The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Contact Lenses

Home Forums Lounge Contact Lenses

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

Just a question about acquiring contact lenses: I get mine from my opticians, and for three months’ worth of 2 weekly Acuve lenses I pay £66 (including two/three bottles of solution).

I think it’s a rip-off. When I was out in America most of my housemates were short sighted sods like myself…in fact nearly all my friends are short sighted…and a lot of them ordered their contacts online and got them really cheaply.

So is there a good reliable place online in the UK I can buy my contact lenses from? I can’t abide wearing my glasses in public as it makes me look like a total geek, and I try and hide my inner geek whenever possible :wink:

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

M…like you I started by getting my contact lens by mail order via the Opticians, I think I paid £28 a month (12 month contract). However, I now get them from Asda for £15 a month.

In answer to your question, I think the problem you may have ordering lenses online in this country is that you have to have a vaild prescription which is no less than two years old. And, unless a supplier has made provision for you to prove that to them it would be illegal to sell them to you. Good luck anyway as I’m sure no matter how thick the lens might be you should able to get them cheaper.

Ps. If you do try Asda you will have to pay for an intial sight test. £20 I think.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Go with the geek! It works for me.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4723

Geeks of the world unite!

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Anyone on here brave enough for Laser Surgery? I know I’m not!

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Go with the geek! It works for me.

Yayyyyyyyyyyy geeks are good people really – contacts here are quite cheap, my sister got a 3 year supply when she was over here!!!!!!!!
    Let’s hope her eyesight doesn’t change! :lol:

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Anyone on here brave enough for Laser Surgery? I know I’m not!

I keep thinking about it – but I have heard some horror stories! I sort of figure now if people don’t like me because I a) trip over things a lot, or b) where geeky glasses – well that’s their loss!!! :lol:

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

I’ve never seriously considered laser surgery as I’m a wimp and contacts work well enough for me. Added to that is the tremendous cost – I’ll wait till I’ve married a nice rich man before I get him to pay for surgery :wink:

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

When you find him can you check first to see if he has an eligible brother? :lol: ,

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

…get them from boots and use the advantage points to buy nice treats to make you smile!!!

i’ve got a friend who buys them off the internet, but she’s on holiday, I’ll ask where she gets them from when she gets back…

Kebab
    • Total Posts 24

Go to your doctor’s, act the goat, and convince him that you are either an alcoholic or a drug addict.

Hey presto ! , free contact lenses ( and a whole lot more besides).

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

I can’t abide wearing my glasses in public as it makes me look like a total geek,

…so that’s asylum seekers, single mothers, dole scroungers, Nick Luck, leftie pinkoes and now geeks.

Is there anyone left on the planet you actually like? :lol:

Definitely retain the specs and embrace them more, dagnabbit. As John Hegley wrote – “glad to wear glasses, glad to have ears”.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

I think nowdays with the wide range of glasses that are available surely geekiness should be a think of the past (unless like Corm you’ve kept your blue (pink for girls/women) NHS ones.) In fact I know one person who wears really thick black rimmed glasses and she looks fantastic in them, more so in fact than when she wears contacts.

Personally, it depends on what I’m doing as to whether I choose to wear glasses or contacts, but then I’ve always looked good on the dancefloor.

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

You forgot Nick Robinson’s trademark black-rimmed specs. Awful.

Nah, graysons – I don’t like too many people although geeks are more tolerable than the others you named. At least they can do things like fix computers etc. :)

Kebab
    • Total Posts 24

removed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.