The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Channel 4 Presenters – Sorry But Bring The Old Team Back

Home Forums Horse Racing Channel 4 Presenters – Sorry But Bring The Old Team Back

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

Personally speaking I would rather
    watch the whole racing in silence.
    This is getting quite a lot easier for
    me :mrgreen:
    Some information can be put up on the
    screen, but ear shots of horses breathing
    and galloping down would be tremendous.
    Allow the starter’s shouts to be heard

Obviously there must be a commentary
    during the race, but back to silence
    after the finish. And no jockey’s views
    before or after on pain of death of
    Channel four.

I suppose what I am saying in plain
    english is cut the crap !

Gamble – I totally agree with the above. If you can’t attend the racecourse then watching it live on TV is the next best alternative. But how many get enthused by the CH4 content at present?

I want to taste & smell the horses, the races, the atmosphere of the crowd…..don’t get that from the guys sitting in a booth I’m afraid.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I want to taste & smell the horses,

Bit concerning Oasis! You the sort who takes a portable BBQ to the races with you then? :lol: I can just see you sat by the open ditch with a set of carving knifes and a bottle of Chianti!! :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 16965

Being at the winning post and hearing the thundering hooves go past and the yell of the crowd is something that I am fortunate to be able to experience, but understand that there are those who are unable to go to the races and rely on their TV coverage.

As for the Morning Line I remember when the presenters used to chat and laugh and we laughed with them.

I don’t really care if Rishi Persad can ride a horse (badly) at Cheltenham or if Rebecca Curtis can train horses whilst changing nappies and making a cup of tea :roll: or even what a particular Bookie thinks might run well (some hopes he will let on what’s moving at his offices :roll: ) I want to see re runs of those fancied horses last races and in depth interviews with their trainers.

I can remember years back an interview with Simon Crisford, who has the worst Poker face in the business, when Godolphin had two horses running in the same race and when he spoke about the outsider of the two he couldn’t keep the grin off his face you just knew it was going to run well..it did and it won at 20/1..can’t remember the name but those were the days when you could get a few ‘crafty’ clues from watching the Morning Line now it’s really only for checking out non runners and abandoned meetings.
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

[quote="Gingertipster)

When are "incredibly boring" pundits not "boring pundits"?
    It would seem, when mentioned in the same post by Eddie. :lol:

Or maybe when Gingertipster is incapable of differentiating between presenters and pundits, I note you put "pundits" on the end of incredibly boring when I didn’t.

Is it not possible to find some of the C4 cubbyhole chat incredibly boring as well as some of the pundits on RUK boring?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Personally speaking I would rather
    watch the whole racing in silence.
    This is getting quite a lot easier for
    me :mrgreen:
    Some information can be put up on the
    screen, but ear shots of horses breathing
    and galloping down would be tremendous.
    Allow the starter’s shouts to be heard

Obviously there must be a commentary
    during the race, but back to silence
    after the finish. And no jockey’s views
    before or after on pain of death of
    Channel four.

I suppose what I am saying in plain
    english is cut the crap !

I’m sure you remember Radio 1’s ‘Sounds of the Seventies’ programme broadcast on weekdays between 2200 and 0000

There was a short-lived experiment called ‘Sequence’ featuring two hours of unintroduced, uninterrupted music with only artist, album and track name given, after the piece was played. Pete Drummond was the DJ chosen to supply the automaton voice-over and if I recall correctly the show met with fairly universal condemnation…I liked it :)

Cut the crap indeed

Participant
    • Total Posts 4714

How do I become a betting expert on tv? Could spend hours a day studying markets and don’t think I’d get bored! Or does my dad need to be David Pipe/Paul Nichols/A Channel 4 director?

Good question.

Do you have in-depth knowledge of the subject matter, a basic pre-requisite one would have thought?

Do you possess the ability to speak clearly and coherently, something one would consider a basic skill of any journalist?

Are you physically attractive and have an outgoing personality, traits which one would have thought essential if younger viewers are to be attracted to the sport?

