The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Classic Champion Hurdle 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Classic Champion Hurdle 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 500 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Also think he would of won the supreme, although I piled into him after his Navan win, didnt really think of the supremes until after i’d backed him.
    Was angling the question more towards people who have since said the race itself was one of the worst.

Thanks for your thoughts anyway, really do think this race is alot more interesting than previous years purely because the amount of horses being written off. (seems to be one every week)
    You just know one of them will be bang on come the big day.

Where’s Osana btw?, he might just be a horse who peaked too early last year.

I’ll stop now before I start making a case for everything in the race, dont want it to sound like that, Snap Tie is my only loser in that race……. I think one loser per race is enough! :roll:

• Total Posts 2184

Was angling the question more towards people who have since said the race itself was one of the worst.

They’re probably just bitter after steaming into Detroit City! :wink:

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Andrew,

Re: your question on the ground, you can judge for yourself by going to the Racing Post site and looking up the results for the two days in question (13/3/07 and 11/3/08 respectively). It is possible to get all the times for a card up on one screen for convenience.

Nothing official, but given the engagements he’s missed and the way some Pipe runners were going late last year, I’d hazard a guess that he’s been ill.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

He may have been a baby in the Supreme – thats the reason for the weight advantage he had, and couldn’t take advantage of. Still a false favourite for me.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I could sort of agree PC, IMO he deserves to be favorite, as has shown the best form over two miles this season of any of the contenders, and if the ground was good on the day, I would have him down as an odds on shot.

But with the ground IMO unlikely to be good, and the pace likely to be hectic, I couldnt really have him as short as he is and he wouldnt be my personal favorite to win.

The way I see it, if the ground isnt good, then binoculars position in the market, coupled with the fact that he looks like banker material to so many, means that there is always going to be ample value when looking at horses actually suited to conditions on the day.

Binocular is a special horse, but not necessarily for the conditions I expect he’ll face come march IMO, and despite having backed him at much bigger odds, he looks to be a sitting duck in the betting as the market stands.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

There will be three Binocular’s in the Champion Hurdle……….my fellow and the two pair Ruby and Barry G will need to try and see which way he went :lol:

I always thought blinkers looked much better strapped to a horses head rather than human ass :twisted: :wink:

Sorry Fists, just been reading the Arkle forum and couldnt resist a dig. Why so many bad feelings flying around, thought horse racing was supposed to be fun?

Gawd knows mate I love racing I just don’t suffer fools gladlyandhate people who don’t know me getting personal………love people with a sense of humour though so no worries :wink:

As far as Sublimity is concerend I must be he biggest knocker but only whan it comes to the Champion Hurdle as he is a grand horse when conditions suit witha really good turn of foot.

At the risk of repeating myself there are a few reasons why I think victory at Cheltenham is now out of the question.

When he won the Champion Hurdle he put his turn of foot to good use but when he hit the hill he virtually stopped.

I watched all of Hardy Eustaces CH runs again and again and something stood out like a sore thumb.

When Sublimity won the CH HE’s jockey, unlike in previous years when Hardy Eustace never really had to be got at until 2 out, he washard at work from 4 out just to keep the horse going and by the las the was absolutely dead on his feet…….it took very little for Sublimity to take the lead off him but the himself came to the end if his tether and barely got up the hill. Ihonestly believe had he met Hardy Eustace a year earlier both he and Brave Inca the old horse would have outstayed him just as easily as they did the rest.

It didn’t stop there for me I looked backeven further to Noland’s race when Sublimity never got up the hill that day either. A couple of people said he got bumped but it was hardly noticable and sure as hell never caused him to be beaten as far as he was.

In last years Champion Hurdle nothing was going any better than Sublimity at the the top of the hill….when Katchit went he came there cruising and looked a huge threat and to many the likely winner. As soon as they jumped the last andhe hit the rising ground he like before stopped to nothing and ended up being run out of the 3 by Punjabi.

There were many stories going about on here about Sublimity last year most of which were pulled out of a hat. I was told his trainer was confident he had him spot despite an early set back on others say he wasn’t.

This year there can be no such excuse taking it the race is run as a normal CH and nothing untoward happens.

There is no such a thing as can’t win that’s for sure.

Sublimity seemed to appreciate the very strong gallop last year but paid the price at the end of the racewhen his stamina ran out. The only way I could see him winning is if Osana didn’t run and Rippling Ring sets a slower pace than is expected. If Sublimity settled and it came down to a sprint and he could put his excellent tun of foot to better use he could just do a Sea Pigeon and snatch it. That howeverisveryunlikelyasmost Champion Hurdles the pace is horrendous and remains so to very late in the race .

