The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

cowardly bookmakers

Home Forums Horse Racing cowardly bookmakers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jonny33
    • Total Posts 51

whilst at newcastle races on bank holiday monday i saw a man go to put £400 on pheonix tower @ 8-11 with the in house betting shop run by totesport, imagine his surprise and mine when he was told he could only have £200 at 8-11 and the rest at sp, hardly a big liability.<br>surely totesport should be standing bets like that, although i know they are not alone in this practice.<br>

PerpetualPerpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

I’m surprised they wouldn’t lay that in the shop

I was at Cheltenham this year & tried to get £400 on Ouninpohja @ 11/2 (freely available in the ring) with a 2nd line Tatts bookie. He told me to **** off & who did I think he was Ladbrokes! Yet the guy on the pitch next door took my cash with pleaseure. Makes you wonder why he bothered forking out for a cheltenham pitch & all the associated expenses if he didn’t want to lay a bet??

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

I was at Cheltenham this year & tried to get £400 on Ouninpohja @ 11/2 (freely available in the ring) with a 2nd line Tatts bookie. He told me to **** off & who did I think he was Ladbrokes! Yet the guy on the pitch next door took my cash with pleaseure. Makes you wonder why he bothered forking out for a cheltenham pitch & all the associated expenses if he didn’t want to lay a bet??

<br>To be fair, if I was a bookmaker, I wouldn’t be wanting to lay 11-2 shots in 30-runner end-of-season hugely-competitive handicap hurdles either.

Mike

PerpetualPerpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

If I was a bookie that’s exactly the sort of bet I’d want to be taking

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Perpetual

Have you read many of betlarge’s posts?

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

I really am the lowest form of wit.

Mike

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Quote: from betlarge on 5:53 pm on May 12, 2007[br]I really am the lowest form of wit.

Mike

Betlarge, I think it’s unfair to bring TRF’s finest legal brain into this.

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Betlarge, I think it’s unfair to bring TRF’s finest legal brain into this.

<br>DJ, didn’t you used to be the warm-up for Max Miller?

The Palladium in ’36 wasn’t it?

Mike

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

It’s all a bit crap really. It’s like your local Wetherspoons advertising beer at 99p a pint but, when you ask for four, they say "sorry, you can have a half but the rest will cost you £2.99 a pint". If you don’t want to go 11-1, why take out full page adverts in the racing press offering horse x at 11-1? Simply say "we’ll lay it to lose a tenner at 11-1, after that it’s 6-4".

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

It’s all a bit crap really. It’s like your local Wetherspoons advertising beer at 99p a pint but, when you ask for four, they say "sorry, you can have a half but the rest will cost you £2.99 a pint".

Mounty

a) Are you a feckin’ dipsomaniac?

and

b) You don’t half drink in some quality joints.

Mike

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

For the uninitiated (including me until five minutes ago): "A dipsomaniac is a person with an uncontrollable craving for alcohol, especially alcoholic liquors. It differs from alcoholism in that it is an uncontrollable periodic lust for alcohol, with, in the interim, no desire for alcoholic beverages. "Dipsomania" is usually thought of as a dated term."

In answer to point b), my hand is forced, my local Wetherspoons is the only place open at 9.30am.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.