The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheltenham Gold Cup 2010

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheltenham Gold Cup 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 337 total)
  • Author
    Seventy Four
    Participant
    • Total Posts 155

So much for all the hype and the supposed two horse race !!! :roll:

Imperial Commander is a fine horse and it sounds as if he absolutely trotted up there – well done to Nigel Twiston-Davies and Paddy Brennan.This is a horse with a very good record at the course,ran Kauto Star very close at Haydock, and is generally a fine jumper.

I am delighted with the result !!! :D

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Can anyone tell me what the point was in running Mon Mome here as a prep for the GN? He’s run his heat out and got a fantastic third, but it’ll surely leave its mark on him with Aintree round the corner?

• Total Posts 980

Can anyone tell me what the point was in running Mon Mome here as a prep for the GN? He’s run his heat out and got a fantastic third, but it’ll surely leave its mark on him with Aintree round the corner?

I disagree with that a little. He was absoloutely nowhere two out, he must have fairly sprinted up the hill.

I’m more convinced he can retain the GN now than ever.

Although I do, like you wonder whether a month is enough to get some fitness back in him.

leither
    • Total Posts 114

If there is won thing i have learned from this game after 40 years and part ownership it is never to listen to hype.

• Total Posts 1537

I was pretty speechless. Great run from Imperial Commander, that humble pie is choking me. :lol:

He was always travelling well, and after Kauto went the writing was on the wall. I’m pleased for trainer and jockey, they deserve it.

• Total Posts 980

i would rather spend the £1 e/w on 2 tins of beer instead of 500/1 and 100/1 mon mome cerium shots.

Never underestimate ‘The Legend’ If Vida Bingham ever tires of him, he can come & live round my house.

Wish I’d put the bet on when he was 100/1 though!

• Total Posts 2440

I was pretty speechless. Great run from Imperial Commander, that humble pie is choking me. :lol:

He was always travelling well, and after Kauto went the writing was on the wall. I’m pleased for trainer and jockey, they deserve it.

Don’t be greedy, pass it around, i said Imperial Commander wouldnt stay.

I think i was proven wrong in a big, big way, a fine performance, and a very worthy Champion.

Magistretti
    • Total Posts 74

My beloved Kauto was done after that first mistake – took any race he had out of him. I’m just glad he and Ruby got up ok.

Lovely to see Denman run another big race but IC wasn’t to be denied. I really wasn’t expecting that. Fantastic win by Imperial Commander.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

I disagree with that a little. He was absoloutely nowhere two out, he must have fairly sprinted up the hill.

I’m more convinced he can retain the GN now than ever.

Although I do, like you wonder whether a month is enough to get some fitness back in him.

That’s all I was saying!

There’s no doubt Mon Mome was in great fettle today and, for me, put in a career best performance; it’s just that I never thought GC’s were ever used a ‘prep races’ for GN’s, unless connections thought they could make it pay by running into a place. A good decision in hindsight financially, but in terms of improving their chances in the GN, it was a strange decision. The martell meet is notoriously a graveyard for Cheltenham horses.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I have to be honest, I’ve never been so gutted to see a horse fall. Kauto’s sparkle just wasn’t there after the first mistake. I really hope he can reproduce the form of last year’s Gold Cup win in the future.

If he can’t then one things for sure: Weapon’s Amnesty is the horse to next year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Had to laugh at Twister saying to Thommo that he doesn’t stay and maybe they should come back for the Ryanair next year…quality. :lol:

Excellent performance from IC, travelled beautifully all the way round and jumped superbly. Was no mean feat beating Denman as comprehensively as that, will take a good ‘un to stop him retaining his crown next year…

So pleased Kauto got up and all is well with him too.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Don’t like how NTD had a swipe at the whole Denman V Kauto thing and at the punters who said he wouldnt get the trip, Kauto will be rememberd much longer than Imperial Commander will ever be. Every dog has its day.

• Total Posts 980

Don’t like how NTD had a swipe at the whole Denman V Kauto thing and at the punters who said he wouldnt get the trip, Kauto will be rememberd much longer than Imperial Commander will ever be. Every dog has its day.

Why shouldn’t he? All the hype must’ve driven the other trainers crazy. He’s entitled to say his piece when so many had suggested his horse might as well not turn up.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I agree with NTD. Channel 4 and the Racing Press have been attempting to turn the Gold Cup into some sort of racing equivalent to the FA Cup final in which everybody has to be one side or other and has to nail their colours to the mast. This rubbish of selling Denman or Kauto scarves at the course is cringe-worthy.

Racing is not Football, and never will be thank God.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Kauto and Denman have carried the National Hunt game for the last 4 years, no horse leading up to the Cheltenham Gold Cup had the profile off either horse so why should we not glorify their achievement to Racing?.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Hedgehunter was 2nd then 2nd in the national off top weight. Can’t be all bad!

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Well done Imperial Commander, Paddy Brennan and Nigel Twiston- Davies. Maybe poetic justice for the horse’s Haydock "defeat" ?

It proves one thing, if little else: i.e. a horse can run like a baby elephant at Kempton in December, yet still be capable of winning a Cheltenham Gold Cup in March. :wink:

Denman ran a cracker but Kauto Star was disappointing. Ruby Walsh didn’t look entirely happy at any stage. The mistake and fall aside, I still don’t think he’d have beaten the winner in any case.

No 11 year old has won the Cheltenham Gold Cup since Mandarin in 1962, so it’s hard to envisage Kauto Star being up to repeating his previous successes at Prestbury Park, though it is not inconceivable that he could win a fifth King George – though I think he has a serious rival in Long Run to contend with later in the year – so long as a professional rider is aboard.

Oh, and let’s hear no more silly talk about Kauto Star being the equal of… well, you know who. :wink: :P

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 337 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.