The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Choice of current Jockey in a driving finish?

Home Forums Horse Racing Choice of current Jockey in a driving finish?

Viewing 8 posts - 35 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Drone the answer to your questions is yes.Had you reversed the sequence the answer would have been no.

Participant
    • Total Posts 404

I’d agree with what a lot of others said Mc coy and Fallon,wouldn’t agree with Ryan Moore however,he’s good but only good in my opinion,any time i’ve a horse battling it out with him i feel fairly confident.I’d put Eddie Ahern and Fran Berry just behind Fallon and over jumps Paddy flood when he’s fit and on form always does a great job for me!That might be just talking through my pockets though.

• Total Posts 12

I’m not much good at this flat game…but from what I’ve seen I think Moore has some strength in the saddle in a driving finish.

Over jumps it would have to be McCoy, I’ve seen him drive horses that look beat and get up to win. I also rate Dickie and Timmy Murphy in a finish. I think that Daryl Jacob and Wayne Kavanagh are underrated too.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Interesting statistics bluechariot so thanks.
    Just goes to show how misleading some stats can be. Dettori apparently the strongest in a finish, whereas Moore one of the least strong.
    I don’t think that anyone in their right mind thinks that Ryan Moore is a poor finisher. Its almost as absurd as claiming that in years gone by Pat Eddery and Lester Piggott were regularly outbattled

• Total Posts 7

McCoy dishes out the beef in a driving finish like no other yet I believe Ruby would eek out more all other factors being equal……thats why hes the greatest at present despite the stats

compare Andy Cole v Wayne Rooney
    Kris Boyd v Henrik Larsson

who has the best record or who would u prefer on ur side?

Flat Jockeys

Frankie – in the big races
    Gannon – on a Tuesday at Wolverhampton :wi :shock: :shock: nk:

Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

Wouldn’t it be fair to say that Frankie is living proof that you don’t have to be Mike Tyson-like to be affective in a finish?

Unlike a lot of jockeys Frankie almost never moves his body position. seldom unbalances a horse but gets every possible ounce out of them

Your words sum up the problem I have with the phrase ‘strong jockey’. I’ve yet to have it adequately explained.

It seems to be aimed at jockeys who fling their arms, legs and whips around in a finish rather than necessarily get the ‘most’ from their mounts. ‘Strong’ behaviour in the saddle may be visually appealing (or not) and may give the impression that jockeys prone to this behaviour get more from their mounts

Was Lester Piggott ‘stronger’ than Steve Cauthen?
    Was Pat Eddery ‘stronger’ than Joe Mercer or Kevin Darley?
    Is Tony McCoy ‘stronger’ than Timmy Murphy?

To the untrained eye perhaps rousting whip-flourishing finishes are easier to quantify than the quiet, balanced push with hands and heels; hence the love of jockeys regarded as ‘strong’

I know AP McCoy gets a lot of winners, but in my point of view he’s better on hurdlers, and how many times does he get the best out of the animal. To win in what seems like an impossible position. Ruby too deserves credit for being a strong finisher.

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

Ryan Moore or the Aussies Zac Purton and Brett Prebble for me. Fallon too.
    Although I wonder how much of a difference there is between a flamboyant and hard pushing top jockey and a less-animated top jockey.

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

Flat – J.Fortune

NH – Mccoy/R.Johnson

personally think fortune is **** hot in a finish, very strong. i read in a racing paper a while back that fallon rated fortune as one of the strongest finishers in racing. and as for the debate between ruby and mccoy, after watching the wichita lineman race at cheltenham, i dont even think ruby could get that much out of a horse. dickie johnson is strong in a finish aswell, but always very hesitant at the last, his ride on menorah is a good strong finish though in the supreme. i do like geraghty aswell, but thought his ride as a professional was quite bad on poquelin. should of kicked on sooner, they know the old boy monets garden always battles on until the line.

Viewing 8 posts - 35 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.