The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cross Country Chase

Home Forums Archive Topics Cross Country Chase

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    beaker
    • Total Posts 31

I wish someone would tell those in charge that the CROSS COUNTRY chase is a boring waste of time, this isnt racing, please just pan it now its a farce.

Who agrees/disagrees?

Beax

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5857

Totally disagree.

Thoroughly enjoy it – much more interesting than the "sand donkeys" at Wolverhampton.:laugh:

Regards – Matron<br>:cool:

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Have to disagree with you here.

IMO the cross country chase makes for a fascinating spectacle and is most certainly preferential to the drudgery of watching the same old beasts run round Southwell/Wolverhampton day in day out, or tiny fields of selling hurdlers plodding round Fakenham or Sedgefield in the mud.<br>I think a valuable cross country chase at the Festival would be a most welcome addition.

beaker
    • Total Posts 31

Well granted it is better than Camel racing (thats AW flat) but only just, ive just never taken too it, not proper NH

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

It definitely makes a change from the normal bog standard races throughout the racing calendar.<br>I’m sure messers Thornton, Marston and Maguire won’t be too impressed getting ten day bans for not pulling up when going the wrong course.They miss Boxing Day as well as the new year prgramme. A little harsh perhaps.

robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

<br>I really don’t understand the bad feeling sand racing gets – it’s as good a quality as the midweek racing on turf. It’s just on a different surface.

Don’t understand why Thornton, Maguire and Marston were banned 10 days. They made a simple mistake, there not exactly throwing a race are they! Marston barely took the wrong course, just ran wide a bit. Thornton went well wide but looked as if he’d got confused…easy mistake to make. They ban people less for riding that could cause injury, this was just a simple mistake.

As for the cross country race. It’s ok, it’s probably, in part, a show to get people to come racing. Don’t really want them everyday and i’m not convinced about the form but they’re decent enough races.

tooting
    • Total Posts 379

I’m on the jockeys’ side for a change here.

I’m amazed that it hasn’t happened before, seeing as I get dizzy just watching it on the telly.

I swear the commentary was something like:

"ho, ho and here we go round and round and round, and its the very slow one leading, the old dogs lie second, third and fourth, those with the squiggles fiddle and flatter, and the one out the back’s looking completely scared, in fact he gets a crack after the second – steady on big fella.

There’s no hanging about, and it’s left hand down, and they’re off on the 9th circuit, only 56 hedges left, and here they come to the bank, they all skid across it OK – oh no the norwegian’s lost his hind legs, ho ho, and look at that, the big fellas dummied the sagebrush and’s heading off to Cleeve Hill…

And here they come down the straight, AP’s poised to challenge, but Ruby’s sitting dizzy, only the hydrangeas to jump….and from the clouds here comes Paula Radcliffe to rub them down in the shadow of the post."        

Photograph, photograph.

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

Y’know I’m really sick of this crap argument about the Cross country race, I cannot for the life of me understand why people really like this stupid and boring attempt at a race, they even always seem to take the wrong course :laugh: ,I can also tell you that there is NO WAY on Earth that this crap race is better than AW racing, I know some of you don’t like AW racing but come on get real "cross country better than the AW? " I can’t have that, maybe some of you can’t really work out how to pick winners on the AW and that’s what annoys you?

I’m absolutely flying on the AW and always feel confident of a winner or three every meeting – six winners from eight races at Wolverhampton today, but even if I don’t get winners on the AW it’s still more exciting than horses being put through a crazy test in the cross country shambles!

Beax you should stick to your original thoughts as you are spot on with your "boring waste of time" and no-one can tell me any different, I suppose it’s each to their own though eh?

<br>rant over and out! :angry:  

Tete Rouge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 119

I’d rather have the cross country any day – but only because I can’t stand the AW.

Horses for courses, and all that ……

beaker
    • Total Posts 31

WTF is a caveat?

Slippy Blue
    • Total Posts 43

Beaker and Jim , I don`t see what your problem is , The Quads ran the course well and finished strongly to win 13K , the connections are probably still partying now .<br>A placepot race only for me but a few backed the winner in my local shop and they were well pleased .<br>You can stick all weather up your a*** as far as I`m concerned . A novelty race yes but boring no .<br>Horses and jockeys risking life and limb around Cheltenham is not boring and never will be .

Caveat = warning , thanks to Mr. Cotrell for being a good Latin teacher , circa 1979 , R.I.P. Mr. Cotrell.

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

For a start I don’t watch racing on TV unless I really have to, I watch all my racing in my local bookies, I can’t have all that crap channel 4 have to offer and the attheraces lunchtime programme is shocking to say the least… (IMO) ;)

I didn’t even know there was a Des and Mel programmme so it looks like you know more about that particular show than me Ian :)

Slippy, my problem is this – I can’t see what the cross country races have to offer, horses going up and down embankments, water jumps, open ditches, wooden gates, small hedges marking out the course, jockey’s taking the wrong course, is that enough? I wonder if you’ll still have the same view if and when we get a full meeting of these bulls**t
    races, please take time out to think of the horse, don’t they have to pt up with enough in normal NH races than be asked to compete in this rubbish?

Tony, correct! If I don’t like something I don’t watch therefor I didn’t watch all of the cross country race, I’ll tell you this; everyone and I mean everyone in my local can’t stand the site of these races and some of them haven’t even got an interest in racing as a whole, they are simply gamblers and would bet on anything and even they hate these races, I know it’s each to their own but if I had my way punters wouldn’t see these races again – ever!

the AW racing was poor quality racing when it started but it has grown and will continue to grow, top trainers and top jockeys are appearing more and more each meeting, Lingfield especially with the polytrack has attracted some very promising animals.

NH racing ISN’T boring, AW flat racing ISN’T boring, but cross country racing IS and it is NOT needed, it doesn’t enhance racing!

I’m only glad we don’t see theses races everyday!:crossfingers:

I’ve got to laugh at you Tony when you say "sand donkeys" :laugh: what a silly thing to say for one who appears to be interested in horseracing!

There’s people more important than me that don’t like cross country races ;)

"Oh whats going on here they appeared to have taken the wrong course, well would you believe it?" :laugh:

Spook
    • Total Posts 15

Remember alot of NH horses come from hunting, where they face a different variety of obstables. The Quads is a good example of a horse who can show good form because these types of races are more interesting for the horse. I’m with Ian here – although I am more of a jumps fan – the variety of racing there is covers everyones tastes. There are never going to be loads of xcountry races as they are intended to be unique but the ones they show are a great spectacle.

sacha
    • Total Posts 55

I agree – great race. A good spectacle and I’m all for it

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5857

Jim, I was only "jesting" when I called the AW "sand donkeys"!

I just knew it would bring you "out of the woodwork" pdq!

I certainly don’t mind the AW – but, my preference is for the NH.  

Be lucky today.

Regards – Matron<br>:cool:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.