Good luck though Sublimity could at the end of the day prove my theory to be totally wrong, I just wouldn’t like to bet on it.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Andrew,

Re: your question on the ground, you can judge for yourself by going to the Racing Post site and looking up the results for the two days in question (13/3/07 and 11/3/08 respectively). It is possible to get all the times for a card up on one screen for convenience.

Nothing official, but given the engagements he’s missed and the way some Pipe runners were going late last year, I’d hazard a guess that he’s been ill.

Could be the case Friggo but The Pipes are the shrewdest trainers on the planet and I think Andrew has hit the nail right on the head.

I doubt if they knew they had a CH horse on their hand searly last season.

When you compare what Alan King was doing early doors with Katchit to what David Pipe was doing it tells a tale.

That gives good reason to think Osana’s performance was affected by having been too fit a bit too early.

Another factor we should take into consideration is the high winds at the time of the race which don’t do front runners any favours.

Many posters have reservations about Binocular getting up the hill and surely if any horse is going to take the sting out of his tail it will be this one.

If he turns up 100% and fresh, something the Pipes are geniuses at, he surely must be a huge danger to all. I don’t know if he can beat Binocular but he could easlily reverse form with Katchit.

There are so many if’s and buts about this race that any one of 6 could win it. Sure I think Binocular will win but no way on earth will I be surprised if he is beaten and Osana is the one to do it.

Great race in prospect despite many horses looking like they are out of form…as the guy on the telly used to say "It’ll be alright on the night" :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Another factor we should take into consideration is the high winds at the time of the race which don’t do front runners any favours.

That was to be my next point, seems a more likely reason for the races being slower than the year before, I just cant accept the ground itself was riding slower last year than when Sublimity won it.

I was at Champion Hurdle day last year and the wind was the most ferocious I’ve experienced…… I would of got up the cheltenham hill if the wind was blowing the right way. (Sadly it wasnt and got blown into the guiness village instead… :lol: )

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Fist,

I’m basing my assertion about Osana on the complete U-turn undertaken by David Pipe regarding his run in the Boylesports (he had absolutely no reason to deviate from the plan and he held it until the week of the race), coupled with the poor stable form at the time which led to the disappointing runs of the likes of Ashkazar and Our Vic (both of whom shaped as though all wasn’t well IMO).
    If you’re willing to place that much faith in the ability and word of David Pipe then that’s your prerogative, though I’m just a little more cautious with taking what some of these trainers say as gospel. :wink:

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I don’t doubt for a minute you are correct about the yards form. If he felt they weren’t right he may well have decided he didn’t wan’t to risk him.
    Could be the horse has something else wrong with him but with most of these high profile horses when something is ado it leaks out (ED last year)

However, how they do it I don’t kow but the Pipe yard is probably the quitest yard in the country on that score..very little seems to filter out….get more out of a sober free mason than you would out of them :lol:

Total guess work on my part Friggo

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

That was to be my next point, seems a more likely reason for the races being slower than the year before, I just cant accept the ground itself was riding slower last year than when Sublimity won it.

I was at Champion Hurdle day last year and the wind was the most ferocious I’ve experienced…… I would of got up the cheltenham hill if the wind was blowing the right way. (Sadly it wasnt and got blown into the guiness village instead… :lol: )

Worth noting that prominent runners did much better than hold-up performers throughout the week. I won’t speculate on the reasons for this, but it’s there in the form book.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

I’m going to have a very small bet on River Liane ew at a huge price and Snap Tie now that his price has gone out.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Someone should nail one of your feet to the ground Mo. Then you can only walk round in circles and not do any damage to yourself :lol:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

well, it’s a good job they didn’t do that to me the year I backed Sublimity at 80/1 Mr Fist..when you only have 50 pence each way you have to get a good price y’know!!!

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

No answer to that :oops: …….You got me stumped there mate :wink:

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Osana entered-up in the old Agfa at the weekend, with Paddy Brennan likely to be offered the ride.

If he is back to his best, Osana will have a major chance in the Champion Hurdle – especially if connections have Brennan in the plate, rather than Scudamore.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Totally agree Grassy.
    Might well have won last year, had TS made more use of his lead, rather than waiting for the others to come to him.

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 500 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.