The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby to be run at 1.30pm

Home Forums Horse Racing Derby to be run at 1.30pm

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

https://www.racingpost.com/news/festivals/derby-festival/surrey-police-make-19-arrests-in-connection-with-planned-criminal-disruption-of-derby-festival-a5V8Y3E4iknd/

I like the first photo accompanying the article. Excellent technique in the tackle, good footwork and superb agility for a big lad. I hope he gets a “tackle of the year” award at his rugby club’s annual bash. Nice to see one of the front row (I assume) getting the limelight instead of the usual flash Harry backs.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

I always set on record and watched an hour after the start so watched the Derby at 14.30, gives you the opportunity to flick through the ads and drivel.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Think they had to move the race.
    But it would’ve imo been better later in the day – following on from the Cup Final at around 5:30 or even 6:00.

Could even make it a permanent thing.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

“But it would’ve imo been better later in the day – following on from the Cup Final at around 5:30 or even 6:00.”

5.30 or even 6.00 would have been too early Gingertipster in the event of extra time and penalties.

Matt Chapman suggested 6.45 would have been acceptable to ITV but the World Pool rules the day. It was probably a factor in that cock up in the Dash when the race should have been voided.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

Realistically it couldn’t have been before 6.30 if leaving it until afterwards. If the football had gone to penalties then that would end nearly three hours after kick off (the recent Europa League final took three hours and five minutes). Add on the trophy presentation and the Derby isn’t happening before 6.30. You then have Epsom and Wembley kicking out time quite close to each other so I can’t imagine the Old Bill would have been too happy.

It’s a one off as the Cup Final will be back to normal next year, the world will still turn and we can forget this ever happened.

And football fans can go back to complaining that the Cup Final doesn’t kick off at 3pm ‘like it’s supposed to’. It’s not just racing fans who bemoan things not being like they were in the old days.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“It’s a one off as the Cup Final will be back to normal next year, the world will still turn and we can forget this ever happened.”

That is the sum of it.

I do not think an evening Derby was ever realistic. And whether we like it or not, ITV’s current offering – “Celebrity Tipping Point” – will probably bring in just as much advertising revenue for the channel as an outside broadcast of a non football sporting event will.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Final Score: If I thought Serpentine’s Covid Derby was weird – but good as at 50/1 he was one of my four win only bets on the race and the deserted Downs made a particularly nice fit with my mute button – today’s Cup Final Day early kick off Derby was right up there with it.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I wonder what the attendance was like today, due to the rail strike. It is difficult to tell from watching on television but the atmosphere seemed a bit muted.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

That’s a good point, Yeats. :good:
    You’re right, a 5:30 or 6:00 wouldn’t work.

What about a 7:00PM evening Derby? :unsure:

Would the World Pool be that much of a problem?
    tbh I’ve not followed racing politics for a few years now.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

“the atmosphere seemed a bit muted.”

It was certainly quieter than usual, which was no bad thing. Pity about the sea of parasols that has developed over the last few years; really ruins the viewing experience from the stands.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I don’t like the new stand in Tatts. The old stand was much better. I used to go right to the top of it where there was a panoramic view over the whole track.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“What about a 7:00PM evening Derby?”

I am not sure the police would favour it and I don’t expect it would be popular with residents of Epsom and Ewell either.

Would ITV really want to show the race at that time?

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

Given how full the pubs are near any major raceday at 10am, God knows what state people would be in by 7pm. I’m not saying it’s right but that’s the reality.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Good points CAS, Yeats and Richard.
    You’ve convinced me a 1:30 start was best. :rose:

Value Is Everything
    Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

Something always had to give, they are both amongst the few events protected ‘free to air’ so in theory ITV4 would suffice, but I imagine there is probably a contract that requires ITV to show the major races on the main channel. An early start wasn’t ideal but it was the least bad option for all involved.

Funny old world, who’d have thought that some brown envelopes changing hands* between football officials over a decade ago would eventually lead to a 1.30pm Derby.

*Allegedly. Ahem.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2901

At least with the 1.30pm start half the students would still have been in their pit meaning less disruption than there would have been if this had taken place at 4.30pm.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

We may have come close to another Emily Davidson moment today without quick action by police.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 151 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.