The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Christmas Hurdle 2011

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Christmas Hurdle 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Gazs Way De SolzenGazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2441

A race which i really look forward to.

Looks like Overturn and Binocular are going to renew their rivalry.

The others in the race –

Clerk’s Choice
    Drill Sergeant
    Olofi
    Rock On Ruby
    Sanctuaire.

I really like Overturn, he is such a gutsy and determined horse, but i think if Binocular is fit, and is a genuine challenger to Hurricane Fly’s Champion Hurdle title, then he will want to be winning this one.

DannyDanny
    • Total Posts 790

Binoculars best days look behind him imo, expect overturn to run well again but hes aldeady ran a good few times this season which could make him vunerable couldnt it?
    Was very impressed with Rock on Ruby last time out and for me hes the one to be on.

Wouldnt su[list:2dnmfoxn][/list:u:2dnmfoxn]rprise me if Sanctuaire ran a good race either.

MarkTTMarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2730

DM said that Overturn was going to be given a rest after the Fighting Fifth !!
    Still think it’s Binocular’s, although Rock On Ruby’s form is looking better and better after the win of Raya Star

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5901

BINOCULAR at 9/4 is my tip here

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

Binocular is over-rated. Overturn is over-raced. IMO :D

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

andymc123andymc123
    • Total Posts 6

Its hard to pick the winner. I like Overturn but wouldn’t be completely confident about his chances. Im not sure Rock On Ruby will have enough speed for 2 miles around Kempton and Binocular has been struggling since winning this last year. Sanctuaire might have a chance but I think he needs Ruby to be riding him though.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17530

Very hopeful of a big run from Rock On Ruby.

Been betting him for The Champion Hurdle since early summer, and managed to snap up all the big prices up to 200’s. Really need a big run here to keep my hopes up. I’m fairly confident he can he go close in this, his win at Newbury was very encouraging. Fingers very crossed!

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

Binocular is over-rated. Overturn is over-raced. IMO :D

Agree with both, which is why I shall be punting on Rock on Ruby. Raya Star nicely franking the form last week.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

The flat track will suit Overturn, but the sharp trip won’t.
    Rock On Ruby also needs a stiffer test, so Binocular should win this just as easily as last season, and is a confident selection.

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

When Binocular was right he made Overturn look very ordinary in this same race.

No amount of imagination could bring the two together if Binocular bounced back to his best but sadly as much as I would like to see it I think something is amiss with the horse.

He was said to be working better than ever before Newcastle and travelled well but when asked to go and win his race there was nothing like the old sparkle in the locker.

You could argue he needed it but unless everyone at Seven Barrows was telling lies that clearly wasn’t the case. He was expected to win and he didn’t and when you consider Nicky was firing in winners by the half dozen that can only add to the worry of backing him.

Rock on Ruby keeps surprising people, he’s gone off fav only twice but won 5 races. He gave 24lbs to and a 6 length beating to Empire Levant who if ROR hadn’t run would have been hailed a right horse having beaten the subsequent Ladbroke winner Raystar by 4 1/2 lengths.

Last year I was telling anyone who opposed Binocular they were stone mad but this year I can’t bring myself to back him.

I realise this is a step up in class for Rock on Ruby but he’s really tough and could cause an upset.

I’m backing him but it won’t be much as I still want to cheer Binocular home if he should bounce back.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

HGM
    As I recall, the stable were equally bullish about Binocular for the Fighting Fifth last season, so much so that he went off 5/6 fav. He was beaten further than he was this time round, only to reverse the form at Kempton – to the tune of 12l with Starluck.

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

You’re mind is playing tricks on you Reet.

Last year Nicky referred to the year before saying he wasn’t that confident he’d win and he wasn’t any more confident this time (2010) round. He did say he had him in better nick than in 2009 but added that wouldn’t be hard as he clearly wasn’t right that day. Or words to that affect. You may remember AP saying he never felt like the same horse and JP saying he wouldn’t win the Champion Hurdle based on that run

He had won the Champion Hurdle and Peddlars was just coming out of the novice ranks last season. AP said he had done a nice piece of work and the punters lumped on.

Nicky put out a warning saying his job was to make sure he was fit for March and the FF was just a stepping stone and a good starting place. He would not be drawn to saying he thought he would win.

Like Kauto Star he had something to prove this year. With Hurricane Fly now Champion and looking near unbeatable they decided to make sure he was fitter this year and at least get one or two good prize under his belt.

I doubt very much if Overturn has improved at all this season and if Binocular was thought to be at his best he’d be gambled off the boards and end up 1.4 to beat a horse he is clearly much better than, on his day.

No one will be happier than me to see him win in the same manner as he did in his last head to head with Overturn but he is far from certain to oblige IMO

AraziArazi
    • Total Posts 263

Really would love to see Binocular win this. A returning to form performance from Binocular would certainly add more excitement to an already intriguing 2m Hurdling division.

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

A year ago Overturn OR 159: Binocular 171

Now: Overturn 166: Binocular 164

Although Brampour’s daft mark post-Bula shows the handicapper can get things badly wrong, I’ve no doubt that he’s about right with these two though the McCain horse throws in the odd bad one when he’s had too much racing and he might well be close to that limit now.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

should be straightforward for binocular. overturn overraced and not convinced this sharp track will suit rock on ruby.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.