The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

cheltenham & xmas festivals

Home Forums Horse Racing cheltenham & xmas festivals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

My grandchildren get excited about christmas far too early, probably a month before, but they are all under 10 years old.

what excuse grown men have for all this hype about cheltenham is quite sad,

why not calm down its only another race meeting, most people have been a lot more than me, ( probably 20 full festivals), I find the whole experience a big let down and very samee.

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

There are crazily passionate horse enthusiasts out there, like myself. I’ve been to the past 6 Melbourne Cup Carnivals (all four days) and I don’t see myself ever stopping. And it would be the same with Cheltenham, too.

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

You should try the Glastonbury festival Barry, you would have a lot more fun.

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

m deering, did that oz bit only lasted 3 races 1st 2 days, boring.

hey glastonbury, will give it a go

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Are you out of love with the game Barry?

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3073

I think the racing media account for 99% of the hype, I agree it is incredibly boring day after day for the preceding 6 months to the Festival.
    Anything wins a novice hurdle and the ante post quotes are flying from the RUK presenters. I love it when it’s on but would have no qualms about missing if I had a decent horse.

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

davidbrady

10 years ago 250 meetings a year mostly grass good quality.

this year, potentially 420 meetings , 90% dross, 50%aw

you tell me

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

You sound a bit depressed lately Barry.

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

retire Barry and join Barmy Army

Young Mick
    • Total Posts 203

I can’t agree with you there, for me it is the first festival where there is a true clash of titans, in more than one race. I have only been into horse racing since I went to the King George to see kicking king and I have been hooked since.

I think it is important to look forward to such evens because if you don’t then whats the point of following racing. You watch the sport throughout the year for occasions like this.

Also, I look forward to Christmas over a month in advance but the thing I now look forward to is the King George, and it is nice to see all the best horses racing against each other for once when they are all at the peak of their fitness.

I also look forward to it because it is the first time I will be going to Cheltenham. I hope I still feel the same in 20 and 40 years, because what is the joy if you cant get excited over a big race coming up. Might aswell not follow horseracing…

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

charlie,

ENGLAND cricket??? pass the pills I am depressed

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Most punters agree with you Barry – that’s why we look forward to 4 days of decent racing although the more races are added, the more the quality is diluted

When something becomes a job it loses a lot of it’s appeal

David Feherty used to say that he hated playing golf – standing over a putt knowing that if he missed it it could cost him maybe 30-40K.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I love Cheltenham but have to agree that the whole season revolving around 4 days in March is getting a bit tedious. it’s a bit sad when David Pipe won’t "risk" Osana this weekend because it’s too close to Cheltenham. It’s a month for God’s sake, and he could step on a stone next tuesday!

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Cheltenham is not only the highlight of the jumps season, it’s the highlight of the year for me.

As soon as the last race of the festival is run, I’m looking forward to the next one already. I lock myself in a room for weeks and watch re-runs of the festival over and over again.

I’m even known to invite my mates round for a Cheltenham party in mid summer. When they tell me Cheltenham isn’t on in the summer, I say, "..but I’ve got the 2005 festival on DVD" – and my mates are round like a flash.

It’s great Barry, I’ll send you an invite for the next one if you like :D

Christmas is for kids, Cheltenham is for adults – but they create the same buzz and excitement – and quite often, they both cost you a fortune :lol:

Mike

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3215

Not the same thing at all Barry – can you picture several hundred people turning up at a hotel to listen to a couple of elves, the bloke who mucks out the reindeer, the PR man for Toys’R’Us, and a professional party planner give a Christmas preview ?

AP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.