If you can answer "No" to these three questions, the job should be yours.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5686

Post recession gambling sports were always
    going to be a bit of an embarrassment to TV
    producers, particularly as the it was based
    on hype and few people got real money down,
    well possibly on course if you had a history
    but to ten bob in the shops.

I think Magic radio used to play three records
    without interruption. Cricket and tennis also
    played the anonymity card to good effect, oh and
    golf – all with very pregnant pauses.

This character the Voice, from the fifties, was successfully heard but but never seen. Channel four take note…

Somewhat reminiscent of Biggles, Gary Halliday was a pilot for a commercial airline, the Halliday Charter Company, and flew to his various adventures in an aircraft with the call sign Golf Alpha Oboe Roger George. He was assisted by co-pilot Bill Dodds, played by Terence Alexander, who was later better known for his role of Charlie in "Bergerac". The airline’s control base station was Lima Foxtrot.
    Their arch-enemy was a character known as

The Voice,

played by Elwyn Brook-Jones, so called because he was never seen by the other characters, so that at the end of each series he could escape, and reappear in the next. Invisible even to his own gang, The Voice always shone a powerful light in their faces to disguise his identity thereby remaining anonymous.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Typically inept Rishi Persad comment today saying the ground was riding heavy and gruelling at Warwick, when after the first three races it was obvious that it was no worse than soft.

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

Even more inept phil was the fact that they had Sam twiston Davies on the morning line yet failed to mention that he’s the new rider of big bucks despite the news being in this mornings sun!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

As for the Morning Line I remember when the presenters used to chat and laugh and we laughed with them.

I remember the first bit. Not the second, though.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 16965

:lol: Maybe I meant at them Mike :wink:
    At least Sam Twiston Davis saved punters plunging on African Gold today. He was very upfront about the horses chances. I’d picked him out but didn’t back him because of Sam’s cautionary words.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Even more inept phil was the fact that they had Sam twiston Davies on the morning line yet failed to mention that he’s the new rider of big bucks despite the news being in this mornings sun!

That was very poor, it wouldn’t have happened if Big Mac was still there :lol: He used to go through all the papers and pick out one or two useful snippets such as this. Maybe the present incumbents are just too lazy.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

That was very poor, it wouldn’t have happened if Big Mac was still there :lol: He used to go through all the papers and pick out one or two useful snippets such as this. Maybe the present incumbents are just too lazy.

Staggering that the the best hurdler in training gets a new jockey,the same jockey sat in front of the TV cameras and not one person mentions it.Obviously ‘The Sun’ paid well for the scoop but it was

old

news come showtime.Channel 4 pride themselves on ‘Morning line’ guests tipping up a winner,yesterday they shot themselves in the foot failing to discuss this topic.Incompetence from the Producer down.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I would have thought that the days racing was more important. Maybe Sam had asked for it not to be mentioned?

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

I would have thought that the days racing was more important.

It’s not usually, maybe they could have referred to it in the time they wasted on that tedious Rishi charity ride update.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16965

Here, here Eddie..

It’s great that Rishi is taking part in a Charity Race at the Festival but to see his progress week after week at the expense of topical and important news items concerning The Festival is a complete waste of air time. They didn’t even discuss the return of the doped Godolphin horses in Meydan last week, I believe Steeler ran unplaced there, it’s all being kept very hush hush IMO.

They could have easily filmed Rishi’s progress over the coming months and then put together half hour special say a week before the Festival, that means we could all

‘fast forward’

to where Rishi’s frame gets lighter and more toned and the horse is doing a lot more than a canter around the schooling ring. At present I don’t think anyone is interested in seeing him doing push ups in his garden with his personal trainer. :roll:

Brillian tribute to Terry Biddlecombe though, what a fantastic character he was, certainly don’t make them like that anymore.
    Jac

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Maybe Sam had asked for it not to be mentioned?

More than likely Moehat.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.