The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Home Forums Horse Racing Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 641 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 89

Having found (most) colours for the championship race winners at Cheltenham – I thought I would investigate some of the other races, which is not quite so easy.

Particularly (all there will be more) the Supreme Novice’s – anybody any idea on the colours of Robert Leask, owner of Harry Hastings in 1985? I found a good print

http://www.harlequinfineart.co.uk/index … ion_Prints

but not sure which horse is Harry!! Racing Post confirms him to be bay, so presumably the yellow and red colours in the middle. Can anybody confirm? What is the cap configuration?

The Irish dominated this race in the early 80s (’77-’83 in fact) and I’m missing them as well!

• Total Posts 15015

Harry Hastings is definitely the yellow/red silks, if memory serves me, it was a plain yellow cap.

• Total Posts 89

Thanks VtC, back to the Irish ones now then!!!!

• Total Posts 15015

I’m pretty sure Buck House was white, light blue stars, and a red cap. Miller Hill was Dark Blue and white if I recall, but can’t remember the configuration.

Don’t know if I’m talking rubbish, but was Hartstown owned by the (I think, Tullochs) who also had Pollardstown and Lean ar Aghaidh. Apologies if I’m way off the mark with that one.

Stranfield I don’t know, I can remember Slaney Idol, but cannot remember the colours for the life of me.

• Total Posts 89

Thanks VtC

you’re spot on with Buck House – have just found Miller Hill – Dark Blue, grey chevrons and slvs, dark blue armlets, dark blue cap;

Hartstown was actually owned by the McGowans (specifically J McGowan)who I believe also had Davy Lad – not sure if the colours were exactly the same though as Davy Lad was in Mrs McGowan’s name.

One’s I need now are:

Stranfield – D Devlin
    Mac’s Chariot – Mr A Jordan
    Noble Life – M Gallagher
    King Pele – J Richardson (not Irish – trained by Gavin Pritchard Gordon)

• Total Posts 15015

no worries ile, I take it you’ll know Davy Lads colours if it was them, which i think were brown with white checks.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Thanks Slewman, as always, that explains a lot.

I have drawn a blank on IDB’s 4 jumping ones – there are a number of J Richardson’s the the 1973 B&H book but fathoming which one is correct is anybody’s guess. Only one of them appears in the 1970 Directory of the Turf so maybe that was the only really active one?

Anyway, I have a query going back to that great find "Raciana". A number of old silks are described as for e.g. duke of bedford’s "purple with white stripe"! I am guessing that this actually means "purple and white stripes" (a la Precocious, Bluebook etc"? Also, in the absence of a cap, is it safest to assume the cap colour is also priple and white stripes?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Thanks Slewman, as always, that explains a lot.

I have drawn a blank on IDB’s 4 jumping ones – there are a number of J Richardson’s the the 1973 B&H book but fathoming which one is correct is anybody’s guess. Only one of them appears in the 1970 Directory of the Turf so maybe that was the only really active one?

Anyway, I have a query going back to that great find "Raciana". A number of old silks are described as for e.g. duke of bedford’s "purple with white stripe"! I am guessing that this actually means "purple and white stripes" (a la Precocious, Bluebook etc"? Also, in the absence of a cap, is it safest to assume the cap colour is also priple and white stripes?

"White Stripe" refers to a single, broad, vertical stripe on the body only.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Thanks Rory, that was the conclusion I had originally arrived at as well. However if we take Diomed of Charles Bunbury’s as an example, all the visual pictorial evidence suggests a jacket coloured "pink and/with white stripes" (plural), yet Raciana stats "pink and white stripe" similar to the Bedford colours (purple with white stripe). I am not sure if "with stripe" as opposed to "and stripe" is the key here, however on most (if not all) the cases similar to this where contemporary paintings are available, stripes as opposed to a single stripe appears to tbe what ended up on the jackets.

I hope this makes some sense btw!

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hi All , I’m struggling to make headway with those NH ones but still searching.

As for the question of stripe/stripes – looking at all the old paintings available from late 1700’s to early 1800’s , they all look to be "stripes" as we’d know them today. Can’t recall seeing any rider with a single wide stripe. May be wrong but I’d be willing to bet ( a small amount ) that the single stripe came much later when there became a need for more options or variations to be available as the number of owners increased.

As for caps , Eleanor , one of Bunbury’s , has a striped cap yet I’ve a picture of Diomed where the cap is black. I’m pretty sure that when colours first had to be declared all caps were black – whether this was a link to the hunting field is a possibility – or may be rubbish.

Anyway , having solved nothing I’ll get off the fence and search some more.

Cheers

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Isinglass

I think you are spot on re: the stripes. I found another one yesterday. Plenipotentiary, 1834 Derby winner – Racianna states Mr S Batson’s colours to be "Crimson, White Stripe, Black Cap", however the following link clearly shows stripes.

http://www.realism-in-art.org/’Plenipot … -1834.html

On a slightly different tangent, raciana has severaly silks for Lord Egremont (owned 5 Derby winners between 1782 and 1826. However a while back the card for the 1827 Derby appeared on EBay and had his colours down as simply Dark Blue for his runner that year Wanderer (a set not attributed to Egremont in Raciana at any stage).

ANy ideas as to why this apparent inconsistency appears?

Cheers

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Hi all,

I have stumbled on an ommission in my Epsom Derby lists – 1898 Jeddah owned by James Larnach. Have found a b&w photo here:

http://www.sportspages.com/horse_racing … 491?search

Shocking ommission on my part but must have kept overlooking it in the hope it would turn up.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Jeddah – I’ve got Light Blue Brown striped sleeves Light Blue cap.

go and search on google image – vanity fair jockey madden

the stripes look black but as I can’t remember where I got the "brown" from I’m more than happy to be corrected.

on a Salmon & Gluckstein cigarette card the colours are shown as light blue with brown ( definitely this time ) "hoops" on the sleeves. One currently on sale on E-bay search for jockey salmon within collectables section

all pictures of Jeddah I’ve seen have stripes so maybe I’ve mixed and matched a bit subconciously !

Cheers
    I.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Thanks Isinglass.

I agree the first cartoon definitely looks black stripes.

Also agreed it definitely is stripes as the link I posted is to a photo rather than a painting/caricature so that can be taken to be the more accurate.

On a slightly different tack, I noticed today at Southwell in the 3.25 Pink Sari carried colours that seem to be identical to those carried to victory by Spaniel the 1831 Derby. Coincidentally the latter was owned by Viscount Lowther and Pink Sari by "Lowther racing" – more than a coincidence I fancy, and a rather nice nod to the spoerts history.

http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/John-Fre … -1831.html

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Thanks Rory, that was the conclusion I had originally arrived at as well. However if we take Diomed of Charles Bunbury’s as an example, all the visual pictorial evidence suggests a jacket coloured "pink and/with white stripes" (plural), yet Raciana stats "pink and white stripe" similar to the Bedford colours (purple with white stripe). I am not sure if "with stripe" as opposed to "and stripe" is the key here, however on most (if not all) the cases similar to this where contemporary paintings are available, stripes as opposed to a single stripe appears to tbe what ended up on the jackets.

I hope this makes some sense btw!

It does – think you’re right that "and" is the key word.

• Total Posts 199

Hello, all.
    Lucky to find the 1974 Epsom Derby racecard with the colours for Nonoalco. Here’s the site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stujenner/5171729974/#/

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

amazing how people stumble across information on the internet.

patience rewarded – thanks

I.

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 641 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.