The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

class5&6 races

Home Forums Horse Racing class5&6 races

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    doublethetrouble
    • Total Posts 233

i just wonder if any of the forum member’s just bet on class5&6 races, and if so why .i have found that i have a much higher ratio of winner’s and place horses in this class, it is based on a system that i have had for some time and i devised myself , and i only bet with betfair,

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I think you’ll probably find that it’s a NO from everybody .. I can’t imagine a logical reason for just betting on races that are class 5 or 6 .. however, I have been known to be wrong from time to time ..

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I imagine that most people on here would agree with me that class 5/6 handicaps, claimers, sellers etc are very hard to work out because you are dealing with poor quality horses with unreliable form.

However I have made money in the past backing in poor quality maiden races in this class – often where you can narrow down the possible winners very quickly and often get some each-way value.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

I think you’ll probably find that it’s a NO from everybody .. I can’t imagine a logical reason for just betting on races that are class 5 or 6 ..

If your betting in a way that’s different to most people then your well on the way doublethetrouble. Betting selectively on this class of racing would be brain damage, but nothing wrong with a volume approach for basement class racing imo.

The Eye Of Sauron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Could I propose an honourable exception in the form of Hunter Chases, almost all of which are class 5 or 6.

Very profitable if you get a handle of the PTP form and the stables and jockeys. Bookies hate them, as a rule, which has to be a good indicator.

tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

I don’t bet JUST on class 5 and 6 but I do bet in this grade, no problem with it, depends how you race read I guess, sounds like you’re having some success with it so keep at it.

doublethetrouble
    • Total Posts 233

thank’s guy’s for your reply.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29194

I rarely bet in class 5 and 6. Only maidens and occasional C5 handicaps. As others have said, the form seems more unreliable and temperament plays a bigger part. One reason many horses are in this grade is their mindset. There are also more horses on the downgrade, it’s a job knowing if the drop in handicap mark is keeping up with their regression.

Am not one that believes skulduggery is rife in racing, but the stuff that goes on is in poorer races. Think if a punter is "in the know" it might be profitable; if not then a very selective approach is called for in this grade.

Was asked if I wanted to put in for a freelance Spotlight writer’s job. Trouble was, at first I’d be working in grade 5 and 6 (naturally). Am very used to doing betting forcasts (though in my case to 100%) in higher standard racing. Did a few dummy runs, but found I was not as accurate as I would wish. So did not put in for it. Have not entirely given up on the idea though.

There may be a way of betting profitably in poor quality racing, but I have not found it yet. Please let me know the secret if you make it pay.

Value Is Everything
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

Relating the issue of low class races to the instinct of the horse, I’d say that the problem with low grade races is that they consist of horses which is the main are either incapable or do not wish to dominate the herd. They may win occasionally but only because they accidentally find themselves in front. The farther you go up the scale the bigger the percentage of horses that seek to dominate their group.

This doesn’t mean you don’t get clear betting opportunities at lower levels, it just means that opportunities will be fewer.

I’m minded of a claiming race I saw at Bath a few years ago won by Brighstone. Brighstone and his chief rival White Plains, a proven winner, dominated the race between them. The remainder raced in a group with Racing Hawk ending in front, but you could have put the same group of 10 together half a dozen times and not got the same third place twice.

Those who read North’s notes will know I’m fascinated by the low level chasers. However, I don’t bet that often in Class 5 chases yet enjoy the study of this grade of performer.

Rob

tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

I think you’re right Rob in that you get fewer opportunities but there are opportunities to make it pay. We’re all different and read races differently, one persons value is anothers barge poll and all that.

doublethetrouble
    • Total Posts 233

thracing,you hit it on the head my friend what’s good for one ,can be bad for others. what i can add is this little system does not work well at all in top races wich seem’s odd i know ,also it does not work in small fields ,so there you go thanks for all the reply’s i have had and that no one as yet have given a sarky remark :)

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

I do find it hard to back winners at my local Haydock on Saturday flat meetings as they have massive handicaps which can boggle the mind but at the lower end meetings that i have been to this years i.e. Ayr,Wolves and Nottingham i have backed at least 3 winners on the card.

The lower grade is a little bit easier i find especially on the flat for me.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Could I propose an honourable exception in the form of Hunter Chases, almost all of which are class 5 or 6.

Very profitable if you get a handle of the PTP form and the stables and jockeys. Bookies hate them, as a rule, which has to be a good indicator.

You can, and yes, they’re exceedingly profitable for some of us for the very reason you’ve mentioned. Roll on February 1st and their resumption…

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

AndyCapp
    • Total Posts 5

I have no worries about backing in class 5, I rarely go into class 6 unless I see something interesting like Ugenius today at Southwell.

I only back on the All Weather so lower class racing goes hand in hand with it.

Some love the uber competitive handicaps at the big meetings, some like me prefer to plunder the sand picking off the "small fry" to me little fish taste just as sweet! :lol:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.