The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dave Smith removed as a judge by BHA

Home Forums Horse Racing Dave Smith removed as a judge by BHA

Viewing 4 posts - 18 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

There has been a story circulating for some time, I’m not sure how apocryphal it may be but I’ve heard it from several different sources, that Mr Smith had a thing about the exchanges – I’m not sure if he was abused by one in the past – and the reason for his quick calls is to stifle the photo-finish markets.

Bang on the money there Paul,I’ve seen it with my own eyes! You Sir should have been a Detective! It all makes sense now as there really is No other reason for rushing a result through,it kinda makes you think that Dave had a bit of an agenda though,almost a ‘Romeo and Juliet’ saga enfolds! :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

There has been a story circulating for some time, I’m not sure how apocryphal it may be but I’ve heard it from several different sources, that Mr Smith had a thing about the exchanges – I’m not sure if he was abused by one in the past – and the reason for his quick calls is to stifle the photo-finish markets.

If that is true there is no place for people with that sort of agenda deciding anything, with millions of pounds at stake. Wonder how many he’s got wrong in the past?

There did seem to be something particularly odd about this call though, the length of time required to decide a dead-heat, even if he did have assistance, referring to himself in the third person when announcing the result, the disappearing photograph and Robin Mounsey of the BHA confirming it was a dead-heat.

But let’s not kid ourselves that Smith is the only one who has favoured the rapid fire result, others are just as culpable. Although I’ve not heard him doing the job recently Kemp was even worse than Smith, busting a gut to announce the result even if it was a nose, without having to resort to a photo.
    Goodwill & Wheeler are others.
    What is their agenda? Ego?

Having listened to judges quite closely these last few years, by far the best judge and the one who does it how it should be done is Di Clark.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

But let’s not kid ourselves that Smith is the only one who has favoured the rapid fire result, others are just as culpable. Although I’ve not heard him doing the job recently Kemp was even worse than Smith, busting a gut to announce the result even if it was a nose, without having to resort to a photo.
    Goodwill & Wheeler are others.
    What is their agenda? Ego?

I would disagree regarding Felix Wheeler, if anything I would say he is generally the other extreme and is ultra cautious when calling a photograph.

I agree Di is a very good judge and so is Nick Bostock

Viewing 4 posts - 18 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.