The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Choice of current Jockey in a driving finish?

Home Forums Horse Racing Choice of current Jockey in a driving finish?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1083

After the mixed views on Richard Hills, I’ll start…

My choice, Ryan Moore.

• Total Posts 43

obviously you referring to the flats which i find crap

in jump racing, the one jockey i admire for his grit and determination and over taking from way back in the straight is Mr Barry Geraghty

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Hard to disagree with Moore. When Murtagh is ‘on it’ he is up there, one of my favourites, the Duke in the King George. As with Fallon too.

National Hunt, how anyone could go anything apart from a certain AP McCoy is beyond me!

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Agree totally with McCoy. The ride on the McCain animal in the last at Haydock today had to be seen to be believed. Didnt panic in the slightest when he pulled himself up, and then got him to put it all in in driving for the line

• Total Posts 980

Agree totally with McCoy. The ride on the McCain animal in the last at Haydock today had to be seen to be believed. Didnt panic in the slightest when he pulled himself up, and then got him to put it all in in driving for the line

No panic from the jockey, plenty in the stands!
    I’ve never seen so many people have to sprint down quite so many stairs to retrieve their lost tickets. It’s a good job it was in the last after alot had gone home, otherwise it could’ve been a full scale riot.

On the subject of Haydock today you Racing For Change people: the number of bookies offering Win Only for that last race was something else. Not offering e/w in a 13 runner field? You’ve got to be kidding.

• Total Posts 1083

I would go as far as to say Tony McCoy is twice as good as any nh jockey in a driving finish, that includes Walsh, Gerraghty and Johnson.

trapper john
    • Total Posts 195

would have to agree about mccoy very good in a finish also always thought jimmy fortune was very strong in a finish

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

McCoy in his BMW would take some beating :)

McCoy and Moore are pretty obvious but outside of them and not so up there Dougie Costello without a shadow of a doubt and David Probert seldom loses out when the chips are down.

• Total Posts 336

Wouldn’t look much beyond Davy Russell, for evidence watch the 3.15 at Punchestown yesterday on Far Away So Close

Participant
    • Total Posts 221

As far as NH is concerned McCoy is the best by far when a horse needs to be pushed right out to the line, i would imagine he is the strongest jockey physically in both disciplines, NH and flat, even when he falls off he rarely seems to get hurt too badly!!

I think when on song Fallon is the best for a drive on the flat, i have seen him win many races that ohter jockies would of lost for certain all down to the infamous fallon drive!!

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Apart from the usual suspects, I wouldn’t back many against Catherine Gannon in tight finish right now. I honestly wouldn’t.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

In a driving finish I would rather be on the stronger horse than the stronger jockey, 1 ton of animal how effective is a 9st man really…

Fallonman
    • Total Posts 35

In a driving finish I would rather be on the stronger horse than the stronger jockey, 1 ton of animal how effective is a 9st man really…

Quite but that wasn’t your original question.
    Also are you trying to say that if two identical horses in terms of ability are ridden by Celia Ponsonby Smyth and AP.McCoy respectively that the horse ridden by AP wouldn’t win. I think you will find that a jockey is very effective.
    You could also ask Drill Sergeant if he thought AP was effective.

leither
    • Total Posts 114

R Moore for me no question,as far as Drill Sargeant is concerned he won because he was the best horse AP could not do much as far as the horse trying to pull himself up up was concerned but any of the top jocks would done the same as AP and before any says a word i think ap is a great jock.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

No question for me in a driving finish I’d rather be with Jim Crowley than anyone else on the flat. Over jumps it’s even easier – AP.

• Total Posts 2

On the flat I’ll go with Ryan Moore up.
    AP McCoy is above all.

• Total Posts 6

Ruby is stronger than mccoy especially in ireland where he gets away with more from the stewards

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.