The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

County Cricket

Home Forums General Sports County Cricket

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

77-8 now, I notice, following a magnificent 23-run stand for the eighth wicket. Looks like Mr Pattinson wanted to prove a point, didn’t he, sharing seven of those victims with Andre Adams.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31688

106 all-out, watch Notts rack up 500+ now although Caddick has struck in reply 8-1.

Pattinson is a great county bowler judging by his domestic performances, never to be seen again in an England shirt though thank god, fingers crossed and all that.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 31688

Not just Somerset that cant bat, Durham 146 all-out and 77-5 second innings vs Kent 77 all-out. not good for bonus batting points.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Will the Pitch Inspectorate be having a look, do you think?

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31688

Will the Pitch Inspectorate be having a look, do you think?

gc

Yes here’s a piece from sporting life cricket news –it had been decided overnight to convene a pitch panel following the fall of 15 wickets in two sessions on the first day at Durham, and Phil Sharpe was joined by fellow pitch liaison officer David Hughes and ECB’s chief pitches advisor Chris Wood.

Looking forward to the result of that one.

As for Somerset –England and Wales cricket board pitch inspector John Jameson made it clear there was no question of him reporting the pitch, reasoning swing and some poor batting had accounted for many of the wickets.

Thank you Mr Jameson for not mentioning the wicket was dark green just like the snooker table in my local.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31688

Durham passed the pitch inspection much to the disgust of Kent skipper Rob Key who branded the panel ‘the muppet show’ and said it was a disgrace that Durham were not docked some points.

Whilst i agree with Mr Key i think he wants to try batting in my back garden, to call it uneven would be an understatement even my stepson has ask father Christmas for a heavy roller this year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

There might just be some previous between Durham and Kent where fit and proper cricket-playing conditions are concerned.

In the last Championship match of 1995, the two teams clashed at Darlington, with the home team needing a win to avoid the wooden spoon (this was still just about the era of one division). Kent thought they’d done enough well into the final session of the match to hold out for the draw when the light started to fail with about six wickets down, but despite baying for them to do so the umpires refused to offer the light.

This was the cue for their tail to be cleared up by the odd combination of James Boiling (former Surrey and England A off-spinner who was rather more famed for his eccentricity than his bowling prowess at Durham) and the then team captain David Boon (yes, that one), who nipped out the final four wickets with the gentlest offies you’ve ever seen, in near-total darkness.

This was still three years before Key made his first-class debut for Kent, and it’s not as if the loss pushed them to the foot of the table (I think Notts finished last in Durham’s stead), but they were certainly very, and openly, browned off about the whole affair for quite some time after that.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Participant
    • Total Posts 31688

Just seen the back end of the Hampshire-Sussex Pro 40 match on sky and i think Hants have found a replacement for Warne/Udal in the spin department with Imran Tahir very impressive spinning the ball both ways coinciding with a few victory’s of late.

I would have a moan about the weather but seeing how i was rain dancing on Saturday when Notts looked like beating Somerset and it worked I’ll just take the rough with the smooth.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

That could be just the opportunity Tahir needs to establish himself with a county, then, having previously found himself down the spinners’ pecking order at both Yorkshire and most recently Middlesex. At 29 he’s no Spring chicken, mind, so let’s see how he goes on from here.

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 31688

Middlesex – Hampshire Pro40 tomorrow

Going for the Hants spin wizard Imran Tahir to be leading wicket taker in this one for the visitors if i can find some odds!

Middlesex are strong in the spin department with Udal and Kartik in their ranks and hopefully the Lords pitch will benefit the slower bowlers.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Sad to see Hick retire. remember him drinking quietly and shyly in the lords tavern when he was about 18

He should be remebered as a fine player rather than a test failure (not the first talent to stutter in that arena). Always wonderful to watch

Participant
    • Total Posts 31688

Completely agree Clive

Hick will be missed by everyone i would imagine apart from the opposing bowlers quite possibly.

A great loyal servant for Worcestershire with an incredible county batting average, will never forget the 405 he made at Taunton.

Also a mention for Mushtaq Ahmed who also retired recently after injury, leading wicket taker in the championship for the past five season’s with two of those taking over 100 wickets i believe.

The game will be slightly poorer for their absent’s i’m sure.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Sad to see Hick retire. remember him drinking quietly and shyly in the lords tavern when he was about 18

He should be remebered as a fine player rather than a test failure (not the first talent to stutter in that arena). Always wonderful to watch

There’s one line of thought, expounded already on one editorial piece on the BBC’s cricket website, that Hick never recovered fully at international level from having Ray Illingworth get into his head and undermine his confidence from the get-go. Likely?

I presume his retirement at 42 hands over the position of oldest player on the county circuit to someone else now – I think Stuart Law and Andy Caddick (the former one month older) will both turn 40 this autumn, with neither having hinted they’re about to jack it in to the best of my knowledge.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Participant
    • Total Posts 31688

Caddick has committed himself to at least another year with Somerset, the bloke has so much self belief he still thinks he’s the best county bowler on the circuit and every time the phone rings he thinks it’s an England recall on the horizon.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5960

It’s a reflection of the times when 40 is regarded as ‘old’ for a professional cricketer. A combination of too much cricket and better pay than in the past perhaps.

Jack Hobbs hit a century of centuries after passing 40

Shame Hick is going, a wonderful batsmen to watch on the county circuit.

For the stats buff it would have been nice to see him eclipse Geoff Boycott’s modern-day record of 151 first-class centuries

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Also a mention for Mushtaq Ahmed who also retired recently

Yes. Smashing player

True Gray. Illingworth was a woeful man manager of the test team (in contrast with his captaincy by all accounts…which is odd). Frankly i think the pig headedness that seemingly affilcts so many yorkshireman got the better of him. Almost as if he had to live up to a lazy "no nonsense" stereotype. His bias against "southern" players was also a disgrace. Most significantly Fraser

But cant completely absolve Hick of responsibility. There was the not so unusual personailty trait that was more comfortable as big fish in small pool than other way round. Its not a flaw…but just the way he was

Maybe it was all too easy for his too quickly and he also had to wait just that bit too long for his test debut

On another subject, does anyone else feel like smashing the radio against the wall when Gough’s cricket show comes on? Radio five used to do quite decent shows with Agnew and Gower, but this egocentric (its all ME ME ME isnt it?) back slapping matey drivel chruned out every Thursday is a complete waste of airtime

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

every time the phone rings he thinks it’s an England recall on the horizon.

Pavlov’s Cricketer, perhaps? 8)

gc

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 200 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.