The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Close Bros Handicap Chase 2021

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Close Bros Handicap Chase 2021

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

Formerly The Racing Post Chase….

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/28/kempton/2021-02-27/775756

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/close-brothers-handicap-chase/winner

The race has obviously declined a bit the last few years, but this years entries give hope for a decent field. Definitely the strongest entry for years.

I’ve already bet one here, and that’s Jerrysback. He’s market leader, but I think he deserves to be. I really liked him two years back, but he’s been seen once since then, and that was his comeback last time, and it was a cracker behind Dashel Drasher. He’ll surely build on that at some point this year, and I fancy him to go really well. Don’t necessarily buy into the “bounce” factor, but I do once I’ve bet one like him.

One who looks really big is the Tizzard trained Sizing at Midnight. He’d have won The Badger Ales but for tipping up close home, and on that evidence, he still looks well treated. I’ve followed him since his early days, but he was mainly average. This year though, he’s looked a different animal, and this is perfect for him. Signs of a yard revival recently, and at 20’s, I’ll almost certainly back him Antepost.

Erick Le Rouge is harder to make a case for. I bet him here last time, and I was very confident, but he was easily swept aside, a big disappointment. I just think though, that he’s worth another chance, and at a track he likes, I’d give him some sort of chance.

Former “Whitbread” winner, Talkischeap, is probably high enough in the weights, but he looked great in a jumpers bumper last week, and I think he’s primed for a big run somewhere. I think he’s a decent outsider for Aintree, but before then, I can see him running well here, or possibly The Ultima at Cheltenham. One to note.

That’s the four who jump out right now, but it really is a strong entry, and there’s plenty of good animals in there.

I’ve took 10’s for Jerrysback, but even though a fortnight away, I’m seriously considering adding Sizing at Midnight as an Antepost as well.

Jerrysback 10’s

Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 499

Two outsiders for me at this. Ibis Du Rheu at 25-1, and Gold Present at 33-1, but I’ll have another look before I actually have a bet.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

Jerrysback heading to Ascot instead, but still very interested in the other trio.

I wouldn’t be put off one of them at the five day stage, and happy to have another Antepost then.

It’ll almost certainly be Talkischeap, but I’ll hold off until then, which is annoying as he looks as if he’s getting a few quid his way just now at the 16’s.

FrankieMac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 168

I quite fancy Slate House for this but think it would need to cut up drastically for me to bet him – not sure he likes big fields

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

He’d be my pick Frankie if neither of my pair makes it, but I suppose if both of these fail to trap, it would maybe make more sense to sit it out.

After the early bet on Jerrysback, it’s as planned, and going with Talkischeap and Erick Le Rouge.

I’m fairly confident about this pair, though in hindsight I thought Jerrysback would be perfect for it, and he was brutal on Saturday.

Talkischeap just looked in good heart the other week, and I’d imagine that’s put him spot on. The Williams yard are reasonable at laying one out, and this looks like it could be a plan. I bet him last time, and he wasn’t very good, but that runs got 3lbs shaved off him. I’m confident he can reverse that.

Erick Le Rouge 25’s
    Talkischeap 14’s

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2691

Cap Du Nord 5-1 ew 4 places.

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8079

I’ve long been a fan of Slate House and always thought there was a big
    one in him. Nearly broke my heart when coming down in the Betvictor Gold
    Cup over a year back when looking like he had the race at his mercy. He did
    get some consolation a month later over c/d in the Kauto Star Nov Ch but
    followed it up with a couple of shockers at Cheltenham last year.
    He had his wind done in November, and looked like his old self at Wincanton
    last month. He travelled really well but looked like he was tiring when he
    made a complete mess at the last and lost any chance. Nonetheless it was
    an encouraging run and he should be the better for it. I think the 12s is
    decent value and I could see him going off at half those odds on Saturday.

Slate House 12/1 Skybet

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

Both of mine made it so far, but I’m really looking to lay off Talkischeap, as I’ve cooled on him a bit for this, and he’ll be a saver only now. Can see him maybe being better for Cheltenham. I won’t complain if he wins though, and I’ll stick with the small Antepost on him.

Main reason for this is that I’m very keen on Black Corton now, and I can see him getting very competitive with this lot, off of top weight. If back to his best, he’s good enough to carry it. Was coming round to this way of thinking last night, and I’d assumed he’d shorten fairly quickly if declared, but he’s holding ok. I’ll take the 12’s just now, but I’d be happy to have more on if he went bigger.

I haven’t cooled on Erick Le Rouge, and I still think he’s a very interesting outsider if you ignore his last run. I’m definitely having a bigger bet on him too, now that he’s declared. I’m hoping he doesn’t go bigger than 25’s, but I’ll probably take the bigger odds of I see them.

Black Corton 12’s
    Erick Le Rouge 25’s

Talkischeap (saver 14’s)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.