The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dave Nevison’s book

Home Forums Horse Racing Dave Nevison’s book

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

It’s taken me a long time to read this piece, but the blank days of this week and last were a good opportunity.
    I go racing 110-120 times a year and punting makes for the majority part of my income.

Immediate Points

1. I have not been able to get a bet of over £50 on with Coral since 2002. I reckon to have won around £12.5k from them in my lifetime. DN gets four-figure bets laid by them. Go figure.

2. In 1992 I started pricing up races to 100% and betting the horses that were significantly bigger than on my tissues. I don’t claim to be any better at it than the next man – I have had some losing years never mind months – but I’m still around. It’s not rocket science though and what alarms me is that someone (Eddie Fremantle) had to point out this method of seeking value to DN. His tissues may be better than mine – but surely this method doesn’t need pointing out? It’s so obvious.

3. He ridicules Barry "The Judge" Court on two occasions in the book. Barry is a familiar figure and a harmless and pleasant fella (as well as being a pretty good paddock judge). I believe he is down on his luck at the moment – and therefore an easy target. In contrast, DN mentions jockeys and trainers that he thinks are crooks – but doesn’t have the balls to name them. I think he should be made to name them to someone at the BHA.

4. Barry Dennis is proabably the best-known bookmaker in the land – yet I can think of 25 layers up and down the country who will lay you a bigger bet. Dennis is just the best at publicising himself. I think DN is the exact replica amongst the pro punting fraternity. I know many pro punters who go about their business quietly – most of them don’t even want to be known as "faces". If DN is doing so well out of it, why does he chase £150 a time work from RUK and write for the Update?

5. DN says that when pro punters disappear from the racecourse they must be skint. I go everywhere by train. Last year my travel expenses came to over £10,000. I haven’t been racing yet this year.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I have not read the book but must agree with your points.

Pros disappearing from the course must be skint is laughable in this exchange era.

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

challenge you to name them taffy

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

:lol:

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Isn’t it clear from Nevison’s book the reason he can get on with firms is because he’s pretty pally with the PR guys from said firms in the press room.

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

There is nothing wrong in Barry D using any publicity, paid or otherwise to gain an increase in his business.
    I remember him years ago as one of the ‘back row fiddlers’

The likes of the Virgin boss Richard Branson has done that from day one.

The Bismarks do get him publicity and although I do not know the percentages of the ones that win they are normally well thought out and dont forget they are normally favourites he is opposing.

With regards to taking massive bets Freddie Williams must be the number one.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I go racing 110-120 times a year and punting makes for the majority part of my income. … last year my travel expenses came to over £10,000. I haven’t been racing yet this year.

Slightly off topic but would punting on Betfair not be more profitable for you? No travel expenses and no racecourse entry fees.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

He doesn’t pay to get in, David.

He charms, or blags, his way in with one of those forged press badges. :wink:

Colin

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

A typical Barry Dennis one line reply with an insult. He did spare us the usual usual accusing posters of hiding behind user names

No need to be a big bookmaker if you are one of the chosen few selected to be included in the corrupt SP system. Easy to play the game, take a few grand from the reps, shorten the odds to the required level and take an earner hedging into Betfair.

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

the ANONYMOUS poster claims 25 bigger layers.

no insult . NAME THEM .easy

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8965

I think Barry’s request for the Welsh Wizard to put up or shut up is fine.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I think Barry’s request for the Welsh Wizard to put up or shut up is fine.

And it would be even finer if BD answered some of the accusations laid against him on this thread! :wink: :lol:

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

yes reet, BD is short on words when presented with the indefensible.

There are at least ten layers in the country as big if not bigger than BD. Most of them choose to conduct their business in a low profile professional manner.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8965

Nothing wrong with being HIGH profile and professional. Is there?

kentdougal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 277

Hi All
    Well I must say I always found his diary in the RFO amusing and entertaining but for the life of me couldn’t see how he made a living betting.Numerous EW bets in the same race plus a complete lack of discipline seem to be a recipe for the poor house! Did his wife kick him BTW

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.