The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Clare Balding To Front C4 Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Clare Balding To Front C4 Racing

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

Reads more like material for a Frankie Boyle ‘joke’ :?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Bear in mind that the person responsible for the coverage will be the same one who was responsible for the BBC’s output of racing (Carl Hicks).
    So there is likely to be some carryover, as we have seen with his first appointment (Claire Balding)

I’ve even heard it rumoured Cornelius Lysaght could switch but surely that’s too far fetched. He has the perfect face for radio.

As Francome & Cattermole have previously been courted by the Beeb they would have to be possibles but of course Francome has ruled himself out.
    John Hunt could also be a possible after his successful Olympics but may prefer to stay on the radio.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Graham Cunningham – will bring some much needed professionalism to the show
    Steve Mellish – likewise but he may prefer to stay on RUK

As far as I’m aware both are engaged on freelance terms only by RUK, so there’s theoretically little stopping either working for C4 Racing under similar conditions if they’re asked.

It’s that same arrangement that permits us to nick both of them periodically for our station, and Sportinglife.com Cunningham for their website podcasts.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

lol yeats if lysaght has the perfect face for radio then what about miss balding,i still remember the let down when i first saw her after hearing her on the old racing bulletin on radio5.
    the main issue has to be..what standard of programme can we expect?

• Total Posts 1800

It doesn’t bother me who is presenting the racing. The most important people in the equation are the camera men and commentator, although I can manage without the latter if necessary.

Most of the build up is made up of facts we already know, duff tipping from the pundits and the spectacle of someone trying to pass a guest jockey or trainer through the mangle in a vain attempt to wring any worthwhile information out regarding a horse’s chance. I once read that Jockeys and Trainers are only exceeded by Politicians in the ability to talk without actually saying anything. Watching Richard Hannon senior on C4 a couple of weeks ago ducking and diving questions regarding the pecking order of his 2 year old string was tedious and irritating, more so because he had already countered descriptions of a workmanlike performance by Toronado by declaring to The Racing Post that he might well be their 2000 Guineas horse next season. Why he couldn’t have just repeated or expanded on that to help the interviewer out and inform viewers who hadn’t perhaps read the piece was beyond me.

I would honestly rather cut the grass between races and let whoever waffle on the usual verbal Dihoryahhighhey

Spot on, I just want to watch the race and can do so without commentary too.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

If you’re so knowledgeable just turn the sound off. I actually like someone telling me what’s going on, even if they do get it wrong sometimes. Which obviously makes me pretty dim I guess….

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

If you’re so knowledgeable just turn the sound off. I actually like someone telling me what’s going on, even if they do get it wrong sometimes. Which obviously makes me pretty dim I guess….

If you are watching a race containing a runner you have money on you only need to focus on the one horse. It is different if you are just casually looking in with no particular interest in any one runner and the guidance of a skilled commentator is then invaluable. Once MY horse is "Out with the washing", I can be watching Dickinson’s Real Deal before the winner reaches the line LOL.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

Thommo’s commentating still makes me chuckle during the closing stages of Frankel’s debut (EBF Maiden Stakes) … "Now what has he got left? There’s not a lot left or is there? Frankel is coming away or is he?" :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

I imagine and hope that Simon Holt and Tanya Stevenson will be the mainstays from the old team.

It would be a major surprise if Holt wasn’t retained and similarly a major one if Stevenson was.

Agree with that. Think there’s hype surrounding Tanya because of the female factor. As a presenter, i think she’s poor.

Boycie would be an excellent addition to the team

Think some are concerned about making the programme appear ‘ upper class ‘ with Balding and Luck, but the vast majority of racing fans are not stupid. They want to be informed. Always seemed to me that McCririck was chosen in the belief that he connected with the ‘ working class ‘ fans and the boozers.

Also think there’s room in the schedule for a review programme, similar to Match Of The Day 2. Looking at good rides, unlucky performances, how successful the tips were…
    If Channel 4 are serious about covering the sport then they need to allocate more than an hour outside of racing coverage

Participant
    • Total Posts 385

I am delighted by this news.

She will bring a professionalism to a programme ( and team ) that has been dying on its ar*e for years.

Wee Willie to follow, I wonder ? :? :shock:

I look forward to seeing Claire on Ch4, and surely (fingers crossed!) she will take this chance to shake off Wee Willie like an annoying fly! :D

Those ladies among us who are of the more statuesque build all know that standing next to someone "petite" is never a good look!
    :D

• Total Posts 433

I’m with you on that one, Nighthorse. Good things might come in small packages, but better things come in bigger ones :D

Or perhaps I should amend that to insert ‘sometimes’ regarding the bigger packages!

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

It has been observed that walking down Newmarket High Street bare some resemblance to the Yellow Brick Road/Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory/A Chimps tea party/Any Tom Sharpe Novel*

* Delete according to views on political correctness.

Participant
    • Total Posts 385

I’m with you on that one, Nighthorse. Good things might come in small packages, but better things come in bigger ones :D

Or perhaps I should amend that to insert ‘sometimes’ regarding the bigger packages!

Hmmm Reetlass, I think there will always be those who possess a Rolls-Royce but cannot drive…… :roll:

Eclipse First had my imagination going crazy there for a moment! "Walking down Newmarket High St BARE" ??? :shock: After all the talk of Wee Willies and Big Packages I wondered where he was going with that one for a second or two! :lol:

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Hmmm Reetlass, I think there will always be those who possess a Rolls-Royce but cannot drive…… :roll:

Eclipse First had my imagination going crazy there for a moment! "Walking down Newmarket High St BARE" ??? :shock: After all the talk of Wee Willies and Big Packages I wondered where he was going with that one for a second or two! :lol:

I blame an impatient 5 year old wanting to watch a barbie movie. :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

It has been observed that walking down Newmarket High Street bare some resemblance to the Yellow Brick Road/Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory/A Chimps tea party/Any Tom Sharpe Novel

Hi ho hi ho it’s off to work we go :?:

By the way ladies, I have a Ford Fiesta (with go-faster stripes) but have passed my advanced driving test :D

Back on topic, I wish Clare Balding well on C4 Racing: she’s a good ‘un

Singing Detective
    • Total Posts 20

Bear in mind that the person responsible for the coverage will be the same one who was responsible for the BBC’s output of racing (Carl Hicks).

This is the bloke who brought us that toffee nosed bloke discussing fashion at Royal Ascot, Laurel and Hardy otherwise known as John Parrott and Gary Willshire doing the betting and latterly Mick Fitzgerald. Can anyone remember the awful Grand National coverage in recent years ?

This bloke is ore of a worry to me than any presenters being in or out, thank God for Racing UK.

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

thats the thing isnt it?…if they make the new show too good people will watch that and not subscribe to racinguk so my fear is that it will be even more dumbed down than the present efforts.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.