The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Christie’s Foxhunters

Home Forums Horse Racing Christie’s Foxhunters

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    zome
    • Total Posts 232

No Retreat at 66/1 !??!  Brilliant e/w value considering his recent performances.<br>I know he’s no spring chicken, but I think he’ll run really well.<br>Thoughts?

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Granted a swamp, maybe, though in losing to Tinarana Lord at Bangor last time he was hardly undone by a young, improving type.

I’m quite sweet on the chances of Patches, whose trainer Paul Barber knows a bit about getting horses to win the Foxhunters with no previous runs under Rules in the same season – Fantus did just that for him in 1995 and 1997.

The two point-to-point courses at which he has already registered Open wins this winter, Larkhill and Milborne St Andrew, both constitute pretty decent tests of jumping and staying, and as long as he can cope with the likely very bad ground I couldn’t dismiss him lightly.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Happy JackHappy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Not very often that I disagree with you, Mr Column, but I think Patches is extremely bad value at the current prices. He didn’t look the strongest of stayers under Rules, when connections seemed to avoid soft ground like the plague (both point wins this season have come on goodish ground too). I don’t think his recent form is anything special and it looks as though if he was trained/owned by anyone else he would be double his current price.

For me, Whyso Mayo looks close to banker material.

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello

A lady rider called Polly Gundry has excellent form in thses types of races. Not sure she goes under the Gundry name now, married me thinks.

But agree Barber/Gundry combination is worth looking at, if still going. ;)

regards,

doyley

Happy JackHappy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Doyley

Polly Gundry hasn’t had a ride for Barber for over two years – Rachael Green rides the majority of his horses these days. For what it’s worth I don’t think Polly has been riding very well at all this season – the fact that she has started training a few pointers this season seems to suggest that she may be starting to wind down.

Perhaps you’re thinking of Polly Curling, who used to ride quite a lot for Barber but has been retired for several years now.

(Edited by Happy Jack at 5:28 pm on Mar. 12, 2007)

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Quote: from Happy Jack on 5:09 pm on Mar. 12, 2007[br]<br>For me, Whyso Mayo looks close to banker material.<br>

Totally agree. The drying ground can only help, although it doesn’t seem to matter. Wolf in sheeps clothing this horse I think.. Class above most of these..

Edited: Looking at his time last year he might have finished in the top 6 in the gold cup on that run… Or not far off anyway..<br>

(Edited by Aragorn at 5:32 pm on Mar. 12, 2007)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I don’t watch much of hunters but Racheal Green has looked more than competent the few times I have seen her, the odd time under rules for Nicholls and on Mouseki the other day.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

I thought if Whyso Mayo won i’d have had the forecast but the second horse hasn’t been declared.

Looks a weak renewal of this race to me this year, doesn’t have the class of previous years or competitive nature.  On rules form i’d side with Patches who looked promising for Nicholls a couple of seasons back but is only young (6 or 7 maybe now?).

sandpiper
    • Total Posts 16

I like the chances of Head on the Ground, ran a good time at Cheltenham. Was a good effort behind Spot the Difference in December.

regards

Sandpiper

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Irish Stamp on 8:26 pm on Mar. 12, 2007[br]<br> On rules form i’d side with Patches who looked promising for Nicholls a couple of seasons back but is only young (6 or 7 maybe now?).<br>

<br>Looks like that’s two of us against HJ and for Patches, then! It’s the two-sided thing of whether you damn Patches’ point-to-point wins as being routinely unimpressive conquerings of older, fatter rivals; or start to convince yourself that there is a lot more to come than taking on that lesser opposition so far has enabled him to show.

I just take the view that Barber is under no obligation to run a horse in the race, especially one without any other Rules experience this year (and for quite some time before that); and that the precedence for him winning it with a charge only raced between the flags in preparation is certainly there.

The drying ground counts as a big plus also, and swings things away from Bica a bit in my estimation.

Whyso Mayo is as short as he is for a reason, and as this is another very ordinary renewal (as Martin rightly stated), expecting anything to topple him with confidence is tricky. However, having laid Amaretto Rose, Detroit City, Well Chief and BJK already this week I feel suitably emboldened. In addition to Patches, I think a few coins each-way on Climate Control (who will appreciate this better surface) and Honourable Spider (another one of very few genuinely progressive types in the race) may be in order for me.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Bica’s form looks to be worth buttons and would be about 4 times the price but for the Waley Cohen connection.

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Im on Honourable Spider at a decent price ew

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

TDK<br>This is why this is a good sport as in the end its all a matter of opinion but   Arctic Times and Climate Control you put up I have considered as lays the reason being this is a race that normally goes to the younger horses.<br>Over the past 16 years this race has been won by just 1 horse that has been 10 years or older that excludes your two.

(Edited by Seagull at 10:32 am on Mar. 16, 2007)<br>

(Edited by Seagull at 10:33 am on Mar. 16, 2007)

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

I’m probably (hope nobody minds me saying) the biggest Arctic Times fan in the world (bar the O’Sullivan yard) but he just can’t do it on the racecourse.  He’s amazing in the pointing field, i’d take him to beat any of todays rivals but he struggles to jump at speed.

There are worse 50/1 bets in the race though considering he has a beating of Ned Kelly (less than half his price) to his credit this season.

Martin

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

TDK<br>As I said only ‘considerations’ but if it starts well could be an interest ‘in running’.

Overall its quite a weak race Whyso Mayo looks far ahead of the the rest and the 2 wins this year show the horse to be in good form but thats reflected in the poor value on offer. The win last year was no fluke as it went on to win at Punchestown.<br>At the prices I will take my chance with Honouable Spider win and place.<br>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.