afternoon. I’ve no interest in hearing pop music or watching cricket if I go to the races, would prefer to see the racing from the other meetings on the big screen. If people want to watch the cricket they’re unlikely to be going to the races.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Absolutely agree that Thommo is excellent at providing the "full package" on course and it is very popular with a larfe number of racegoers.

OK his style is not suited for the big festivals or major meetings but for family days at the "lesser" (and I choose my words carefully here) courses he is excellent. I would also add that Lee McKenzie is another who is very good when MC’ing.

Whilst I have every sympathy with what Yeats is saying, a balance needs to be struck.- it would be a pain if it happened at every meeting but at the family days, where there is the possibility of attracting newcomers it can be worthwhile.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I have always viewed Derek ("ho,ho ho !") Thommo as the avuncular, if at times partonizing and over sensitive racing presenter.

He will also chase the quick buck anywhere, and in doing so will gladly open any old bookie’s shop from here to auchtershuggle and back. :lol:

He dislikes crticism. I have noticed that he likes to dish it out – if in a somewhat subtle manner – but he just don’t like it up ‘im – especially when reminded ( by Catt this morning ) of his god awful tips. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

He dislikes crticism. I have noticed that he likes to dish it out – if in a somewhat subtle manner – but he just don’t like it up ‘im – especially when reminded ( by Catt this morning ) of his god awful tips. :wink:

I would disagree there – he can and does laugh at himself.

One example that springs to mind was at Huntingdon last year.

He came in the press room and asked the question, "Something signifiant happened here 26 years ago today, does anyone know what it was?"

Quick as a flash (unusual for me), I replied, "The last time you bought a round?"

To his credit he laughed, in fact I think he responded along the lines that it was longer ago than that when he last bought a round.

I can only speak from experience but I have always found him friendly, approachable and helpful.

And if he want’s to open bookies across the land then why not – it pays well and the bookies realise he will get people through the doors for the openings – if he didn’t he would not be asked.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

OK his style is not suited for the big festivals or major meetings but for family days at the "lesser" (and I choose my words carefully here) courses he is excellent.

Never better illustrated by the one Sunday a year at Rasen where he does all the MCing, meeting and greeting, wading into the crowds, etc. and has them all eating out of his hand very impressively. He performs, the Rasen crowds love it. Simple, really.

Random thought. Whenever Thommo goes to Boots or Jessops to pick up his holiday snaps, when they’re handed over to him I wonder whether, out of force of habit, he shouts "…Ooohit’saphoto!!!"

I think I’d quite like to see that. 8)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Ruby Walsh loves Thommo :lol: Ok so he’s a plonker at times but he is good at his job and a very likeable charachter.

If you want to here someone who has got to be the worst commentator on the planet you should tune into SL Radio..I think I’m right in saying it’s the same commentry that’s on ATR?????……..this guy is unreal and is talking about the horses in last place when the rest are 100 yds from the line…he overdoes "Make it sound like a good race" like no one else on the planet could…………horses he says are leading are already stuffed and he’s like 20 seconds behind what’s actually happening….horses are chllenging going into the final furlong and when you wach the race later the thing was in 5th going nowhere…….anyone know who he is? Don’t know where they got him but I hipe he’s replaced asap.

Thommo Rules!!!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.